Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HAM radio

We were steaming up past San Diego about 20 miles offshore (internation waters) when we got a call from some Yank warship telling us we were on a collision course and to change course so as to get out of his way.

The OM called back and told him that COLREGS gave us the right of way so we were standing on and if they wanted to argue with 35,000 tons of liquid ammonia they were more than welcome to.

They changed course ;-)

Well at least you weren’t on a collision course with a lighthouse :)

My ferking radio may as well have been hoyed off a lighthouse into the oggin. FedEx says there’s been a shipment exception, and that’s all they’re saying.

it’s coming from Ohio, down I-75 if it goes the direct route. Well fvck me if there wasn’t a 30-vehicle pile up there a day and a half ago, involving 8 trucks. It’s probably in some salvage yard in Kentucky.

Fkn-A :(

I read an article a few years back about someone modifying a PRC320 for better civ use. VMARS? Dunno, just one of those things that stuck in my brain. However, as a semi caveman spec radio it didn't seem too much of a challenge.
Yes, they may have the LSB mod listed there. I think the kit of parts is cheap enough. No need for any drilling to the front panel. Manuals are available online. Some users have successfully replaced crappy NiCds with Lithium Iron Phosphate cells.

The direct RF output can cause interference to other users if operated between 20 MHz and 30 MHz and within 100 m of another radio so needs filtering with a SURF unit or other suitable filter. The ATU is designed for specific Clansman 2.5 m whip antennas and quarter wave wires. It isn't ideal for dipoles and may not match them. Ideally dipoles should be chosen which are resonant anyway. For whip and long wires, a trailing counterpoise wire is better than the headset acting as a counterpoise and will be easier to tune with.

Another issue was RF leaking in to the headset, so there was a filter to reduce that, though it's possible some old radios missed that update. As others mentioned above the paint was an insulator from RF voltages..

Tantalum capacitors were fairly new when these sets were produced and have a habit of failing, so they should be replaced. A recommendation seems to be to replace them with modern electrolytic capacitors of 150V or higher. There are high voltages generated internally and a lack of fuses.

It doesn't cover 160 m band as standard. Some users have done a modification to enable this.

ICOM IC705 and Elecraft KX3 / KX2 are far lighter and much more flexible in use. The only thing they lack is robustness, operation in sub zero temperatures and they have a little less power. They are not cheap though.

Last edited:

enpointe

Clanker
Im gonna be applying to take my online test within the next week. Have been bit busy with some other things at moment. Unsure whether the flash-bang will be as quick as Roadster's though.
quicker than it was when they first brought it in last spring , but that was due to pent up demand and also a concerted effort from the providers of Online foundation courses to get people in and examined under their names rather than Local clubs ...

It's also been a wake up call to the 'traditional' clubs that they need to compete for members
One of the things that confused me moving from commercial to amateur is the use of simplex frequencies.

In the merch you had specific frequencies for calling and working.

on HF amateur bands there aren't specific frequencies or channelisation

on VHF and UHF there is limited channelisation -certainly 2m (144 -146 Mhz for the Region 1 people) has a channel plan for part of the available frequencies giving a number of discrete 12.5 KHz spaced simplex 'channels ' and repeater pairs

in that section of the band plan 145.500 is the FM calling channel and you are expected to move off to a working channel

Last edited:
@Roadster280 dunno how feasible this is but- when you do get your radio, would like to conduct a test, with you tx'ing and some of us monitoring HF freqs on various websdr recievers to see if you can be heard / how far you are getting out.

@Roadster280 dunno how feasible this is but- when you do get your radio, would like to conduct a test, with you tx'ing and some of us monitoring HF freqs on various websdr recievers to see if you can be heard / how far you are getting out.

Sounds like a plan. The radio’s the long pole in the tent, there’s been no update since Wednesday. If there’s no update by Monday, I’ll have to file a claim.

endure

GCM
I've got an sdr rx at home that I can use

How “real time” is websdr? Is there a significant delay?

How “real time” is websdr? Is there a significant delay?
The Twente university one is only a few seconds. It's interesting to see the reactions on our young radio ops' faces, when they hear their own voices coming back at them from their mobile phone, a few seconds after talking into a radio handset.

If you time it right, I may be able to arrange having a radio on a number of frequencies at a particular time, if given enough warning.

The Twente university one is only a few seconds. It's interesting to see the reactions on our young radio ops' faces, when they hear their own voices coming back at them from their mobile phone, a few seconds after talking into a radio handset.

If you time it right, I may be able to arrange having a radio on a number of frequencies at a particular time, if given enough warning.
Here's the link.

Twente SDR

I’ve been playing with a web SDR today, for the first time. @endure - you’re exactly right, the “phonetic alphabet“ observed is a thing of wonder :)

Took a bit of CW at some ridculously slow speed, even I was thinking “can you send a little bit faster?”. But then got my ass handed to me on a different freq :) I haven’t ordered a key; I may have to change that.

Update on the radio, it’s on its way from Ohio, finally, so it didn’t get stuck in the pile up.

Getting there.

I’ve been playing with a web SDR today, for the first time. @endure - you’re exactly right, the “phonetic alphabet“ observed is a thing of wonder :)

Took a bit of CW at some ridculously slow speed, even I was thinking “can you send a little bit faster?”. But then got my ass handed to me on a different freq :) I haven’t ordered a key; I may have to change that.

Update on the radio, it’s on its way from Ohio, finally, so it didn’t get stuck in the pile up.

Getting there.

Years ago I hit the 5 wpm barrier because I learned slow sounds. Learn Morse sent fast but letters can be spaced. Needing to do this myself.

Koch method software G4FON
The fading and noise are impressive options.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
It’s been an awfully long time, probably close to 30 years, so I was pleased I could take anything, to be honest!
I'd been left the sea 10 years (this was 1995) and was working in a tech support role when one of my oppos downloaded and starting running a morse program on his PC. It was running at about 25wpm.

I automatically picked up a pen and started writing it down. He was completely gobsmacked and asked me how I could do it.

It was then that I realised that it was just another language like learning French at school.

Here's DA doing the business for us merchant folks...

I'd been left the sea 10 years (this was 1995) and was working in a tech support role when one of my oppos downloaded and starting running a morse program on his PC. It was running at about 25wpm.

I automatically picked up a pen and started writing it down. He was completely gobsmacked and asked me how I could do it.

It was then that I realised that it was just another language like learning French at school.

Here's DA doing the business for us merchant folks...

Vibroplex iambic keyer?