Hairy night stalkers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by target_stop, Mar 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon.

I have been involved in a project set by my education centre recently when i can across this unit called the "Werwolfs". From what i understand they were a German gorilia force that were there to operate behind enemy lines once the Allied forces had moved into Germany.

I was intrigued to find that many years after the war people still belived this unit was operating. So much so that the soviets arrested many young men over a few years after the war.

Has anyone else heard of this unit or its activites after the war?

Regards.

(Sorry for any mong spelling, as i said i am trying to better it via the education centre)

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Ever heard if Wiki? Its mint.

Werwolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to impress your eductors, maybe look at the reality of Werwolf vs the scare tactics of Werwolf? And if you want to really REALLY impress then, maybe compare the reality of Werwolf with the reality of big surface Cherman sea raiders in WW2 vs the scare they shot into the oceans of the world?

I could go on, but I have a manicure booked. And helping students only really engages me if you are 5'9" and blond. And you aint.

3. Ah yes and you should always trust wiki........

4. TheIronDuke

5. I found 'google' more than helpful. Type in this and see what comes up: 'german werewolf resistance' Ayone with a basic knowledge of WW2 has heard of them and what they thought they would do and what they actually ended up doing. One of the reasons why jeeps etc had wire cutters mounted on poles

6. I must have had the basic basic WW2 knowledge then. It was more the after the war stuff i am kind of looking in to. I have seen bits and bobs but was just wondering if it was just my shit research skills that was kicking this stuff up.

7. TheIronDuke

Gosh no. The thing is written by Septics and is a right shower. But one should always trust ze Chermans when they are on the back foot and claim they have a secret Btn of WEREWOLVES up in the hills? Possibly HOWLING?

Sorry, but I'll take Wiki as a starting point then reserach from there. But hey, I dont need to. I'm educated, you know?

8. I thought this was going to be about a large hairy black man buggering vulnerable pensioners.

I had a semi too.

DC

9. TheIronDuke

Right. [/pisstake]

There is no such thing as shit research skills and dont let any four-eyed **** tell you there is.

Your challenge is to look at the Werwolf and their effect upon events in 1944 and beyond? You could draw a comparison to the effect of the surface raiders in spreading fear beyond their capability. Do a Wiki on the Berlin Operation?

If you want to go to 5,000 words, you could maybe drag in Hilary Clinton and her recent statements that Gadaffi had been putting out feelers through his associates to find a safe hven?

I'd call it 'Bullshit Walks, Money Talks and it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye"

10. Wasn't that started because of the attack's by the greif commando ? As ive got a piccy of an M5 covering a crew trying to recover a jeep and it has the wire cutter/pole on the front and its definatly late 1944. Though obviouslt it would make sense in detering, mitigating werewolf attacks along with silver bullets . Of course Otto Skorzeny is linked to tthe commandos the werewold units and ODESSA, im assuming most of the werewolves ended up in South America

11. Thanks for the help Mr Duke. This really is not worth my promotion to Sgt. I miss the days of beating people and getting promoted.

Regards.

12. TheIronDuke

Not a bad starting point when researching Cherman kite ops. Nice one.

They've wrapped the Det. Adjust. Get some ******* research done and move on. Jesus.

13. You want to check out the Brandenburgers as for most of the war they were the German special forces

14. The word I have is Unternehmen Greif as greifkommando has been usurped by 1970's and 1990's nazi resurgency. That was the undercover or allied uniform wearing troops made (in)famous during the Ardennes offensive.

Skorzeny's book 'Skorzeny's Special Missions The Memoirs of "the most dangerous man in europe"' talks more about him and his missions, particularly Panzerbrigade 150, his work in the Ardennes and saving Musso (and nearly killing himself and Il Duce). Funnily enough, he himself doesn't really talk about the werewolves although Leo Kessler (Charles Whiting) in his book Kommando, whilst fiction (based on fact and interviews) on the Brandenburgers and Skorzeny, talks about how they were set up and training etc.

James Lucas in Kommando spends a short chapter on 'Werewolf in the West' about the 5,000 men (actually mostly HJ) who went through the training camps and overall they achieved little. One of the most famous being the assassination of the Burgomeister of Aachen: (just found this) The Werwolf Organization (German Kommando unit) which seems to be corroborated by Lucas and this: The Werewolf Organization

I've also got a book on brandenburgers somewhere. Canaris's lads from just before the invasion of Poland, trying to raise the Egyptian Army against the Brits and sabotaging diamond mines in S Africa etc.

Hauptsturmfuhrer Otto
    [​IMG]