hair cuts in the army ?

It was frowned upon when I went through training, grade 2 on sides, 3 or 4 on top being more acceptable. Don't know whether it's still the case though as that was 20 odd years ago.

I have been told that orrificers must be longer than a grade 2 on the sides and "a bit longer" on top.. not exactly sure what that meant though..

It was a matter of interpreting Queens Regs. Not a specific measurement if I recall correctly but the No 1 was frowned upon due to the association with ‘skin-heads’ and trouble.

right-grumpy said:
It was a matter of interpreting Queens Regs. Not a specific measurement if I recall correctly but the No 1 was frowned upon due to the association with ‘skin-heads’ and trouble.
"skin heads and trouble" - code for squaddies perchance? 8O

With Herr Cutts stood behind you, as he was there between 1939 and 45 cutting the last lot of soldiers hair!

Wear large ballon beret, you get to keep more of your hair . . . . :wink:

Was a grade 3 all over when I went through ATFC. Anyone caught getting their hair cut any shorter was taken round to "C****r's Corner"* and not seen for an hour or so.

*Anyone who went through ATFC in 82 RE Sqn whislt C*****r and Wolfy were there will know of this mystical place where one was able to breathe through ones own arse after leaving.

EDITED by myself: to remove waffling about times gone by

Let it grow. I have mine cut every 5 - 6 weeks, whether it needs it or not :twisted: 6-8mm no shorter on back and sides, and a trim and thin on top.

Anything shorter is just lazy or vain. As you can obviously not be bothered to look after it, or you´re a baldy. On tour I go to a bone dome.

QRs are very vague on the matter, I should be allowed to have my hair in a bun if I so wish.

northern_monkey733 said:
I havnt really thought about this before now, I shave my head every week, will this not be allowed in training?
If you are pretty much a baldy, apart from some fluff round the sides, it's generally accepted that you can be down to the bone.

dingerr said:
northern_monkey733 said:
I havnt really thought about this before now, I shave my head every week, will this not be allowed in training?
If you are pretty much a baldy, apart from some fluff round the sides, it's generally accepted that you can be down to the bone.
I can grow hair, i just shave it, with clippers on open blade have done since school.

I was just curious I know its not a big deal. Pretty sure I'l have more to think about than my hair at training :D

chocolate_frog said:
QRs are very vague on the matter, I should be allowed to have my hair in a bun if I so wish.
Oh yes indeed! At the introduction to QR's there is the advice that 'the officer interpreting these Regulations shall do so to the best of their ability'

So any particular personal prejudice is OK if you are a daft one.

As for advice on the thatch it is words to the effect of ' The hair of the head is to be neat and tidy'

Take it from there.

rp_uk_08 said:
my hair is curly so i cant have shorter on the sides then top because it will look stupid
Oh right! well just politley inform your DS, make sure you tell them its against your human rights to be made to look stupid.

Your hair will be cut exactly how your Platoon Sergeant wants it cut, shit bust. However outside phase 1 you can have it as short as you like.

I have hi-lights in my hair, never frowned upon though I get ripped to shreds at

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vampireuk The NAAFI Bar 277
BarcelonaAnalPark The NAAFI Bar 161
C The NAAFI Bar 42