Haiti Earthquake - Will we follow our Yank friends?

I'm sure Browns spin doctors are weighing up the votes/cost benefit as we speak.

What troops?

Maybe a cheap holiday for the ACF? :roll:

You can bet anything that Cyclops will be writing a check for a few hundred million as soon as the BBC have a free TV studio though...

Short answer - almost certainly not

Longer answer - where do you expect us to find the troops, airlift, resources, ships and so on from to do this?
More to the point, could you please show me where the "Earthquake Recovery Unit" is based on our ORBAT?

Haiti shouldn't pose the big problem it initially seems to.

The place looked like it had been hit by a massive earthquake anyway, and seeing as Voodo is the most popular "religion" in the country, a few hundred gallons of chicken blood, some jangly bells and a few dozen wild eyed stampy footed "High priests" should see all those corpses littering the streets back up as zombies and on their feet in no time

Job Jobbed.

What is APT(N) and why is it often tasked with disaster relief?

A frigate and an RFA with its attendant stores and helicopter thingy might be useful

There are already thousands of brits over the border in the Dominican Republic, perhaps they could interrupt their hols and pop over for a spot of grief whoring

Why not use the TA? Maybe not, probably wont have enough days left....

gimpmask said:
jim30 said:
More to the point, could you please show me where the "Earthquake Recovery Unit" is based on our ORBAT?
Somewhere in the Fire Service / Mountain Rescue Service - although I could be mistaken on this one.
You are correct. Urban Search And Rescue teams were on their way yesterday,made up from fire service personnnel from certain brigades,mainly london and greater manchester i think.

RFA Largs Bay ready for Haiti relief mission

She sails from Marchwood today. Help would have arrived earlier if the RN still had a permanent West Indies guardship (WIGS) but what is now termed the Atlantic Patrol Task (North) [APT(N)] ship is limited to the hurricane season (Jun to Dec) owing to our shortage of ships. Ironically, HMS Iron Duke, equipped for disaster relief, returned from the Windies on 14 December without being relieved on station.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
stevehopkins Sick Jokes 0
1 Sick Jokes 0
1 Sick Jokes 0