Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HAM radio

Aware there maybe a couple of HAMS on arrse.

For a while Ive been thinking of venturing into this. I understand there are courses etc.My question is - I don't really want to be sticking external aerials up.
Is it viable to dabble in something like this with just some for of internal (mobile) aerial?
I harken to when I was 15 and had a CB with a mobile aerial on a biscuit tin behind the chair in spare room.

Is something similar possible on HAM freqs?

Further googling reveals that it is possible with a porable antenna called an AlexLoop - which costs around £400.

Think I'll be binning that idea.

Heard of this new thing called the internet?

No valves required.

Yep, great until the internet and all the cellphones go down if the brown smelly stuff ever hits the fan. We have a ham radio for contacting the emergency services and neighbours if the SHTF as do most folks around these parts.

Dr Death

War Hero
Yep, great until the internet and all the cellphones go down if the brown smelly stuff ever hits the fan. We have a ham radio for contacting the emergency services and neighbours if the SHTF as do most folks around these parts.

I'm slow time studying for the FCC Technician Class Licence. I like the idea of being able to call for help when I am out in the Ulu on my motorbike, and as you say, useful for SHTF situations as the first thing that gets switched off after the big traffic jam starts is are the phone networks. I was voluntold onto the County emergency management team in the UK and as part of that we were all in a special phone directory. The theory being that if the S**t ever did really hit the fan the IA drill was that the phone companies turn off general access to stop the network being overloaded. With the magic of computers only official organisations and individuals would still have useable access to the networks. Makes having a personal radio network attractive - keep the things in the car emergency bags with batteries packed separately.

I was tasked to a job in Nottingham, the Police had found a set up in the loft of a house they suspected as a bomb factory.

There were a couple of out of date marine flares up there and loads of old radio equipment. There were cable runs everywhere, but i cant remember there being any external antenna.

I remember the job mainly because i had a particularly obnoxious police woman threaten to arrest me because i refused to give an immediate statement. Silly cow also asked me if possession of the flares was illegal, i told her it wasnt my job to determine that.

Slightly off topic but i thought it would be a good place to ask.
For some unknown reason i have got it into my head that it would be a good idea to get a couple of handheld VHF marine trancievers, They go for a couple of hundred quid each and push out about 8 Watts.
Would it be legal to use these without a license?
Not looked for long but not much info about.

I'm slow time studying for the FCC Technician Class Licence. I like the idea of being able to call for help when I am out in the Ulu on my motorbike, and as you say, useful for SHTF situations as the first thing that gets switched off after the big traffic jam starts is are the phone networks. I was voluntold onto the County emergency management team in the UK and as part of that we were all in a special phone directory. The theory being that if the S**t ever did really hit the fan the IA drill was that the phone companies turn off general access to stop the network being overloaded. With the magic of computers only official organisations and individuals would still have useable access to the networks. Makes having a personal radio network attractive - keep the things in the car emergency bags with batteries packed separately.

We also have a couple of hand helds that we use when I am out and about should the need arise.

For some unknown reason i have got it into my head that it would be a good idea to get a couple of handheld VHF marine trancievers, They go for a couple of hundred quid each and push out about 8 Watts.
No. You would be breaking the law. You need a license to use to use marine radios.
There are courses for using such radios at yachting clubs and the like. Try Ofcom and boat clubs as a start.
Search ETA, here you go: RYA SRC VHF Marine Radio Exams
Note that you aren't supposed to use these radios on the hills. Use licence free low power PMR radios for that.
Facts About Licence-Free (PMR446) Radios

Last edited:
Aware there maybe a couple of HAMS on arrse.

For a while Ive been thinking of venturing into this. I understand there are courses etc.My question is - I don't really want to be sticking external aerials up.
Is it viable to dabble in something like this with just some for of internal (mobile) aerial?
I harken to when I was 15 and had a CB with a mobile aerial on a biscuit tin behind the chair in spare room.

Is something similar possible on HAM freqs?
There seem to be a lot of them.

A common problem. Lower your expectations if planning to operate at home without external antennas and suffer the wrath of neighbours if you try running 100W in to the biscuit tin whip. It's not a good plan to run high power in that scenario anyway. You must have noticed the warning signs on ships?

