HAM radio

endure

GCM
Some say the Koch method avoids the 5 wpm barrier. Listening to the sound at a rate you expect to have to listen to rather than counting dits and dahs.
We were taught never to count dits and dahs but to learn the melody. People who'd made the effort to learn it by counting before they started college had to unlearn it before they started again.

The main barrier for us (and I believe for almost everyone) is 12wpm which apparently is the speed where your brain recognises the sounds without needing to translate them.

11wpm - dah dit dah dit - mmm that's 'c'
13 wpm - dah dit dah dit - 'c'

endure

GCM
I was a Radio Op(not RTG) and i remember i could have got a course to learn it with a YOS who was a great guy but i was sent on another course !
An hour a day 4 days a week (apart from college holidays) for 2 years for me...

Completed the first module, no problems. It comes in two formats, paged and a slide show. I did the pages then the stage test, followed by the slide show video. Easy peazy, lemon squeezy but I was in the Royal Corps for 22 years, I expect later modules may be harder. A big thumbs up for Essex Hams, top work.

They do a fast track course too but at cost, I have no idea how much it costs. This is course 99 so they are getting lots through. You can take the test at home and the practical side has been dropped for the duration of Covid restrictions, Now is the hour and new courses are starting at least every month.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
I did the last version of the C&G RAE. It was mainly learning the amateur rules and regs as all the rest was theory I'd done at college for my MRRT.

I did the last version of the C&G RAE. It was mainly learning the amateur rules and regs as all the rest was theory I'd done at college for my MRRT.
I suspect that is where I might get my problems too. I have an HND in Communications Electronics and lots of add on courses. Luckily, in the civilian world, I had an employer who was willing to spend money to keep me up to date and branch out.

I suspect that is where I might get my problems too. I have an HND in Communications Electronics and lots of add on courses. Luckily, in the civilian world, I had an employer who was willing to spend money to keep me up to date and branch out.

What trade in the Corps? Like you I found it straightforward; just a few new terms/concepts (albeit FCC rather than RSGB).

enpointe

Old-Salt
Completed the first module, no problems. It comes in two formats, paged and a slide show. I did the pages then the stage test, followed by the slide show video. Easy peazy, lemon squeezy but I was in the Royal Corps for 22 years, I expect later modules may be harder. A big thumbs up for Essex Hams, top work.

They do a fast track course too but at cost, I have no idea how much it costs. This is course 99 so they are getting lots through. You can take the test at home and the practical side has been dropped for the duration of Covid restrictions, Now is the hour and new courses are starting at least every month.
practicals have been binned completely

the foundation is not hard

have a look at some of the material for Inter and full that may tax you or get you reaching back into the depths

The Foundation course and exam have been dumbed down lower that a snake's belly in a wagon rut :(
I think the exam has been passed by at least one 6 year old..

Last edited:

G4Star

Old-Salt
images

Never been in to it, but did try CB Radio back in the 80's

enpointe

Old-Salt
The Foundation course and exam have been dumbed down lower that a snake's belly in a wagon rut :(
I think the exam has been passed by at least one 6 year old..
and realistically the level of knowledge to use no more than 10w is little more than primary school level

your conflation of the RAE which lead to a full B ( and full a with a more test) and the first tier of the current three tier system is marked in it's wilful ignorance and misrepresentation

and realistically the level of knowledge to use no more than 10w is little more than primary school level

your conflation of the RAE which lead to a full B ( and full a with a more test) and the first tier of the current three tier system is marked in it's wilful ignorance and misrepresentation
Guilty sir !

images

Never been in to it, but did try CB Radio back in the 80's
I've no idea what activity is like these days but quite a few former CB users got Amateur Radio licences after passing exams. I expect a majority went to social media when it became a thing in the 2000s. Significant changes to UK CB conditions were the addition of the European 40 channels to the existing UK40, giving 80 channels. In addition, users are no longer restricted to FM only. They can also use AM and SSB but with approved radios only. The old multimode CBs are still illegal to use, as they were intended for North America - different frequencies.

Latest Threads