Hair triggers

About a year ago I bought a Sauer 202 for deer.
Nice glass on it, and got it for a rediculously good price.
But I don't get to use it much because my part of Dorset ..... I will stop there for a bit but it involves the National Trust.

So I travel to a mates permission in Sussex.

Anyway, this magnificent piece of engineering and artisanship has a hair trigger.
I know it's there, have never used it and am just wondering... Why ?

My CZ527 .223 has one too. Set it up and tried it when zeroing. There is not a hope in hell I will use that while out and about. That nice moment when the cross hairs just settle over the target, start the squeeze..."buggery bollox its gone!". Don't like it at all.

I would imagine, but don't know for sure, that is the point.
In my life , I have only squeezed a trigger.
Most times you know the process has started, just not quite sure when bang happens but do whatever to keep it on the aimpoint.
And it was / is good enough.

This hair trigger thing, not sure.

Is it a 'South of Dover' sort of thing, Sauer and all that, or what ?
What ?

Set Triggers , I love them, my CZ527 has one as does my Steyr.

Set Triggers , I love them, my CZ527 has one as does my Steyr.
Why though ?
In a usual shot 'picture' , as you are squeezing, you are still adjusting crosshairs continually, although minutely, until bang
It seems to me, with a hair trigger set, you must touch the trigger as your heartbeat/ shivering, etc effects the cross passing the target.

Why though ?
In a usual shot 'picture' , as you are squeezing, you are still adjusting crosshairs continually, although minutely, until bang
It seems to me, with a hair trigger set, you must touch the trigger as your heartbeat/ shivering, etc effects the cross passing the target.
Light triggers equate to more accurate shooting, all long range precision shooters use very light triggers for that reason, you just have to get used to them, they will improve your grouping.

My 1901 Mannlicher carbine has a set trigger, it took a bit of getting used to but it is so accurate to shoot. For ordinary fieldwork you just use the normal 3-4lbs pull but when you need spot on accuracy, that hair trigger delivers the goods

Light triggers equate to more accurate shooting, all long range precision shooters use very light triggers for that reason, you just have to get used to them, they will improve your grouping.
UK NRA target rifle rules specify a 1.5kg minimum ;)

I believe that there is also a chain of thought that says too light a trigger can lead to trouble as can a trigger that is too heavy.

Aren't 'release triggers' what they prescribe for folks who work themselves into trigger freeze?

A good single trigger is as good as a set trigger in my book.

I do have both, but prefer the double-set for the target range.

Just my .02

It varies as to the firer's taste. As ever, try out different trigger weights (assuming it's adjustable) and see which gives better groups. If it works for you, who cares what weight it is?

I currently run my smallbore rifle at over 150g; many prefer a lighter second stage. I made it a chunk heavier after a fairly big competition where I was nervous enough that my trigger finger was starting to tremble slightly. Afterwards, adding some weight gave me confidence that it wouldn't go bang until I wanted it, but would go bang as soon as I'd committed to it.

I know one slightly-obsessive National Squad who used/uses a ludicrously low trigger weight; but while he swore blind that a featherweight trigger is essential, and that the current iteration of his electronic trigger was the best yet, I never saw him get a decent result with it - in training or in competition.

Smallbore free pistol types are the people with the truly hair trigger - 30g or so AIUI. The one time I tried it, I still couldn't hold the black while releasing the trigger (fair dos, it's less than a foot across at 50m).

Personally I detest overly-light triggers and just can't get on with them. It's a mental thing, mostly.

ugly

LE
Personally I detest overly-light triggers and just can't get on with them. It's a mental thing, mostly.
I get that. Used each of my CZ single set triggers once, that was enough!

ugly

LE
When I would start a stalking client with no shooting experience I would let them see the difference between set and normal, on the range obviously and let them make up their own mind over trigger weights. I would tell them that setting a trigger is the last thing before pulling and often the bit between safety off and fire.
There was no way I would allow a client to have a trigger set on a walk around the woods. If they had set the trigger and not taken the shot then an unload and start again was on the cards!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Edwardian Fred The NAAFI Bar 110
MoD_RSS MoD News 2
MoD_RSS MoD News 0

Latest Threads