Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HAM radio

As a slight aside, but still to do with radio, I have a CB in my Land Rover (which I bought from Mr Broccoli, but that's another story). I'm in Germany so I should really apply for a license, but the most I hear is Polish chit chat "repeat please..." so. meh.
However, very occasionally I hear a ham broadcast from the UK. They must have bloody powerful transmitters.
Also, I usually leave it on channel 9 and sometimes on Sunday there's some pillock reading chapters from the bible in a yank accent so this ******** is blocking the emergency channel in Germany by reciting lengthy text in English. Rather poor radio procedure.

I used to have a 25W amp on my CB back in 1981/82 a friend of mine did something with my antennae using his professional SWR meter, copper wire, wire cutters and a soldering iron. If I sat on the top of the hill at Wroughton I could hear and chat to septics and most places around europe.

endure

GCM
Further googling reveals that it is possible with a porable antenna called an AlexLoop - which costs around £400.

Think I'll be binning that idea.

The most important part of any radio set up is the antenna. Having said that amateur radio is such a varied hobby there's a niche/frequency for practically everybody from LF at136kHz to 2 Ghz.

If you're interested in HF (shortwave) you can get loops at lower cost than the Alexloop. There's a guy who sells them on Ebay - made in the UK.

Crack on and get your licence. I think you can do it all online now. Once you've got it you can decide whether you want to talk to Australia or bounce signals off the moon.

The most important part of any radio set up is the antenna. Having said that amateur radio is such a varied hobby there's a niche/frequency for practically everybody from LF at136kHz to 2 Ghz.

If you're interested in HF (shortwave) you can get loops at lower cost than the Alexloop. There's a guy who sells them on Ebay - made in the UK.

Crack on and get your licence. I think you can do it all online now. Once you've got it you can decide whether you want to talk to Australia or bounce signals off the moon.
Cheers mate!

endure

GCM
As a slight aside, but still to do with radio, I have a CB in my Land Rover (which I bought from Mr Broccoli, but that's another story). I'm in Germany so I should really apply for a license, but the most I hear is Polish chit chat "repeat please..." so. meh.
However, very occasionally I hear a ham broadcast from the UK. They must have bloody powerful transmitters.
Also, I usually leave it on channel 9 and sometimes on Sunday there's some pillock reading chapters from the bible in a yank accent so this ******** is blocking the emergency channel in Germany by reciting lengthy text in English. Rather poor radio procedure.

CB uses 28Mhz so the signals you're hearing from the UK are probably skywave - bouncing off the ionosphere back to earth.

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
Aware there maybe a couple of HAMS on arrse.

For a while Ive been thinking of venturing into this. I understand there are courses etc.My question is - I don't really want to be sticking external aerials up.
Is it viable to dabble in something like this with just some for of internal (mobile) aerial?
I harken to when I was 15 and had a CB with a mobile aerial on a biscuit tin behind the chair in spare room.

Is something similar possible on HAM freqs?
10-4 Rubber Duck! Got my ears on.

Seriously, have you got a beard and sandals?

If you buy a loop aerial be warned that even though you may be transmitting at 20 watts there will likely be 7000+ volts across the capacitor that's part of it ;-)
Perhaps 40m CW or data might be a good choice for Dx with an indoor loop?
Thinking about it, 2m/70cm FM may be a good choice for for local chats, particularly if there is a local repeater.
The mag mount and biscuit tin could work there.

I have a beard- but its still under cultrivation and kept in my breast pocket as an emergency measure. I don't wear it at present.

WALT

War Hero
CB uses 28Mhz so the signals you're hearing from the UK are probably skywave - bouncing off the ionosphere back to earth.
I'm not sure why I've given you an "informative", but despite not understanding a bloody word, it seems to be the decent thing to do.

Out of interest my old man was a sparky with the Andrew. Fluent in morse. I'm sure he'll know what you're talking about.

endure

GCM
I'm not sure why I've given you an "informative", but despite not understanding a bloody word, it seems to be the decent thing to do.

Out of interest my old man was a sparky with the Andrew. Fluent in morse. I'm sure he'll know what you're talking about.

There are 3 main modes of propagation...

Groundwave - creeps along the ground - Radio 4 long wave 198kHz
Skywave - shoots off into the sky and bounces back down again - BBC World Service
Spacewave - heads off into space in a straight line BBC 1,2,3,4 VHF

endure

GCM
Perhaps 40m CW or data might be a good choice for Dx with an indoor loop?
Thinking about it, 2m/70cm FM may be a good choice for for local chats, particularly if there is a local repeater.
The mag mount and biscuit tin could work there.

Data possibly. CW straight after getting your first ticket is pushing it a bit.

There are 3 main modes of propagation...

Groundwave - creeps along the ground - Radio 4 long wave 198kHz
Skywave - shoots off into the sky and bounces back down again - BBC World Service
Spacewave - heads off into space in a straight line BBC 1,2,3,4 VHF
Why are the BBC wasting TV licence payers money beaming BBC TV broadcasts in to space?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I was tasked to a job in Nottingham, the Police had found a set up in the loft of a house they suspected as a bomb factory.

There were a couple of out of date marine flares up there and loads of old radio equipment. There were cable runs everywhere, but i cant remember there being any external antenna.

I remember the job mainly because i had a particularly obnoxious police woman threaten to arrest me because i refused to give an immediate statement. Silly cow also asked me if possession of the flares was illegal, i told her it wasnt my job to determine that.
Was she The Chief Constable:???::???:

Latest Threads