HAM radio

Unsurprisingly, dawn and dusk are interesting. The sun's going down, and just had FT8 contacts in Slovenia, Italy, Brazil and Dominican Republic. Could hear Canary Islands, Serbia and Portugal.

endure

GCM
Unsurprisingly, dawn and dusk are interesting. The sun's going down, and just had FT8 contacts in Slovenia, Italy, Brazil and Dominican Republic. Could hear Canary Islands, Serbia and Portugal.
:eek:

bb.jpg

endure

GCM
How is it that a scrawny youth with the merest hint of peach down on his chin has turned into a world class beard in a matter of days?

Are there no miracles that Arrse isn't capable of?

Should we all be subscribing to regular deliveries from Remington in order to keep our faces visible to our loved ones?

Will no-one think of the children? What is a baby to think when a giant pair of eyes surrounded by what appears to be a coir door mat appears overhead and coos 'who's your Daddy'?

endure

GCM
No cigar, I'm afraid. It's been a couple of years since I had one of those.

Fkn dogs have chewed my sandals too, so you'll have to make do with clean shaven, and shoes :)
PM me your address and I'll send you mine...

Socks-and-Sandals-800x450.jpg

How is it that a scrawny youth with the merest hint of peach down on his chin has turned into a world class beard in a matter of days?

Are there no miracles that Arrse isn't capable of?

Should we all be subscribing to regular deliveries from Remington in order to keep our faces visible to our loved ones?

Will no-one think of the children? What is a baby to think when a giant pair of eyes surrounded by what appears to be a coir door mat appears overhead and coos 'who's your Daddy'?

It's no miracle. Perfectly simple explanation. Cut me and I'll bleed sky blue, navy blue and green.

1614211994271.png

Apparently :)

I repointed my dipole about 20 degrees, so it's now orthogonal to the direct path to Europe. I've been plotting FT8 contacts during the day, it seems I'm approximating a plot of the radiation pattern. The red line is the direct path to Europe, centered on Düsseldorf. The spokes tend to suggest I'm somewhat omni out to 900km or so, with noticeable side and end lobes. You'd think there'd be some software that did this automatically, but no, here I am plotting it manually.

Prop.jpg

I repointed my dipole about 20 degrees, so it's now orthogonal to the direct path to Europe. I've been plotting FT8 contacts during the day, it seems I'm approximating a plot of the radiation pattern. The red line is the direct path to Europe, centered on Düsseldorf. The spokes tend to suggest I'm somewhat omni out to 900km or so, with noticeable side and end lobes. You'd think there'd be some software that did this automatically, but no, here I am plotting it manually.

View attachment 552543
WSPR will do it automatically WSPRnet | Welcome to the Weak Signal Propagation Reporter Network
You could run a separate WSPR radio Ultimate3S kit info

View attachment 552543
There is a free software that dxcommander uses on his Vlogs where you can virtualise an antenna etc and see where to point / how high..what to do etc. And what the expected stuff is. It wasnt that thing I mentioned a few weeks ago..this was something far more 'beardy'.

I'll have a look and post link.

endure

GCM
There is a free software that dxcommander uses on his Vlogs where you can virtualise an antenna etc and see where to point / how high..what to do etc. And what the expected stuff is. It wasnt that thing I mentioned a few weeks ago..this was something far more 'beardy'.

I'll have a look and post link.
It's called MMANA

@Roadster280 .. you have the tools now...unleash the beard!

Ive seen where you live now on google earth... ample room for tents in the grounds.

I have a barbecue planned you'll be hosting after covid fecks off :)

We could all wear little name badges with our callsigns (providing I get mine too-otherwise I'll be a waiter).
Waver applied for @Kirkz though...he'll be importing the cheese.

I will NOT be displaying any form of beard though.. Kirkz will show you the 'proper' way to do so and associated habits.

@Roadster280 .. you have the tools now...unleash the beard!

Ive seen where you live now on google earth... ample room for tents in the grounds.

