Halifax Bomber With Aircrew Found In Poland

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by wotan, Dec 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Polish historians have found the remains of a Halifax bomber of 148 Sqn, along with the remains of the British and Canadian aircrew. Apparently, the plane and crew were dropping supplies in support of the Warsaw Uprising in 1944 when they were shot down.

The Polish authorities have contacted both the British and Canadian embassies in Warsaw to arrange suitable return of the fallen. The article is brief, but my take on it is that the Poles are doing their best to honour the dead and bring some measure of comfort to any remaining relatives of the aircrew.

More can be found at: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/12/01/2576916-ap.html

I know that usual practice is to bury the fallen where they fell, but in this case, I would sort of like to see these men returned home.

At any rate, they should be properly honoured for the sacrifice and interred with care and respect. Thanks to the Poles and many thanks to the fallen.
  2. Fantastic news , and a big well done to Piotr , who is a bit of a Halifax nut. JP276 has been known about for some time , and there has been activity in the past concerning it , but I think this is the first time sizeable remnants have been taken out, and I presume, the remains of the rest of the crew?

What isn't mentioned, is the Polish habit of building small shrines from remnants of Halibag and other aircraft from the Warsaw Airlift , close to where they came down. I have corresponded in the past with some people who've been involved with this, and I may still have the photos in my email somewhere.

Well done to the team , and now they have something to show with that massive painting in the Warsaw Museum.
  3. PTP I was not aware that any examples of The Halifx remained.
    Good to hear that three exsist in museams worldwide.
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

5. Brave blokes, at last their relatives can also be at rest.

On the Yorkshire Air Museum subject, they used to have a display of Halifax parts recovered from a crash site in East Yorkshire, as an air cadet I went on one of the "digs" but by then all of the main parts had been recovered. Including a landing carriage main strut from a tree where it had been for 40 odd years.
  6. Elvington, was there on an exercise in 1972/3 ?
    Best of luck to them.
  7. Bit cheeky of them to call it an original though, when it's mostly replica.But it serves to serve a very important purpose.

The definitive 'real' Halifax is here. NA337 a 'proper' Halifax and a recovery from Lake Mjosa in 1995 , and painstakingly rebuilt by a small team of dedicated volunteers, including Halibag Air and Ground crews all giving their time and money to get her restored.

More on the engineering here, some lump in the throat moments too

As she was......... http://www.dunrobincastle.com/NewEra%20Explorers/recoveries_and_salvage.htm

And being re-built and as she is now.
    Lots of great shots here of the restoration, and lots of engineering shots to keep you happy Jon :D

8. Returned home where?

I think the old CWGC rules are right. They flew and died together and its right they should be buried together.

The missions to drop supplies to the Warswaw rising were some of the most dangerous heavy bomber missions flown by the RAF during the Second World War. Typical bombing missions to the Reich might be at 18k with a 5-6 hour flight. Warsaw is much further than Berlin and the supply drops were fromlow level - 100-300 ft. 12% + of aircraft were lost. Thats an unsuistainable loss rate.

It would be best if these chaps were buried in the nearest Commonwealth War Grace Cemetary or in a part of the cemetary in Warsaw. The city that they died trying to save.
  9. Who are we, who understand so little of sacrifice, to have the arrogance to impose our "generation X" values on our fathers and grandfathers?

They should certainly be treated with reverance, but why should they be treated diffrently than any of the hundereds of thousands of others who had died in that conflict?

Will the people of Warsaw not have a view on this as well? Their memories and their pride in what UK and those aircrew did for them, is probably a lot stronger there in Warsaw, than it is at home.

Next thing you know some politicos will be turning into a self-seeking media opportunity. Please, the least we can do is give them some dignity.