Half-arsed law

So what about Traffic Officers and road workers, who put their lives on the line everyday when dealing with arsey, gob-shite, entitled members of the public?
I've known guys been threatened with knives and firearms for having the temerity to just do their job of closing a road.
You can probably think of other workers who could use this level of support as well.
@BossHogg

Last edited:

NSP

LE

So what about Traffic Officers and road workers, who put their lives on the line everyday when dealing with arsey, gob-shite, entitled members of the public?
I've known guys been threatened with knives and firearms for having the temerity to just do their job of closing a road.
You can probably think of other workers who could use this level of support as well.
@BossHogg
I'm sure any constable being dragged down the road to their death will be heartened to know that, if the ******* in the car are found guilty of their murder, then they're guaranteed life in the nick, pending HR appeals and all the rest. And the playing of the race card...

Still, better than nothing, I s'pose...

@BossHogg
We're getting body worn cameras issued this month due to the amount of abuse we receive.

It's interesting to see that I am classed as an emergency worker in my role as a volunteer community first responder but I'm not in my role as a highways traffic officer.

Tuffty

War Hero
I'm sure any constable being dragged down the road to their death will be heartened to know that, if the ******* in the car are found guilty of their murder, then they're guaranteed life in the nick, pending HR appeals and all the rest. And the playing of the race card...

Still, better than nothing, I s'pose...
Dont forget the PTSD card as well

Rab_C

LE
I am sorry I totally disagree with not applying the same rules to everyone. Murder is murder whether an on duty emergency services worker or a 50 year old walking home. The playing field should be levelled for all.

Chef

LE
I am sorry I totally disagree with not applying the same rules to everyone. Murder is murder whether an on duty emergency services worker or a 50 year old walking home. The playing field should be levelled for all.
It's interesting to see that I am classed as an emergency worker in my role as a volunteer community first responder but I'm not in my role as a highways traffic officer.
I think BossHogg's post illustrates that rather nicely. Murder him doing his day job, perhaps responding to a life threatening situation on a motorway, 15 years. Murder him at the village fete as he's getting outside some nice home made scones, 30 years.

NB. All tariffs and situations are arbitrary, rather like this law seems to be.

The difference is that a member of the public can walk away from an incident, coppers and medical staff go towards it.

It's on a par with misguided (and actually divisive and malignant) hate crimes legislation.

Any violent crime in the UK is primarily a crime against the Queen's Peace, not against an individual victim. It's wrong - and dangerous - to place a higher value on the lives of specific groups.

Arguably, it also happened in the past. The murderer of a police officer would have been hanged. The murderer of a random stranger might have have been sentenced to life in prison.

The real problem is that there are too many habitual criminals free in the community. A healthier society would lock them up. New legislation like Harper's Law is a government PR exercise and a sop to a frustrated public.

NSP

LE
We're getting body worn cameras issued this month due to the amount of abuse we receive.
The downside to that is that you will no longer be able to facepalm the tosser firmly onto his arse whilst assertively uttering a loud, "Fuck off, you caaant!!!"

@BossHogg
" Good morning" sir, I'm the electrician from *****, you had a letter informing you that the electric would be cut off for about 6 hours...." Fruck off, my tropical fish...." He slams the door, i knock again, the door opens and he is holding a large carving knife....................... FFS........... A council estate in Kiddiminster in 2003. :eek:

( Fitting a new consumer unit)

" Good morning" sir, I'm the electrician from *****, you had a letter informing you that the electric would be cut off for about 6 hours...." Fruck off, my tropical fish...." He slams the door, i knock again, the door opens and he is holding a large carving knife....................... FFS........... A council estate in Kiddiminster in 2003. :eek:

( Fitting a new consumer unit)

You and your fables will one day rival Bugsy.

The difference is that a member of the public can walk away from an incident, coppers and medical staff go towards it.
Including the coppers who run and hide in their cars?

I would have to agree, it is a matter of the choice; you put the uniform on. You remain principally a Human being. However, just a thought, there are times when it's almost like there's an undeclared war between authority and those who don't want it. The variations in tariff are there for that very reason.