Hair clippers

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by msr, Dec 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

I realise that asking about hair dressing in such a bastion of hetero tiger manliness may not result in the answer I am looking for, but can anyone recommend a set of clippers?

They seem to be about £30, which would mean the payback would be well under a year.

2. Argos. Wahl. The set with all the bits - colour coded.

There's a thread somewhere about this.

Not that I'd ever suggest that somebody uses the search function ('cos it don't work for me, either) :)
  3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Apparantly I am getting some for Chrimbo. The advise the Kitchen Gestapo received was not to get anything to cheap.
  4. I'd agree with Putees. I had a set of Wahls when I used to shave my own head. Not the cheapest, but worth spending a bit extra. I had a crap set of clippers once, and you certainly get what you pay for. The cheaper sets break easily (the attachments), and don't cut as well.
  5. The set I'm on about doesn't just have combs for different hair lengths, but also tapered combs for round your ears, an eyebrow comb(!), a nostril(?) comb and a pube comb. (At least I think it is, but I'm not entirely sure. That's what the wife uses it for and she seems quite happy).

The pube comb is, in fact, just a protective cover. No wonder the wife takes ages.
  7. msr

msr LE

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

10. Puttees' Amazon link from the other thread is good, but I raise you This one. Has the battery trimmer and nose hair trimmer as well.

Avoid rechargeable ones unless you want to use it in the field, the batteries don't like the charge / recharge cycle too much and tend not to last long.
  11. Never mind using the search function.... :roll:
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I got a set of Babyliss ones from Morrisons for £15 with all the bits a while back - spot on.
  13. Well I had a set, once....they lasted about ten minutes before they started to smell all burny and I had to chuck them. I wasn't very good with them really, as they'd "broke" and I wasn't finished. I had to stay indoors for the rest of the day, looking like an alopecia victim or that baldy man off the cigar adverts. So unless you know what you're doing with these things, be warned.

Attached Files:

14. I got a set from SSVC in BFG.

€20 6 years ago and still going strong.

Made by a company called Princess :? :oops:
  15. No, you just need to stay within your limits.

From when she was 8 years old, my daughter used to trim me with a No.4. But Mrs Puttees did the neck and ears. And Puttees would redo near the front of the ears.

'course, they were Wahl, not Remington (the comb kept falling off them!), so you could trust anybody (except, perhaps, your mates!) to give you a basic haircut.