I have a barbecue planned you'll be hosting after covid fecks off :)

We could all wear little name badges with our callsigns (providing I get mine too-otherwise I'll be a waiter).
Waver applied for @Kirkz though...he'll be importing the cheese.

I will NOT be displaying any form of beard though.. Kirkz will show you the 'proper' way to do so and associated habits.

No beards for me. I’m up for a BBQ though. No tents needed. Those that don’t get a bedroom can sleep in the workshop/office/shack. Bring German beer.

I’m coming to the conclusion that skip distance is more important than direction. Having repointed 20 deg N, I’m now working Gib and France at dusk, which I had not heard so far. But still working Italy and Serbia. I can hear the ABC islands, well, Aruba and Bonaire, but they’re not hearing me. Also worked Brazil, and bizarrely, Minnesota, which is 1500 km off the sidelobe.

I heard Australia this morning, before I repointed, but they didn’t hear me (or respond). Be interesting to see what the difference is in the morning.

It’s gonna piss down the next 5 days here, so I can’t work on the antenna til next week, but playing with the height will be the next thing.

I’m coming to the conclusion that skip distance is more important than direction. Having repointed 20 deg N, I’m now working Gib and France at dusk, which I had not heard so far. But still working Italy and Serbia. I can hear the ABC islands, well, Aruba and Bonaire, but they’re not hearing me. Also worked Brazil, and bizarrely, Minnesota, which is 1500 km off the sidelobe.

I heard Australia this morning, before I repointed, but they didn’t hear me (or respond). Be interesting to see what the difference is in the morning.

It’s gonna piss down the next 5 days here, so I can’t work on the antenna til next week, but playing with the height will be the next thing.
Are you declaring a success then?

Are you at the stage where we can log onto say...jodrell bank sdr and hear you Cq'ing?

What is the monetary value of any other stuff you've realised you need to be actaully effective as opposed to 'licence-radio.aerial...good to go'?

I'm trying to get an idea of things for myself. Cost wise after initial outlay for txer etc

endure

GCM
Are you declaring a success then?

Are you at the stage where we can log onto say...jodrell bank sdr and hear you Cq'ing?

What is the monetary value of any other stuff you've realised you need to be actaully effective as opposed to 'licence-radio.aerial...good to go'?

I'm trying to get an idea of things for myself. Cost wise after initial outlay for txer etc
@Roadster280 appears to have a BFO back garden. Radio is all about antennas (or aerials as we in the know call them ;-) ).

All the rest is a sideshow.

@Roadster280 appears to have a BFO back garden. Radio is all about antennas (or aerials as we in the know call them ;-) ).

All the rest is a sideshow.

Er...Ae actually amongst us cogniscenti ;)

Happy to learn you ;)

Gen question regarding propogation..particularly in the lower megs bands. Tx and Rx.

Could reception and SWR be significantly affected by- something possibly, seemingly innocuous like...

wearing a bright fecking ORANGE shirts?!

This is science gents. Beards, Beards Ho!

Last edited:
An-fvcking-tennas. Ae for short. Not getting into that shitfest :)

Monetary value? How long is a piece of string? The kit set that @Electromagnetic posted earlier is a few bucks and would work for FT8. I’ve dropped about $1300 so far with a (very) (super-fvcking-excellent) ready made 100W TXCVR and antenna hardware. To play CAT (ie computer-controlled rig) you need a computer. Pretty much any recent-ish computer. I’m using a 2014 MBP. It’s had beer spilled over it (twice), the battery and keyboard are fvcked and it‘s on its last legs. But it works. I might sell some old IT kit (including this MBP) and buy a new one. It’s time.

You could drop easily north of 5K on a TXCVR. Or get a G90 for much less. Horses for courses. The IC-7300 is not cheap, neither is it insanely expensive. But it’s a fvcking outstanding piece of kit for its price.

With a G90 and some antenna hardware, assuming existing computer, you’re looking at £500ish.

endure

GCM
Bear in mind that if you want to do digital on a G90 you're going to need to buy an external sound card and other bits.

I think the Icom 7300 has it all built in. @Roadster280 ?