Half decent suits - affordable (for an avg bloke) price in London?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by redshift, Jun 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey fellas,

Now that I am growing up (sort of) and the fact that I just realized (T- 4hrs) the suit I will wear to my interview doesn't really meet the standards of the grown ups, wanted to know if there are any half decent places which I can AFFORD here in London? I am willing to spend 3 to 400 GBP on it (preferably around the GBP200 mark). I know it's not much here in London, but that's a lot where I come back from in the U.S.

Anyways, any suggestions and tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Seriously mate, i used to be a manager for a charity... try them first (it aint as bad as it sounds) ive got 8 suits...no shit ones... paul smith, gucci etc etc

• Like Like x 1
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Get yourself to Ede & Ravenscroft - they are having their summer sale at the moment.

A two piece single breasted suit, two button, double vent, charcoal grey herringbone will set you back £305 including shortening the trousers. They also have a number of other styles and cloths in the sale, but that is the most "traditional". If you are way off a standard size, they will be able to alter it to fit better for extra.

This is a proper business suit in a decent weight cloth and a classic cut. You won't go wrong.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. TK Max do some good end of line stuff.

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  6. One of the problems I find is that suits are inevitably sold as a matched coat and trousers, and a lot of places won't split them. If like me you're broad across the chest 42/44, you find the matched trousers are usually a 36/38 waist (I'm a 32/34)

If you need separate fitting coat and trousers in a hurry, head down to M&S as you can pick the items to fit quite easily. Not the best styles or quality, but a wide choice and if you're not going to be wearing it often, or alternatively need a few suits for work but are unlikely to wear them outside work. They can be good value.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Austin Reed, DAKS etc are all good quality. Just dont get something with a belt!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sorry, misread the title and thought it said 'sluts' rather than 'suits'.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Well good luck if you are shopping in London.jesus,you've got to re-mortgage just to buy a pint!

10. Hmmmm.....never even considered M&S....such a stupid name though.....

11. I'll second this advice. It is always worth spending money on a decent suit and getting it tailored, a cheap suit will only look good for a short while before it looks like a cheap suit.

A decent suit will always look good.

• Like Like x 1
  12. M&S, used to get my work suits at Oxford St, get two pairs of trousers and a jacket.

13. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Interview suit. Buy it on credit card do interview, take it back for refund on credit card.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Bless your cuban heels.......

You didn't need them to sew your wings on though, that was a little OTT

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Of course I didn't, that would be ridiculous.

(I had them sew on the velcro for the blanking panel instead, so I can rip them off if I need to sanitise my kit before I head to the pub)

• Like Like x 2