Hairy Panic in Oz

Thread diversion, but I take it that the citizens of a certain tiny hamlet in southern Germany are breathing a sigh of relief now that the Brits have virtually pulled out of the country and they no longer have to replace their town signs every time a minibus full of squaddies on adventure training passes through. 'Wank' was a favourite stop for a piss break and photocall.

And if you were holidaying in Austria near Salzburg it was always worth a quick trip around 20miles north to visit the tiny Austrian village of Fucking for another photo souvenir......... there's a road safety sign underneath which features a picture of two children and the motto "Please, not so fast" ....

Last edited:
There's a place in Tasmania called Nowhere Else. Having been there and spied the six-fingered residents, I tend to agree
Wrong - Norfolk, East Anglia.

I believe @Offendi knows 'Ramsbottom' quite well.

Thread diversion, but I take it that the citizens of a certain tiny hamlet in southern Germany are breathing a sigh of relief now that the Brits have virtually pulled out of the country and they no longer have to replace their town signs every time a minibus full of squaddies on adventure training passes through. 'Wank' was a favourite stop for a piss break and photocall.

And if you were holidaying in Austria near Salzburg it was always worth a quick trip around 20miles north to visit the tiny Austrian village of Fucking for another photo souvenir......... there's a road safety sign underneath which features a picture of two children and the motto "Please, not so fast" ....

As long ago as '91 the local authority had fitted the road signs in Wank with special nuts and bolts in order to prevent theft. Or so I have been told.
Another favourite in Germany was the village of Wankum, with its delightful little Gasthof called the Wankumhof.
How the sign of the latter came to end up in the bar of the gliding club in RAF Laarbruch is one of lifes little mysteries that will never be solved. Not that I'm worried as the offence has time expired.
And just one final one, the villages of Wyre Piddle and Piddle in the Hole in the Vale of Evesham.

But I bet you've never been to Twatt - or Dildo...?!
I've been to both Twatts and the pictures are on here somewhere to prove it :D I haven't been to Dildo, yet!

Oh come on, there's plenty of places in Britain that have interesting or descriptive names. From my old stomping ground in County Durham we have Pity Me and No Place. And don't forget Cockfield. and that's just one county. I'm sure that there are plenty of others.

Then there are the real meanings of foreign names. The river running through my home village is the Gaunless. It's a Viking word. It means Useless.
From just on the Worcestershire/West Mids border there's the delightful areas of Bell End and Licky End.

I thought that in Norfolk they're web-footed not six fingered. Or has evolution moved on since I was last there in the 70s?
Multicultural diversity. The West Norfolk drain-dwellers are interbreeding with the East Norfolk farmers (who are blessed with extra fingers to lose in the combine).

It's the 21st century, you know. Even in Norfolk.