Half filled magazine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiBarber

Swinger
Hello,

I was chatting to this police officer yesterday whilst undertaking some work. He was kind enough to let me take a pic of his weapon, which I believe is a Heckler & Koch G36. After looking at the pics later two things occurred to me;

1) The magazine seems only to be half-filled. Bearing in mind his job was the protection of a VVIP, is there a practical reason for this?

2) The barrel of his weapon seems very short compared to pictures I have seen of other H&K G36's. Also it's split. What practical effect does this have on the round, I assumed a longer barrel meant better accuracy?

Picture 4.png

Mag probably has 25 ish rounds in - look at the spring compression, you couldn't fit too much more in. They are personal protection - long range is not their forte - attacks happen at close range. A lot of flash suppressor's are like that. They work - it may be the surefre one.

ACPO Manual of Police use of Firearms. The loads are designated against specific situational and risk factors. (N.B. In an urban London situation if you have to pop off 15 rounds of 5.56 it's usually too late anyway)

The dual function sight may give you a clue to the capability of this weapon, aside from mag melts.

Also, you will find the officer is carryon a Glock 17 with a full mag and another in reserve, plus a taser, baton, CS spray and cuffs. More tooled up than most EU cops.

It is a G36 K and I can't remembers the reason for a muzzle break (brake) right now

Hello,

I was chatting to this police officer yesterday whilst undertaking some work. He was kind enough to let me take a pic of his weapon, which I believe is a Heckler & Koch G36. After looking at the pics later two things occurredIt just to me;

1) The magazine seems only to be half-filled. Bearing in mind his job was the protection of a VVIP, is there a practical reason for this?

2) The barrel of his weapon seems very short compared to pictures I have seen of other H&K G36's. Also it's split. What practical effect does this have on the round, I assumed a longer barrel meant better accuracy?

View attachment 180578

It's a G36c, the carbine of the series.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember speaking to a cop in Connaught square near tony bliars house he showed me a round that was blatantly a dum dum. It's illegal for the military to fight with but ok for the police to use, makes sense really using subsonic rounds that will do maximum damage without exiting and ruining aunty Gladys shopping trip as she finds herself in the wrong place at the wrong time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember speaking to a cop in Connaught square near tony bliars house he showed me a round that was blatantly a dum dum. It's illegal for the military to fight with but ok for the police to use, makes sense really using subsonic rounds that will do maximum damage without exiting and ruining aunty Gladys shopping trip as she finds herself in the wrong place at the wrong time

The loads for the G36 in Police use for UK are 5.56 soft nose, semi jacketed boat tails. The pistol rounds in 9mm are semi jacketed hollow points. Both are designed for concussive shock and under penetration if centre mass / bone are struck.

Long story short, they make a rightly effective mess whilst complying with Section3 CLA 1977.

ACPO Manual of Police use of Firearms. The loads are designated against specific situational and risk factors. (N.B. In an urban London situation if you have to pop off 15 rounds of 5.56 it's usually too late anyway)

The dual function sight may give you a clue to the capability of this weapon, aside from mag melts.

Also, you will find the officer is carryon a Glock 17 with a full mag and another in reserve, plus a taser, baton, CS spray and cuffs. More tooled up than most EU cops.

It is a G36 K and I can't remembers the reason for a muzzle break (brake) right now

it's a 36C with a bog standard "henchoz" sight, nothing special at all. In fact it narrows it down to one of only a few forces who were too tight to go for a top-rail conversion and a decent optic.

Those mags are shit as well, even HK will admit that after a few pints. Most forces have two sets, so one set can "relax" the spring while the other is in use.

sorry mate, but bollox. Police ammo is very tightly regulated, if he had "dum dums" in his magazine, he was a long way off the reservation.

The loads for the G36 in Police use for UK are 5.56 soft nose, semi jacketed boat tails. The pistol rounds in 9mm are semi jacketed hollow points. Both are designed for concussive shock and under penetration if centre mass / bone are struck.

Long story short, they make a rightly effective mess whilst complying with Section3 CLA 1977.

they aren't "loads for G36". They are ammo natures, as used in the 5.56mm carbine of choice fir whatever force in question.

They don't have separate ammo for each weapon.

it's a 36C with a bog standard "henchoz" sight, nothing special at all. In fact it narrows it down to one of only a few forces who were too tight to go for a top-rail conversion and a decent optic.

Those mags are shit as well, even HK will admit that after a few pints. Most forces have two sets, so one set can "relax" the spring while the other is in use.

sorry mate, but bollox. Police ammo is very tightly regulated, if he had "dum dums" in his magazine, he was a long way off the reservation.
Actually, the sight is dual purpose. It's a 50 m red dot on top and a 4x optics below. Common pool purchased item between 14 forces at last count. Cheapish but quite effective for plod needs. I had many possibles on range days with that piece pf kit outside of 250 m when the primary weapon qual is 100m only due to Police situational assessments as per ACPO manual.

Hello,

I was chatting to this police officer yesterday whilst undertaking some work. He was kind enough to let me take a pic of his weapon, which I believe is a Heckler & Koch G36. After looking at the pics later two things occurred to me;

View attachment 180578

black shabby coat, blue trousers and a Motorola? what force was he, Trumpton?

they aren't "loads for G36". They are ammo natures, as used in the 5.56mm carbine of choice fir whatever force in question.

They don't have separate ammo for each weapon.
Ok, the round "designated" for police use in a G36 is a 5.56 soft nose semi jacketed boat tail round.

Actually, the sight is dual purpose. It's a 50 m red dot on top and a 4x optics below. Common pool purchased item between 14 forces at last count. Cheapish but quite effective for plod needs. I had many possibles on range days with that piece pf kit outside of 250 m when the primary weapon qual is 100m only due to Police situational assessments as per ACPO manual.

I know exactly what it is, it's the no-cost option for Police when they order a G from HK. It's so great that any force that could find funding went for a top rail with EoTech or ACOG on it

I know exactly what it is, it's the no-cost option for Police when they order a G from HK. It's so great that any force that could find funding went for a top rail with EoTech or ACOG on it
You're missing my point. That sight system, whilst cheap, was and is effective. I'm no match sniper / rifle officer but I had perfect 6 week quals on that system for 3+ years with no issue according to Police standards. Mil shoots and Police shoots vastly differ.

You're missing my point. That sight system, whilst cheap, was and is effective. I'm no match sniper / rifle officer but I had perfect 6 week quals on that system for 3+ years with no issue according to Police standards. Mil shoots and Police shoots vastly differ.

I would say it was adequate, rather than effective. I take your point that it is acceptable for the quals but it is prone to sticking due to the very basic zeroing system.

Status
Not open for further replies.