HAM radio

It was simple copper pipe - the kind that plumbers use. No point in wasting all that copper when skin effect makes it irrelevant.

View attachment 553843

The skin effect ... I worked in Cable Manufacturing for nearly thirty years of which twenty in High Quality Data and RF Transmission .That Company supplied composite cables to the likes of Marconi which used Silver plated copper elements and had a subtle technique to increase the " Circumference " of elements by using plain copper wire which had been drawn through a die to put tiny serrations into it .

Last edited:

itchy300

Old-Salt
That’s what absolutely captivates my interest in radio, both in my Army career and now. The ability to send written messages anywhere on the planet. HF RATT in the Army was just marvelous. I’ve yet to try HAM RTTY, but I expect it’ll be just the same

My exposure to to military radio is limited to manpack stuff unfortunately so I've not seen RATT.

RTTY and SSTV will be my main modes once I get up and running, the ability to send an image via radio is amazing. It's a capability that is desperately needed at platoon level (sandbag deployed) we genuinely used to send out patrols to swap SD cards with pictures of HVTs, enemy dead etc... When it could easily sent by radio and reduce risk to the lads

Thanks. We just used a question mark in morse QSA?

Interesting. Glad I asked, I'd be making an arrse of myself using ACP131 or ACP126 procedures!

So in the military, F14C DE F24D INT QRK K would become F14C DE F24D QRK ? K, presumably?

ETA: INT was ”barred”, that is, a line above the three letters, indicating it is to be sent as one character: di-di-dah-di-dah. No way to write that on a computer though. Question mark was IMI barred. Comma was MIM barred. I expect MN would have just learned “dah-dah-di-di-dah-dah” was comma then.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Interesting. Glad I asked, I'd be making an arrse of myself using ACP131 or ACP126 procedures!

So in the military, F14C DE F24D INT QRK K would become F14C DE F24D QRK ? K, presumably?
Pretty much apart from the fact that the ? is part of the Q code rather than a separate character so QRK?

endure

GCM
We had to learn all the accented letters and punctuation marks along with all the other morse characters.

Never needed if you were the sole Sparky on a BP tanker but used regularly if you were on a passenger ship with all sorts of nationalities as passengers.

The main barred characters we used were AR (end of message) and VA (end of working).

The 7300 has a USB connection, so all I needed was a driver for it. I'm using the computer's sound card. This does mean I don't get system sounds, or sound off webpages on this computer. Not sure if I could redirect those to the internal speaker and have WSJT-X and other HAM apps use the external connection. My gut says that isn't possible, how would it discriminate between different apps? Might have a play later.
Not sure it would enable you to do what you want, but try going to "Choose your sound output device" and then hitting "App volume device preferences" under "Advanced sound options" at the bottom of that page. This brings up:

1615041472043.png

... on which you can select what application uses what input and output ports. Might do the trick for you.

In the example above, I'm using it to route the output of Ableton Live to headphones, but everything else to speakers. Not likely to be using it with my amateur kit anytime soon, as the current line-up is a WS19, R107 and Eddystone 730/4, all of them older than me.

And I'm over 60.

Not sure it would enable you to do what you want, but try going to "Choose your sound output device" and then hitting "App volume device preferences" under "Advanced sound options" at the bottom of that page. This brings up:

View attachment 554947

... on which you can select what application uses what input and output ports. Might do the trick for you.

In the example above, I'm using it to route the output of Ableton Live to headphones, but everything else to speakers. Not likely to be using it with my amateur kit anytime soon, as the current line-up is a WS19, R107 and Eddystone 730/4, all of them older than me.

And I'm over 60.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that looks like Windows, and that’s not my bag.

Was having a play with a Raspberry Pi running GridTracker earlier. Got it running, but ran out of time to configure it before other commitments. I’ll have a play with it later.

Was having a play with a Raspberry Pi running GridTracker earlier. Got it running, but ran out of time to configure it before other commitments. I’ll have a play with it later.

Is indeed Windows, but maybe iOS can do similar?

Flipping knew I had one, but it took a while to find it. A Skyhook! And some Clark mast guy snaps. I have no idea why I have all this shit nearly 20 years after I left the mob. I’m guessing it was in my toolbox, but can’t remember. I’ve been out of the Army 19 years and 50 weeks today. 27 March 2001 was my last day on the payroll, and I happened to be in Moscow on that day. Unthinkable when I joined as a lowly STAB in ‘86.

