Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HAM radio

How about-during the experimental stage, a serious of end-fed wires capable of different freqs, suspended like washing lines? Is that feasible?
Yes, provided they are tuned and matched to your transceivers 50 Ohm socket. They should be separated as best you can to avoid coupling. If the ground is crap and you can't drive a copper coated ground spike in to it, you can use a counterpoise. This could be pinned a few inches off the ground, running along the fence and bent to fit.

Last edited:
Yes, provided they are tuned and matched to your transceivers 50 Ohm socket. They should be separated as best you can to avoid coupling. If the ground is crap and you can't drive a copper coated ground spike in to it, you can use a counterpoise. This could be pinned a few inches off the ground, running along the fence and bent to fit.
<Please accpet Im pretty ignorant on this subject-and my comments are probably along the lines of knowing too little etc>
Could that not be mitigated by a simple anntennna tuning unit that could be inter-swapped to all?

I'm just thinking with the stuff Ive been watching whilst learning about all this stuff lately.

hoofie

Swinger
This FT8 mode is pretty cool for distant stations. I've RXed from Sweden, Portugal and Italy in the last 10 minutes. But nothing acked back so far.
Sounds like you are not getting out very well. I can easily get FT8 contacts a couple of thousand kms out with my dodgy end fed strung up on 2 swimming pool poles and easily RX from Europe 13,000 kms away

This FT8 mode is pretty cool for distant stations. I've RXed from Sweden, Portugal and Italy in the last 10 minutes. But nothing acked back so far.
What's mrs Roadsters opinion of this new hobby / affliction? :)

Any issues / eyebrows raised with having a brit accent but yank callsign??

What's mrs Roadsters opinion of this new hobby / affliction? :)

Any issues / eyebrows raised with having a brit accent but yank callsign??
Who knows, she might even discover she likes the idea too, especially in these socially distanced times. A novice licence would do to start with. <Blue touch paper lit - retreating to safe distance>

endure

GCM
still get an EFHW for 20 m along the fence

or a loop that might Z- match to variety of bands round the fence

or a HF vertical
All I need is a hole drilled through a brick wall first... ;-)

Ive been watching this:

@Roadster280 please look at his youtube channel

Last edited:
Im off to bed now and Ipad primary. Work in 6. Roadster is Dxing with someone in the amazon - whilst unknowingly harnessing emf properties of his nest of BBQs :)

I look forward to logging in to many updates :)

Sounds like you are not getting out very well. I can easily get FT8 contacts a couple of thousand kms out with my dodgy end fed strung up on 2 swimming pool poles and easily RX from Europe 13,000 kms away

Agreed. I think it’s possibly in my WSJT-X setup. If I put the rig into Monitor mode, the audio is very low indeed. Might have a play with that. I’ve had voice contacts all over the interior US now, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, so you’d think my FT8 signal would go at least as far, and I am RXing some far away guys on FT8.

@supermatelot - she’s been away since I got the set, so I have no idea. And neither does she :)

She’s home tonight, so she’ll find me surrounded by beer cans, slumped over my computer. “What the FVCK is wrong with this thing???” :D

I think I may have figured out my best shot at a decent antenna. Here's my thinking:

House-radio.jpg

The trees under the speech bubbles to the left are no longer there, GE just hasn't caught up yet. Another option might be from the SE end of the blue line to the left end of the "Shack in basement" speech bubble, that would be about a 250ft path, but I couldn't get more than about 18ft of elevation above ground. Given that the land slopes away from the house towards the lake, I think I could get 25-30ft average on the blue path. "Both" might be the ultimate answer :)

And.... I've cracked the FT8 thing; it was a setting in the set for USB audio (as in Universal Serial Bus, not Upper Sideband))

Just got 73s from Newfoundland. Yay :)

Well it's day 3 of operating this thing, and I've just had an FT8 contact in New Zealand. 13,859KM distance.

Not sure I can get much further, to be honest :)
I think data is a potential answer for many of us with tiny gardens or indoor antennas and low power to avoid interference to neighbours. That's a cracking result. Was than on 40m or 20m?