HAM radio

How much power did you use? Was it 100 Watts output minus transmission losses?
Can you try turning the wick down to 10% of what you used to get to Perth, Australia?

yes, exactly. I might be able to turn it down, haven’t tried. Might try that tomorrow. He was receiving me -18, and I’ve occasionally worked down to -24dB. I keep meaning to look up the reference for the dB value, I‘m not sure what it is referenced to. Can’t be dB(mu)V, -24 would be well below my receiver’s sensitivity (0.16(mu)V).

For the moon, yes, I looked up this morning at something like a 3/4 moon, and thought about that. But not yet. I don’t have any VHF/UHF/SHF kit, so it’ll be further out. Any money being spent in the near to medium future will be on computer and antenna/tower. I might end up in the situation where I have higher frequency antennas and feeders on the tower with no radio on the other end, because if I’m putting a tower up, the time to put the antenna on the top of it is then. I’m most certainly NOT going to be climbing the thing at some later point. Maybe get a hinged base for it, but that’s a pain too.

yes, exactly. I might be able to turn it down, haven’t tried. Might try that tomorrow. He was receiving me -18, and I’ve occasionally worked down to -24dB. I keep meaning to look up the reference for the dB value, I‘m not sure what it is referenced to. Can’t be dB(mu)V, -24 would be well below my receiver’s sensitivity (0.16(mu)V).

For the moon, yes, I looked up this morning at something like a 3/4 moon, and thought about that. But not yet. I don’t have any VHF/UHF/SHF kit, so it’ll be further out. Any money being spent in the near to medium future will be on computer and antenna/tower. I might end up in the situation where I have higher frequency antennas and feeders on the tower with no radio on the other end, because if I’m putting a tower up, the time to put the antenna on the top of it is then. I’m most certainly NOT going to be climbing the thing at some later point. Maybe get a hinged base for it, but that’s a pain too.
I would do satellite before thinking about the moon. You don't need a big tower for that.

The DX Commander type arrangement of vertical for 7.0 MHz and above, with the option of 3.5 MHz end fed using the pole as a support makes sense. You might even put a 1.8 MHz trap and loading coil at the end of it.

I would do satellite before thinking about the moon. You don't need a big tower for that.

The DX Commander type arrangement of vertical for 7.0 MHz and above, with the option of 3.5 MHz end fed using the pole as a support makes sense. You might even put a 1.8 MHz trap and loading coil at the end of it.

Well, as I said the other day, I can have the majority of a tower for nothing. I believe it’s a Rohn 25G, which is entry level in their range, but free is free :)

The sections aren’t that expensive, so that seems like the thing to do. It’s apparently good for 200ft, but I don’t think that’s realistic for me! I reckon 50ft is reasonable. I have the space, and 50ft would get me well above the house. I’d need 3 additional sections.

hoofie

Clanker
I wonder if the utility companies have to do this for smart meters, which are by their nature closer to the public?
Yes but they are very low power devices. They are only designed to travel a few miles to a relay unit which retransmits or else puts into the mobile phone network to get to the utility company.

Well, as I said the other day, I can have the majority of a tower for nothing. I believe it’s a Rohn 25G, which is entry level in their range, but free is free :)

The sections aren’t that expensive, so that seems like the thing to do. It’s apparently good for 200ft, but I don’t think that’s realistic for me! I reckon 50ft is reasonable. I have the space, and 50ft would get me well above the house. I’d need 3 additional sections.
That's a nice height. Very useful indeed. Good for 7MHz and above Dx and not that far off 1/4 wave for 60m either.

endure

GCM
Bit more off topic video. This is a quick intro to the latest version of the software that comes free with the SDRPlay SDR radios

I think they recommend earthing the tower. You know the stuff, proper heavy metal strips. The last place I worked we had a 75M tower with about 4 active antenna on it. Lots of lightning strikes as we were on the top of a mountain. Everything was protected. We still, occasionally, got equipment damage. Quick repair jobs regularly.

I was vaguely aware of telex but I didn't realise how much people were into it back in the day. I was born post internet but these old school data modes(?) are interesting and I think possibly have a little niche like NAVTEX

That’s what absolutely captivates my interest in radio, both in my Army career and now. The ability to send written messages anywhere on the planet. HF RATT in the Army was just marvelous. I’ve yet to try HAM RTTY, but I expect it’ll be just the same (Minus Z-codes, I have discovered that Z-codes are military only.)

FT8’s had my attention though. It’s very basic, short messages confirming contact, but (to me at least), it’s thrilling to read ”K?4MPX VK1XXX RR-14”. Means a bloke in Australia 18000km away can understand me, sat in my shack in the basement of my house, across two continents and the Pacific Ocean, with a couple bits of wire in my yard.

endure

GCM
That’s what absolutely captivates my interest in radio, both in my Army career and now. The ability to send written messages anywhere on the planet. HF RATT in the Army was just marvelous. I’ve yet to try HAM RTTY, but I expect it’ll be just the same (Minus Z-codes, I have discovered that Z-codes are military only.)
Q codes for us civvies ;-)

I sailed on 2 ships with RTTY but unless I had a 500 word stores telegram to send it was quicker to bang out a telegram in morse.

Q codes for us civvies ;-)

I sailed on 2 ships with RTTY but unless I had a 500 word stores telegram to send it was quicker to bang out a telegram in morse.

On civvy/MN RTTY, did you use the “equivalent” Q-code for a Z-code? Example, INT ZBZ is the RATT equivalent of INT QRK. What is the printing accuracy of my symbols? What would you use as a Q-code?

I’m guessing that if I used a Z-code on RTTY, it wouldn’t be understood, unless the Op was ex-mil.

Or did you use Z-codes regardless?

endure

GCM
On civvy/MN RTTY, did you use the “equivalent” Q-code for a Z-code? Example, INT ZBZ is the RATT equivalent of INT QRK. What is the printing accuracy of my symbols? What would you use as a Q-code?

I’m guessing that if I used a Z-code on RTTY, it wouldn’t be understood, unless the Op was ex-mil.

We never used (never even learned) Z codes.

99+% of the traffic in my time was morse. As I said I sailed with RTTY but barely used it.

We had to learn all the Q codes from QRA to QUZ but only ever used a few of them regularly.

QTC 2 - I have two radiotelegrams for you
QRJ - Radiotelephone call
QRM - interference
QRN - static
QSS - my working frequency is

And the dreaded QRY 35 from Portishead at Christmas - your turn is 35...

endure

GCM

What does "INT" mean?