Anyways, I misremembered the Skyhook. I thought it had a pulley on it, but actually it’s a locking mechanism. No biggie. I will bolt a pulley on it, and figure out how to put the handle of a paintroller on it. I have a 20ft telescopic paint roller handle for doing ceilings, that will work nicely to get the Skyhook up a tree.

0C61A61A-460D-412B-B719-4EAC1714EEE2.jpeg

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
You are correct in that your boat gets a call sign. It is of course still issued to the owner/user as the boat won't be able to do much with it.
I should have said "issued with a call sign that is specific to your boat."
It was a long time ago.

It sure is a long time ago! Boats haven't been issued callsigns for either SRC or LRC for more than 40 years - The "callsign" used in voice comms is simply the name of the boat (or with boats with DSC, the MMSI number can be used - in most cases using this as a callsign will just cause confusion). This is modified in some cases, for example, RNLI lifeboats the "callsign" is simply the station name with either "lifeboat" or "ILB".

endure

GCM
It sure is a long time ago! Boats haven't been issued callsigns for either SRC or LRC for more than 40 years - The "callsign" used in voice comms is simply the name of the boat (or with boats with DSC, the MMSI number can be used - in most cases using this as a callsign will just cause confusion). This is modified in some cases, for example, RNLI lifeboats the "callsign" is simply the station name with either "lifeboat" or "ILB".
I think there's some confusion between boats and ships. Cargo ships of over 300 tons require a call sign.

I think there's some confusion between boats and ships. Cargo ships of over 300 tons require a call sign.
Warships have international callsigns - GABCD etc etc.
On normal ops we'd be using daikly changing NATO callsigns or-if transmitting on Guard to issue warnings to aircraft etc "British warship F234".
Cant actually recall ever hearing the international one being used.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt

For their fixed radio equipment only. Portable equipment still doesn't get a callsign. but yes some confusion between boats and ships obviously. Anyway - All marine channels are restricted to maritime use only, except for some very specific circumstances.....

For their fixed radio equipment only. Portable equipment still doesn't get a callsign. but yes some confusion between boats and ships obviously. Anyway - All marine channels are restricted to maritime use only, except for some very specific circumstances.....
Imagine every hand held radio user aboard the ship having to issue the ships call sign. That would be tedious.

endure

GCM
Just found this which looks useful. They even have a downloadable version

WALT

LE
with boats with DSC, the MMSI number can be used

That's the bit I was referring to. While it may not be a call sign, by your definition, it is most certainly an identifier as to the source of the transmission.
At this early stage in the conversation, we hadn't descended into the depths of anorakiness where we find ourselves now and I feel that my generalisations were adequate.
May I now please be excused?

Last edited:
Bit of a disappointment tonight. I repointed my antenna 10 deg north, and it's not done anything in terms of reaching UK/Nordics. I am still getting France, Spain, Azores, Italy, Croatia etc, but not UK, Denmark, Sweden Norway etc.

I imagine it's the skip distance, but if I can RX Paris from my loc and then go 10 deg north, you'd think I'd get UK. Still another half hour of dusk here, so maybe.

Bit of a disappointment tonight. I repointed my antenna 10 deg north, and it's not done anything in terms of reaching UK/Nordics. I am still getting France, Spain, Azores, Italy, Croatia etc, but not UK, Denmark, Sweden Norway etc.

I imagine it's the skip distance, but if I can RX Paris from my loc and then go 10 deg north, you'd think I'd get UK. Still another half hour of dusk here, so maybe.
Optimal F2 frequencies don't match. 60m interstate looks worth a try, if you had a suitable antenna. Or try Argentina, Chile etc. 80 and 60m are looking viable but not so much 40m. By all means try it if it's all you have.
1615248194876.png

HFUnderground.com Propagation Data and Tools

Are you able to support an end fed half wave pointing over the house? It might mean setting up in the western slope in your pics, ie downhill from the radio shack. Try pointing the EFHW towards Scandinavia and the UK.
arrange to try it when conditions are suitable for the bands you are QRV on.

Bands have generally been crap today.
1615249414134.png

More maps from a US perspective here.
Amateur Radio -- Usable HF Propagation Frequencies & Forecast

Last edited:

Perhaps try 40m again later?
1615249592685.png

Latest Threads