Haemostatic Products

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by lab_bird, May 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am an MSc student doing a dissertation on the use of fluids, blood/blood products and haemostatic products by the armed forces in a Field Hospital. I am also looking at what current protocols and treatments used in the NHS were born out of experience and information learned from the armed forces under battlefield conditions in the past, and what, if any will be used in the future.
    If anyone has any information that would be of help, or knows where I could acquire information of any new treatments being used, I would be very grateful.
  2. talk to the BATLS/BARTS team at RCDM Birmingham (selly oak hospital) as they teach the new haemostatic techniques pre deployment to all medical units

such as

new field dressing
    new battlefield tourniquet
  3. Sorry BP20, thats now in Gosport, part of DMSTC
  4. Journo alert - all of this is available on line?????????????
  5. And your point is?
  6. Apart from the fact that you are not bright enough to realise the point - have you any idea how out of date you information is?? Further, what would anyone want with information on new techniques in the military??

Think about it muppet!!!
  7. Good point, but Lab-bird's not a journalist.

8. 1. Info on clotting agents such as quikclot is freely available on the web, as are reports on its uses - especially by our american cousins.

2. as 'we' the military trial these products, the information is of great significance to our civilian colleagues in the NHS and Ambulance trusts - the RAMC Journal is not a restricted document and many wonderful articles are written on the subjects of new haemostatic techniques. i.e publicly accessible.

3. As a USO - im aware of 'issues' in public domain, though I do get a little annoyed at times. So I forgot the BATLS team moved to Gospport - so what. So, how dangerous is it going to be that this information is in the public domain - oh sh1t! it already is, now whos the muppet

4. With all due respect to your rank and position(if you have either) - get a life
  9. Attend the AMBEX conference ADMEM will be giving lecture on Haemostatics within the armd forces. ADMEM through R+D and database evidence drive all the changes to the Rx of military casualties. The info learnt then is passed on to the rest of the armd forces through BCD, Team Medics Cse and BATLS all these have changed recently.

To answer part of the original question...In my experience controlled hypotension ie maintaining a radial pulse to maintain cerebral perfusion and allow clots to form is a skill that was used by the medics at Hereford a couple of years before NHS Ambulance Trusts started using it. This might be a good example of a lesson learnt by the mil and passed onto the NHS.
  10. Bedpan2zero - You are a USO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dear, god help us.................

Top_Soldier OUT
  11. What's a USO? That's a TLA I've not yet come across.
  12. Thanks guys for all your help - some of it being more helpful than others!!
  13. need to add... many lessons came back from the Falkland war ref fluid adminstration. Many casualties had no IV access so no fluids where given and yet many survived. This was a fantastic example of the body bleeding out so much >BP clots form, casaulty survives. Prof Jim Ryan @ UCL is the subject expert. Hope that helps...
  14. Or better still, spk to your TM/RSM???????????

Still think the TA is a farce??????????
  15. Is your question/exclamation mark button stuck? :roll: