Hairs on your neck, musical memories, old and new...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by mmm-babies-heads, Feb 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This input, as ever,sponsored by Sainsburys 3 yr old Frances finest to fend off the backfire... or maybe not.

Most of us on here started services life as a raw recruits to the Services and suffered or survived easily, a period of our lives called 'basic training' and have memories of particular 'tracks' 'grooves' 'tapes' cd's 'burns' 'scratches' et al that have engrained themselves on our memories till the grave as being that piece of music that will be forever remind us of our early steps in to the 'fore' of our miltary career which makes us have either fond or foul memories.

I'm intrigued to find out the scope of music...modern and wrinkly, that has such a profound memory of those times that will make you put finger to keyboard....

For hopefully thousands of starters, when and where..

WRVS, Southwood Camp, Cove, 1976 (RE) .... 'Living thing', E.L.O. ... 'Sideshow', Barry Biggs, 'You don't have to go', Chi-lites Oohh the good firkin' memories!! For me anyhow.

This isn't restricted to old farts!....obviously!!! (and older farts probably!) Let's have some modern ones too please...

2. Surely Sir you mean 'On' Ilkley moor!!

3. High on a Hill by the band of the Light Division. I was also listening to a lot of Dire Straights at the time. Does that answer the question?

4. Certainly does and I hope for thousands more... Year? Where? Gives us a feel for it!

5. I'm too sexy - 1991. Remembered more for the fact it spawned a catch phrase (i'm too sexy for this rifle, i'm too sexy for this mess tin order etc), than the actual song itself.

6. Peninsular Barracks, Winchester, summer 1985. They finally let us crows out of the block to mingle with the great and good. We'd been stuck with looking longingly out of the windows. Anyroadup I think the Gurkha band was there too and the finale was High on a Hill. The sun was down, it was warm and dry, not a cloud in the sky. It went completely silent and LD buglars posted on the rooftops started it all off. They played the first bars and gradually the band arrayed on the parage ground joined in. It sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about it. I even remember where I was stood on the corner between the Sargeants Mess and the NAAFI block. I can't remember if the PRI was at the end of the NAAFI block or the training shed next to the Sargeants Mess. Anyway it was top drawer stuff. I spoke to one Green Jacket bandsman that night and he said that us toms might scoff at the 'remf' bandsmen but the pride in seeing them play well made all the difference along with those times they pulled you out of the shit on a stretcher.

7. It was old even in 1988.

The first 30 seconds of 'Love will tear us apart again'. She said she'd leave me if I stayed in the TA. I put this on. I realised that I didn't care.

She didn't go, anyway.

8. Had a chance to do an exchange with the Royal Navy in the mid 80s. Did West Indies Guard Ship on HMS Plymouth...sunset on the flight deck...RM bugler playing last post....magical

9. Just joined 11H in Little Aden,stood out like a sore thumb,a real whitey from blighty,we were making our way up to vehicle park and you could hear Del Shannon's 'Runaway' blaring away on a radio somewhere,when he reached the falsetto part,everybody screeched ,'a run,run,run,runaway',together.A great ,intro to the mob,this is going to be OK moment.

10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Wonderful and moving piece of music. Is played at RGJ Association Ladies Nights and the women love it. I first heard it played in an amphitheatre in Cyprus, many long years ago, and it made my goosebumps stand up.
    Other music that recalls first weeks in army, Bobby Vee 'The night has a thousand eyes' Sandy Nelson 'Drum beat' Santo and Johnny 'Sleepwalk'. Just downloaded them onto an mp3 yesterday too.

11. my boy willie, bouncing off the walls of horseguards parade as we marched to the cenatphe.. standards flying, bayonets fixed ,jap tourists cameras clicking...lump im my throat, tear in my eye.

edited for mong spelling and it still aint right..

12. TIGER FEET... not as a recruit but later at the Thursday night Squady Stomp in the NAAFI at Chattendeen Barracks 1974. Fond memories

13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Spooky!
    Just came on the radio as I was reading this post. Del Shannon, 'Runaway'.

14. When I hear The Horst Wessel it always reminds me of my days as a recruit.

Oh what a laugh me and the pope had in our youth.

15. Here is a link for you tazzers Linky can't supply the sunset etc