Haglof Trousers The Best ?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by CptDanjou, Sep 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I`m looking to buy some breathable / waterproof walking trousers (not over trousers) for the UK winter months , for shooting / hill walking and the likes ,

Haglofs look the business , are they worth the big money ? or do you know of better alternatives ?

Haglofs - Response Pant

2. You might want to check out Paramo. I have just got a pair of Parajo Trousers (seconds for £75); not tried them yet, but the local guys who work the grouse moor near me swear by the stuff.

3. Oh - and I have a Paramo Cambia top, which I have used and is the mutts nuts.

4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

You don't think you're over researching your bimble about the countryside a bit? Just buy two pairs of lightweights or a couple of pairs of those German moleskin strides head off.

5. Not over researching as I spend upto 8 hours a day in shitty weather ,sitting / lying down when stalking so moleskins would just act like a sponge.

6. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

7. Had a pair of those just for dog walking duty. Absolute garbage and certainly wouldn't be suitable for anything involving being outside for than about 45 mins.

8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Why do I think you're a liar by some strange coincidence.

9. Nah, you pay for what you get, I use a pair of Mountain Equipment Karakorams for proper mountains and they're fantastic but expensive.

Anything that costs £8.95 and claims to be waterproof and breathable is going to be garbage. And from personal experience walking collies on beaches they are. Not remotely breathable and barely waterproof.

10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Oh please you don't have to spend £153 on a pair of trousers to be able to do a bit of wandering about in the great outdoors on the weekend in case it rains.

11. Paramo is the dog's danglies, but it will leak under enough pressure, i.e. sitting or kneeling on soggy stuff.

Their Alta trousers have inserts (karrimat style foam) to try 'n combat this, I took it out of mine as it gave me a sweaty crack, but I use them for winter mountaineering, so might be more active than you. They have full length zips 'n a drop seat for venting & mooning passers by.

12. Ive put up with using cheap shite and being soaked for years but as age catches up and joints get stiffer I decided to see how other arrsers rate different kit as I dont want to waste over a £150 on something that's no better than a £40 pair , as for how I look I dont give a fcuk so long as what ever I`m shooting at does not spot me at 3 mile unless of course I`m on a days driven pheasant as looking like a pikey poacher is just not the done thing.

13. Rab's eVent fabric has a good rep, I know some professional outdoor types that use it.

14. I shopped around last year for some and got Craghoppers for £45, can't remember where though.

EDIT

that's not exactly helpful is it - it's been a long day

15. Dear Danjou (hows the hand btw)

Human Skin is waterproof and breathable.

yours

The Naked Rambler and Ed Gein