Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halloween decorations

My local area in Ontario, Halloween is rather subdued this year with not much shïte stuck on peoples homes and lawns, but the typical busybodies have been pushing rather hard to get people to decorate for the sake of the children, fück that....

Last edited:
We did it in the Midlands too, then it disappeared and now it's this trick or treat shit

Same thing, different name.

In the US people have a choice as to whether the want the wee ones coming to the door or not. If you want the kids to come to the door folks leave an outside light on.

Not really, trick or treat was never mentioned, nor were sweets expected or as I recall given here. It was just a time to dress up and have fun for kids.

So trick or treat was never mentioned, kids still dressed up, knocked on doors and were given sweets or fruit or money.

Same thing, different name is all.

In the US people have a choice as to whether the want the wee ones coming to the door or not. If you want the kids to come to the door folks leave an outside light on.

I find that suspending a 5-year old in a gibbet over one of these

1603387455639.png

. . . does the trick.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
So trick or treat was never mentioned, kids still dressed up, knocked on doors and were given sweets or fruit or money.

Same thing, different name is all.
You didn't read what I wrote, the only resemblance to trick or treat was costumes and the date.

Canada is the same.

Living off the beaten track these days I must admit that I do kind of miss the kids coming around at halloween. It was great seeing them all dressed up and having loads of fun.

You said that you did it in the Midlands too, I took that as you went guising or whatever they called it in the Midlands.

Living off the beaten track these days I must admit that I do kind of miss the kids coming around at halloween. It was great seeing them all dressed up and having loads of fun.
Living on a farm does that, I can’t remember the last time l had any come round, has to be at least 15-20 years. All the local neighbours with children are Dutch Christian Reformist’s so they don’t partake in dressing up as it’s on par with satanism in their books.

All the local neighbours with children are Dutch Christian Reformist’s so they don’t partake in dressing up as it’s on par with satanism in their books.

Yeah the Mormons around these parts are the same about Halloween.

Or just put one or both of these pictures in a window if you want to get rid of the little scrotes.
Elton John.jpg
Jim Saville.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
You said that you did it in the Midlands too, I took that as you went guising or whatever they called it in the Midlands.
I was but no sweets etc as I said, I can't actually recall it being called anything other than Halloween though but it was 50 years or so ago.

I was but no sweets etc as I said, I can't actually recall it being called anything other than Halloween though but it was 50 years or so ago.

Aye okay fair enough. TBH when we went guising, not many people gave out sweets either, most gave a shilling or two. Here in the US people never used to give out sweets either, it was always fruit or some other form of food when I used to take our kids around but it was still called Trick or Treat.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Aye okay fair enough. TBH when we went guising, not many people gave out sweets either, most gave a shilling or two. Here in the US people never used to give out sweets either, it was always fruit or some other form of food when I used to take our kids around but it was still called Trick or Treat.
Apparently it was "souling"
According to Brown (1992) Souling was performed in Birmingham and parts of the West Midlands;[77] and according to Raven (1965) the tradition was also kept in parts of the Black Country.[78] The prevalence of Souling was so localised in some parts of Staffordshire that it was observed in Penn but not in Bilston, both localities now in modern Wolverhampton.[79][80] In Staffordshire, the "custom of Souling was kept on All Saints' Eve" (halloween

We did it in the Midlands too, then it disappeared and now it's this trick or treat shit

Guising was "penny for the guy". A stuffed effigy of Guy Fawkes on a soap-box cart dragged from door to door in search of pennies or sweets (preferably both) in the first five days of November until said effigy met a fiery end on Bonfire Night.

Happy days.

A wonderful guide to perhaps now forgotten customs.

A personal favourite of mine involves the Mari Lwyd. Any excused to run around with a ghostly horse head on a stick.

Penny for Halloween when I was growing up in West Auckland. I did it once with a mate when we were 10 (1980 ish). He had a rather hideous rubber mask that he had picked up on holiday in Blackpool and combined it with a white sheet. I was the front man who knocked on the door and said penny for Halloween. We did quite well (£11 springs to mind) because people were impressed that my mate had made the effort. Mind he didn't really need the mask as his nickname was Plug (from the Bash Street Kids).

Latest Threads