HAM radio

That's a myth. Cat's whiskers on the other hand.
Eek.gif

It's been a while since I've had my radio set up. Supermatelot's death made this hard for me, as we went through the licensing at the same time.

But I think I'm through that negative association now, and got my radio back up and running today. Currently running wsjt-x on a Raspberry Pi controlling the set. Just had a contact in Italy, so it all still works.

Having a bit of trouble setting up GridTracker on the Pi; it has some dependencies that it's struggling to meet. I'll figure it out, but time to go for a beer and cook dinner.

73s de KO4MPX

It's been a while since I've had my radio set up. Supermatelot's death made this hard for me, as we went through the licensing at the same time.

But I think I'm through that negative association now, and got my radio back up and running today. Currently running wsjt-x on a Raspberry Pi controlling the set. Just had a contact in Italy, so it all still works.

Having a bit of trouble setting up GridTracker on the Pi; it has some dependencies that it's struggling to meet. I'll figure it out, but time to go for a beer and cook dinner.

73s de PERSEC
Whatever his personal issues, he was a catalyst and inspiration. There have been nearly a thousand posts to the thread. It has been viewed over forty two thousand times and several new callsigns have resulted. Others have taken up listening and exploring various signals on SDR or tracking down arcing sockets and noise sources with a pocket radio. Keep it up and keep posting updates.

Whatever his personal issues, he was a catalyst and inspiration. There have been nearly a thousand posts to the thread. It has been viewed over forty two thousand times and several new callsigns have resulted. Others have taken up listening and exploring various signals on SDR or tracking down arcing sockets and noise sources with a pocket radio. Keep it up and keep posting updates.

Me being one of them…

In all honesty, I cracked out the licenses as quickly as I did partly to be competitive with him. All seems a bit childish now. His achievement was much greater than mine, I was really only revising stuff that had been my bread and butter for years, albeit with a 20 year hiatus.

But you’re right, he was certainly a catalyst. His crystal radio thread was great too.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Exactly. You had the interest but just needed some motivation. You found it. :thumright:

Actually that was me. It was due to a suggestion by @Joshua Slocum 4 years ago.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...-radios-spy-sets-radio-related-thread.268675/
I found the entire thread thought provoking and inspirational
it also made me look up lots of old stuff
growing up I was always fascinated by the ability to hear the human voice from hundreds of miles away, and being given a 52 set opened an entire new world of music and speech
even now I carry 2 radios in my works kit, a roberts one for music, and a small Sony Short wave one for when I work unsociable hours, or travel, being able to listen in to the world still gives me a thrill I felt as a child

I found the entire thread thought provoking and inspirational
it also made me look up lots of old stuff
growing up I was always fascinated by the ability to hear the human voice from hundreds of miles away, and being given a 52 set opened an entire new world of music and speech
even now I carry 2 radios in my works kit, a roberts one for music, and a small Sony Short wave one for when I work unsociable hours, or travel, being able to listen in to the world still gives me a thrill I felt as a child
I don't recall exactly when I was lucky enough to be given a medium wave pocket radio. Somehow they seemed to break but after that I was seldom without a radio of some description. Almost anyone else seemed content with the main BBC stations, Luxembourg at night etc. I was intrigued by all the other stuff. Accents, odd noises, signals etc.

I don't recall exactly when I was lucky enough to be given a medium wave pocket radio. Somehow they seemed to break but after that I was seldom without a radio of some description. Almost anyone else seemed content with the main BBC stations, Luxembourg at night etc. I was intrigued by all the other stuff. Accents, odd noises, signals etc.
That funny three or four chime sound that used to come from the East European stations, especially Czech and Soviet English language propaganda channels. When I first heard REM's 'Daysleeper', I recognised the tone immediately and it made me realise that they had heard it too: Late at night when they were listening to the same thing as me.

That funny three or four chime sound that used to come from the East European stations, especially Czech and Soviet English language propaganda channels. When I first heard REM's 'Daysleeper', I recognised the tone immediately and it made me realise that they had heard it too: Late at night when they were listening to the same thing as me.
I'm not familiar with the track but yes, there were many recognisable and other worldly signature tunes, tones, bells, etc., Shortwave DXing was encouraged, with a twist. Most international stations were keen to send the listener QSL cards in thanks for signal reports. Stations behind the Iron curtain did this too but there was more going on behind the scenes. Engagement, subtle indoctrination and recruitment. I have no idea how many sleepers and active agents were recruited this way. In the UK, most post war listeners were patriotic but there would likely be some who were drawn in.

I signed up with Essex HAM to do their course starting in November, had to postpone as work got in the way, Had a death in the family just before Christmas so haven't got back to it but fully intend on signing up again to do the course and hopefully get licensed.

endure

GCM
Don't know if it's already been posted but this is a good website for identifying signals.

I signed up with Essex HAM to do their course starting in November, had to postpone as work got in the way, Had a death in the family just before Christmas so haven't got back to it but fully intend on signing up again to do the course and hopefully get licensed.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I did the Essex ham course. It's brilliant and its free. I recommend buying the Foundation course book , available from the RSGB and on Amazon. Don't bother with the E-book its a waste of space, vey hard to search. There are other free courses on the net and obviously they are worth every penny, gives you more revision and sample questions. I got two questions on my exam which had not been covered on any of the net courses, nor had I seen them in the sample exams. Bit of pot luck there. You get a hand out for the exam and the answers to at least five questions are on that. Free points, lovely. RSGB has all the required printouts and sample exams on their site. Good luck.

Edited for missing letters, its a very old keyboard, typist is not that young either.

Numbers stations fascinate me. The messages could be any of:

Gibberish to keep the opposition busy trying to analyze nonsense.
Acknowledgement of earlier message being received.
”Meet Mr Brown at 6pm on Friday, usual place”.
”24D“

24D could be anything from “get out of town this weekend, something else is going down” to “assassinate target D” or just simply “change to crypto book D from next message”

UK used to have a numbers station that TXed from RAF Akrotiri, its signature tune was “The Lincolnshire Poacher”.