Half of all British servicemen say they want to quit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jul 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Britain’s ability to sustain campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan was called into question last night as it emerged that almost half of all military personnel are ready to quit.

The first survey to assess attitudes across the Army, Navy and RAF reveals unprecedented levels of concern over equipment, morale and pay.

The research was conducted by the Ministry of Defence and involved more than 24,000 military personnel. It found that the sense of overcommitment means that 47 per cent of soldiers and army officers think regularly of handing in their resignations.

Didn't think it would be long before someone analysed the 50 pages of stats...

2. And the other half think of handing in their resignations on a part time basis...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Hat! Coat! Taxi!
  3. I served for 23 years and I thought about quitting many a time.
  4. http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/FirstTriserviceAttitudeSurveyPublished.htm

Feck me some right gems in there...

not that high then :roll:
  5. If they think it's bad now, just wait 'til Iran kicks off... :twisted:
  6. The government arent stupid enough to put us in there aswell, if they keep pushing then the army will just have no choice but to say no!
    Israel will have to lead on iran im afraid, much to the displeasure of the arab world!
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The Times
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The Times

Nothing new, but it keeps banging home the message. Problem is, is anyone listening?
  9. Those of us with with several years service under our belts could see what was coming when Tom King & his successors swung the axe at the end of the cold war. It was a standing joke in the 80's that you only went home to fill up your flask.........& all we had to worry about was tours in NI & chasing lesbians around Greenham Common!
  10. survey is one thing, doing is another. Whitehall well known for sticking their head in the sand and denying that there is a problem.

IF they do go through as the survey says, what will Whitehall do ?, they will have to admit there is problem, but by then the damage is done.
  11. Await the sh1te Laibour spin on this one.............

When is Shreks' question time?
  12. I am hearing about medical re-classifications to enable soldiers currently considered non-deployable to be deployed.

Anyone else back this up?
  13. Huh - no bugger asked me my opinion. They obviously don't care about me enough :cry:
  14. The thing is, let's say the Government thinks "sh!t, we've messed up abit here" and decides to boost the Regular Army up to say, 250,000 troops and pours funds into recruitment etc. (We're working from the realm of fantasy here by the way)

Could this be done? Even with RRTs bombaring every every school and college in the UK with literature and presentations would this be possible?

Recently there seems to be less and less appetite amongst the younger generation to serve in the forces, what was so different in the 70s and 80s? Is it because the threat of all out war was right on the doorstep? Is it because you were more likely to know someone that is or was in the forces back then compared to now? Or is it to do with how society has changed now?

Just trying to get some discussion going!

15. The numbers are alarming , but there will never be a "breaking point", will there. Could you ever see a commanding officer refuse to deploy his unit ? Surely tours will just get longer and longer. Short of a full scale mutiny, what in reality is the real point of no return ??