Haiti and the Blacks

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by dave8307, Feb 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Botswana Sunday Standard 20th Jan 2010

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but I thought the NAAFI would be best for the comments forthcoming:

Link

...veeerrrrrry interesting

2. It isn't really a clever insight by this writer, in as much as many of the black populated countries can't properly help themselves without foreign aid and are pretty corrupt at the top end anyway. Many of the people of such countries are also more than happy to migrate to a so called 'white country,' take everything that's on offer and give only hate in return. Quite a naive person wrote that, so many have the begging bowl out but hate us, perhaps often understandably.

3. So are we a "white" country then? I feel like a spot on a domino most days.

4. Flucking hell, carlbfc, you want to try being the only brown person in Dorset. Although I did laugh my ass off when an old guy came up to us in a pub and said to me, with a barely visible twinkle in his squinted eye:

"You look like a furriner to me..."

*tense pause*

"...Are you from Cornwall?"

Anyway, I think it's an honest critique about the dangers of paternalism. Almost literally.

When a snotty 18-year old says, "You can't tell me what to do!" while living under your roof and eating your food, what do you do? You invite them to fluck off somewhere else and pay their own rent so they can do as they please. In some cases you actually enforce that...either said kid will find they are a stronger, more self-actualized person for it or they come begging to come back under your terms.

Maybe that's too simplistic a view but as the author pointed out, some countries have no problem expressing their contempt for the Great White Father in just such simplistic terms. (Although I'm reluctant to refer to the US as a "white country"...just not a predominantly black one.)

5. No we are multi something. Oh yes multibenifitsandfreebies.

6. Is this a rhetorical device or has this guy from Botswana never been to any other part of Africa? I expect life is a never-ending series of disappointments for him.