Half a year, what can I show for it?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Apocalypse_later, Apr 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a new subbie, badged Signals and a student in civvy street. In a rather unusual position where my course has gone up the hoop this year and I have changed over to another one starting in October '08. This gives me roughly 6 months of absolutely nothing to do (yet).
    I could go and get a civvy job and make an honest (well) pound or two, or I could as my OC has suggested throw my self on courses/exchanges/dets for 6 months solidly. This I am rather happy to do. Does anyone have any good ideas or know of any courses for 6 months worth of stuff for a 2LT to jump on?
    Cheers guys.

2. Exchange trip to Canadia ?

3. Attatchment to regular unit for extended period? We've had guys go on Ex Med Man at BATUS and Tropical Storm in Belieze for example, with all the build up training it can take nearly six months.

You could try the trawls/OCE list too ;)

4. Volunteer to be an Instructor/Platoon Commander on an EX Summer Challenge? - If youre in the South its 7 weeks

5. this is probably your one and only career break opportunity to get some quals you'll never have the time to do. if you are in the sigs for the long run, go on their young officers' course. there will be loads of PSAO bleats about MTDs - so speak to your CO and see if he can speak to DSigs and get you FTRS'd for the duration - and justify the 'expense' to the value you will be able to give back from then onwards. I suspect the YO course will be 3 months long, and then get an attachment to a sigs det in BATUS - there is nothing you can do that will prep you for the future better than this.

Some will suggest an OP tour - but for my money, at yor stage, learn as much as you can, get as much hard end training as you can, then settle into a proper civvy career with this great start behind you, then you will be very valuable on OPs later, when you have added a bit of time-served experience.

The other big advantage of the YO course is you will meet perhaps 20 other sigs YOs who you will retain as friends and contacts into the future - and that is as useful as the training.

Hope that helps.

6. I definately second this advice. Use this time to get on courses, either what is described above (YO course) or military skills (RMQ, LFTT, etc) as you never know when the opportunity will arise again. Enjoy

7. It looks like the TA one runs only once a year for 6 days (this is a new course).
    The regular one is in 2 parts - 3 day Intro course and a 6 month main course, seems to be a course running every 4 months (next ones June or October).

Did you join the Sqn near you uni??

8. Yeah, I joined the sqn. right across from my uni digs. Cheers for the good advice. Quick question, what do RMQ and LFTT stand for? And to find out about exchanges/atts to BATUS do I just go to my PSAO? I'm going regular most likely after uni and won't be badged Sigs, and that's after the end of next year most probably, so I'm not sure about the worth of concentrating on sigs stuff, if there's anything I can do that I can take over to regs with me..
    Was also thinking along lines that, since I'm an alright diver and skiier (probably a bit out of season) whether I'd be able to do instr. courses on either of them, though I haven't yet heard about people doing that. That kind of thing would help TA (I could instr. on their AT) and when I'm in regs, and be quite jolly. Anyone know of possibilities on that?
    I live in Central London, where I'll be most of this 6 months, if that helps people nominate courses geographically.
    Cheers again for the help chaps.

9. RMQ = Range Management Qualification
    LFTT = Live Firing Tactical Training.

Both qualifications that enable you to run different types of ranges. They would tide you in VERY good stead for Sandhurst. Not sure how you'd go about getting the quals, ask your OC/PSAO. Both quals would be run by the SASC.

Your PSAO should hold a DIN for available courses, including AT. AT courses in the UK are mostly run out of HMS Indefatigable (north Wales) or at JSMTC Ripon. Lots of courses available. Again, definitely useful for the regs.

10. Get onto Armynet, check out the DINs/AINS - one on there advertising all arms/ranks 'unique experience' mobilised in a J2 capacity for about that length of time, bit more perhaps. Lots of other stuff on there too.

11. "Was also thinking along lines that, since I'm an alright diver and skiier (probably a bit out of season) whether I'd be able to do instr. courses on either of them, though I haven't yet heard about people doing that. That kind of thing would help TA (I could instr. on their AT) and when I'm in regs, and be quite jolly. Anyone know of possibilities on that?"

If you've got the required hours of experience already logged (not necessarily written down already though, as long as you have the experience to log and are confident of your abilities) then you shoud be able to get on the Instructor courses, if not it would be very hard.

12. 4 PARA gap year? Could crack P Coy and get your wings. If your that way inclined.