HAM radio

hoofie

Clanker
I’m coming to the conclusion that skip distance is more important than direction. Having repointed 20 deg N, I’m now working Gib and France at dusk, which I had not heard so far. But still working Italy and Serbia. I can hear the ABC islands, well, Aruba and Bonaire, but they’re not hearing me. Also worked Brazil, and bizarrely, Minnesota, which is 1500 km off the sidelobe.

I heard Australia this morning, before I repointed, but they didn’t hear me (or respond). Be interesting to see what the difference is in the morning.

It’s gonna piss down the next 5 days here, so I can’t work on the antenna til next week, but playing with the height will be the next thing.
Are you happy to post your call sign and I'll listen out for you from Perth, Australia ?

Bear in mind that if you want to do digital on a G90 you're going to need to buy an external sound card and other bits.

I think the Icom 7300 has it all built in. @Roadster280 ?

The 7300 has a USB connection, so all I needed was a driver for it. I'm using the computer's sound card. This does mean I don't get system sounds, or sound off webpages on this computer. Not sure if I could redirect those to the internal speaker and have WSJT-X and other HAM apps use the external connection. My gut says that isn't possible, how would it discriminate between different apps? Might have a play later.

All I know of the G90 is off the internet, but it does seem you need to wire up the audio and TX command off the accessory socket as a minimum. You can buy a box that does it all and provides a USB interface for $90, but that's symptomatic of why I don't have a G90. The 7300 has a nice big display (no panadaptor necessary), has a 100W PA (no external amp, if you want more than 20W), and USB control. To up-spec a G90 to something like the 7300's feature set, it would have cost more than a 7300. It is what it is, a low cost set. The display is also why I went for the 7300 over the FT-991A. If I ever want to get into VHF/UHF, that would be the way I would go, I think. I would then have two HF sets, but also a fixed-base VHF/UHF set with all the nice stuff. The FT-991A could be a dedicated digital rig on HF. But I'm nowhere near that. Hell, I've only been at this less than a week.

@hoofie - PM inbound. If anyone wants to listen for me, I am K?4MPX, where ? is a letter. There's only 26 possibilities, but these things are public records, at least in the US. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, because I'm obviously TXing my full callsign, but that PERSEC thing doesn't go away.

The 7300 has a USB connection, so all I needed was a driver for it. I'm using the computer's sound card. This does mean I don't get system sounds, or sound off webpages on this computer. Not sure if I could redirect those to the internal speaker and have WSJT-X and other HAM apps use the external connection. My gut says that isn't possible, how would it discriminate between different apps? Might have a play later.

All I know of the G90 is off the internet, but it does seem you need to wire up the audio and TX command off the accessory socket as a minimum. You can buy a box that does it all and provides a USB interface for $90, but that's symptomatic of why I don't have a G90. The 7300 has a nice big display (no panadaptor necessary), has a 100W PA (no external amp, if you want more than 20W), and USB control. To up-spec a G90 to something like the 7300's feature set, it would have cost more than a 7300. It is what it is, a low cost set. The display is also why I went for the 7300 over the FT-991A. If I ever want to get into VHF/UHF, that would be the way I would go, I think. I would then have two HF sets, but also a fixed-base VHF/UHF set with all the nice stuff. The FT-991A could be a dedicated digital rig on HF. But I'm nowhere near that. Hell, I've only been at this less than a week.

@hoofie - PM inbound. If anyone wants to listen for me, I am K?4MPX, where ? is a letter. There's only 26 possibilities, but these things are public records, at least in the US. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, because I'm obviously TXing my full callsign, but that PERSEC thing doesn't go away.
The Icom 7100 is another option for an all band shack in a box, though without the nice display.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
I have a maritime radio licence, and keep a hand-held at home. They only talk line of sight, antenna tip to antenna tip, but considering the spoken rubbish that takes up 90% of those airwaves, I doubt that short, choppy messages on land when the SHTF would be a priority for prosecution. Finding someone inland similarly equipped though?

Wouldn't half annoy the Coastguard.

Should have told her to pop down the nearest marina and arrest every single boat owner.

Re. Mufftickler's query about marine VHF, as Electromagnetic has pointed out, unqualified use is illegal. As part of the qualifying course, you're issued an individual call sign so they know who is who. Without one, you're going to draw attention to yourself. I've got one, somewhere....,not that it's a lot of use now that I'm about 500 miles from the nearest damp patch.
You don't get a callsign with a Maritime radio licence (either SRC or LRC). The callsign you use is the vessel you are on, or the MMSI number of the vessel (if using DSC). If you pass an Amateur radio licence qualification and apply for a licence ("Ham Radio") you will be issued a callsign, which is mandatory to use.

WALT

LE
You don't get a callsign with a Maritime radio licence (either SRC or LRC). The callsign you use is the vessel you are on, or the MMSI number of the vessel (if using DSC).

You are correct in that your boat gets a call sign. It is of course still issued to the owner/user as the boat won't be able to do much with it.
I should have said "issued with a call sign that is specific to your boat."
It was a long time ago.

But, if the SHTF, as long as the people communicating know who each other are, would it matter?

There's a local vessel called Who Dares Wins, and providing they're using only speech they could be "Sweaty Ollocks. Over". To triangulate their location and prosecute during a period of stress is outside the capabilities of the authorities at present.

But, if the SHTF, as long as the people communicating know who each other are, would it matter?

There's a local vessel called Who Dares Wins, and providing they're using only speech they could be "Sweaty Ollocks. Over". To triangulate their location and prosecute during a period of stress is outside the capabilities of the authorities at present.
The trouble with pirates and so called free banders is that interference with services can lead to loss of life. They may not care until it touches them personally. Perhaps you have seen the state of driving in countries where no licence is required?

endure

GCM

I must admit that the past 8 hours of watching Icom 7300 vids on youchoob has made me slightly tumescent.

I may have to review my credit rating in the near future...

I repointed my dipole about 20 degrees, so it's now orthogonal to the direct path to Europe. I've been plotting FT8 contacts during the day, it seems I'm approximating a plot of the radiation pattern. The red line is the direct path to Europe, centered on Düsseldorf. The spokes tend to suggest I'm somewhat omni out to 900km or so, with noticeable side and end lobes. You'd think there'd be some software that did this automatically, but no, here I am plotting it manually.

View attachment 552543
Blimey! This escalated quickly.

A mere 15 days ago it was this.
Well I'm bored... I just looked up the license requirements here. Maybe :)
Now you're all set up and prowling the e-layer like a stalker.