Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halloween decorations

I'd never heard of guising until this thread, did it happen down south anywhere, or did I grow up somewhere too posh to know of it?
Normally at this time of year in Somerset, we were doing "penny for the guy" and nicking anything combustable for the village bonfire.
I believe guising is a Scottish thing, but Halloween has been celebrated in the UK since medieval times.

Silly buggers round here are letting off fireworks a fortnight early, our dog shit himself and knocked the Christmas tree over.
The first post I have actually LOL’d to in a long long time, and I’m ill today so well done

diehard57

War Hero
Partly untrue. In deepest darkest Scotland when I was a kid in the late 50s, early 60s, we made a lantern out of a turnip (the orange ones) and put a candle in it. I can still smell that burning turnip.....

Anyway, we'd get dragged round to friends' houses and be made to do 'a turn', after which we'd be rewarded with sweeties. (No subtext implied or intended - all we got was some sweeties!).

We were 'dressed up' usually with papier mache masks from Woolies and the event was known as 'Guising', I assume from us being dis-guised, but I'm prepared to be corrected on this.

I hate all the Americanism that has come into it now. You'd think they'd invented it - Salem Witch Hunts anyone?

Attachments

• FEC37AB3-A965-4AC8-A946-73054EB603E2.jpeg
    FEC37AB3-A965-4AC8-A946-73054EB603E2.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 47

Dr Death

War Hero
A house on my street has a load of Halloween decorations up. Is this a thing now, or an isolated incident?
Break out the remmington shotgun and hatton rounds the house dwellers must be covid carriers?
They are delusional or are zombies and must be stopped as boris is cancelling everything till the 31st December as the real party starts on the 1st January 2021.

sand_rat

Old-Salt
close to me one house ( they might have a bob or two) have a hearse parked up (v dark blue not black though) with a plethora of accesories in it, axe, skeleton, pumpkins, signage etc. Im intrigued as to what it will look like on the night.

A wonderful guide to perhaps now forgotten customs.

A personal favourite of mine involves the Mari Lwyd. Any excused to run around with a ghostly horse head on a stick.

As that sort of bollocks is my ancestry, I think I'm meant to play the 'Cultural Appropriation' card here... Anyway, the Mari Lwyd ritual only works when the family-tree-to-branch ratio is as close as possible to 1:1. My granddad was the 'white sheep' of the family, in that he married someone not immediately related to him and consequently we can just get pissed and don't have to go out wearing horse's skulls and drinking the blood of tourists every time the Julian New Year comes around.

We did it in the Midlands too, then it disappeared and now it's this trick or treat shit

What the yoofs do here is to toilet paper a house on halloween if they don't like the resident. It basically involves throwing bog-rolls at a house holding onto the end so that it is a streamer effect. Particlarly irritating for the recipient if the kids repeatedly throw the bog-roll thru trees and there is no rain for a few weeks - the recipient never quite manages to get all the bog-roll out of the tree and it is there as a badge of shame.

Or, they egg the house. More expensive throwing eggs at a house and cars parked outside, but just as irritating for the recipient as being bog-rolled.

I saw that on the Wiki entry but didn't know when that died out. Down south in that there London there was nothing like that where I lived just a bit of fuss on the TV.

I wonder if the guising has survived at all? I'd hope so.
It has, along the East Coast of Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Nova Scotia.

The little ******* learn a hard lesson round my house, I buy bags and bags of jelly beans in interesting flavours (dog food, rotten fish, vomit, rotten cheese etc.) Looks like genuine sweets.
Made for this game

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201022-211548.png
    Screenshot_20201022-211548.png
    819.7 KB · Views: 26
Mobile Caravans????

Walting as pikeys, that would be cultural appropriation now and you'd have plod round investigating hate crimes faster than Katie Price can drop her knickers
Probably American caravans so likely the size of a hangar rather than the sort of thing you see arrive in the dead of night on the village green.

I saw that on the Wiki entry but didn't know when that died out. Down south in that there London there was nothing like that where I lived just a bit of fuss on the TV.

I wonder if the guising has survived at all? I'd hope so.
Not in my part of that there London but bits of it, like bobbing for apples was rolled into our Guy Fawkes party

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Down in the sunny uplands of London, we only celebrated "penny for the guy", used to start a week before Bonfire Night, collect the cash and get one of the kid's older brothers to buy our fireworks, normally just "bangers" and terrorise the neighbourhood. Kids these day don't know that they're born, it would probably be classed as "obtaining money with threats" these days, mind most of the kids are probably carrying knives so it would be threatening.

RedDinger

Old-Salt
Whatever's going on, get your house on the market and sell up quick, it all sounds frightfully "council".
Its not council though. which makes it worse. And they don't appear to have any children. Could it be a trap?

Chef

LE
Its not council though. which makes it worse. And they don't appear to have any children. Could it be a trap?

Reactolite glasses work in low light conditions for a reason.

Latest Threads