You might consider WSPR and low speed data modes, as these interface nicely with your interests in computers and have more chance of success from very low power and small antennas. Don't expect lengthy conversations though. It won't be like ship to shore comms.

I have a maritime radio licence, and keep a hand-held at home. They only talk line of sight, antenna tip to antenna tip, but considering the spoken rubbish that takes up 90% of those airwaves, I doubt that short, choppy messages on land when the SHTF would be a priority for prosecution. Finding someone inland similarly equipped though?

Wouldn't half annoy the Coastguard.

WALT

War Hero
Silly cow also asked me if possession of the flares was illegal, i told her it wasnt my job to determine that.

Should have told her to pop down the nearest marina and arrest every single boat owner.

Re. Mufftickler's query about marine VHF, as Electromagnetic has pointed out, unqualified use is illegal. As part of the qualifying course, you're issued an individual call sign so they know who is who. Without one, you're going to draw attention to yourself. I've got one, somewhere....,not that it's a lot of use now that I'm about 500 miles from the nearest damp patch.

I remember the job mainly because i had a particularly obnoxious police woman threaten to arrest me because i refused to give an immediate statement. Silly cow also asked me if possession of the flares was illegal, i told her it wasnt my job to determine that.
A jumped up officer of the law, throwing their weight about and not having a grasp of their job?

Surely you jest?

I have a maritime radio licence, and keep a hand-held at home. They only talk line of sight, antenna tip to antenna tip, but considering the spoken rubbish that takes up 90% of those airwaves, I doubt that short, choppy messages on land when the SHTF would be a priority for prosecution. Finding someone inland similarly equipped though?

Wouldn't half annoy the Coastguard.
That was my thought process. The reason being, that back in the day a mate had a cb radio and the airwaves were clogged up with teenagers playing constant crap music.
I just thought that moving to something a bit more pricey might free up bandwidth for use in an emergency.

That was my thought process. The reason being, that back in the day a mate had a cb radio and the airwaves were clogged up with teenagers playing constant crap music.
I just thought that moving to something a bit more pricey might free up bandwidth for use in an emergency.
PMR446 radios vary from very cheap to quite expensive. There are plenty about. The range is short so less chance of crowding. Really they are intended for organised groups rather than calling on the off chance but better than nothing. Provided satellites haven't been knocked out a satellite phone or messaging device is one answer, whether at sea, on a mountain or in a ditch, provided it can see some satellites. Example:
Garmin inReach Explorer®+ | Satellite Communicator with TOPO Maps With InReach I think you can pay for a continuous rolling contract or just for a period to cover your needs. Some devices require a bluetooth connection so you can compose a message on your phone. Some can be preconfigured wit messages to select from, for speed of use.

<cough> A budget (SHTF) radio that is very popular in the US of A is the Baofeng UV-5RE (put that into @mazon search). You can upgrade them quite nicely too apparently; high gain antennae, larger battery.

WALT

War Hero
As a slight aside, but still to do with radio, I have a CB in my Land Rover (which I bought from Mr Broccoli, but that's another story). I'm in Germany so I should really apply for a license, but the most I hear is Polish chit chat "repeat please..." so. meh.
However, very occasionally I hear a ham broadcast from the UK. They must have bloody powerful transmitters.
Also, I usually leave it on channel 9 and sometimes on Sunday there's some pillock reading chapters from the bible in a yank accent so this ******** is blocking the emergency channel in Germany by reciting lengthy text in English. Rather poor radio procedure.

endure

GCM
You can't use marine radios but you can use PMR radios without a license.

www.amazon.co.uk/BaoFeng-Earpieces-Handheld-Transceiver-Survival-Black/dp/B07LBCRM8M/ref=pd_sbs_23_2/257-2875240-3623862?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07LBCRM8M&pd_rd_r=8bed1ad5-6fb9-49f3-bf5f-625248cc2bc5&pd_rd_w=BG392&pd_rd_wg=8O4w3&pf_rd_p=b9bf232d-9a8a-4c7d-aa9d-641c0995d3a2&pf_rd_r=J634JZB6FS3RNRH3FXBJ&psc=1&refRID=J634JZB6FS3RNRH3FXBJ

Latest Threads