Had enough and looking to change units in west midlands

#1
I'm currently looking to change units for many reasons, I enjoy being the TA and although the thought of laying a large turd in the middle of the drill hall, with my mod 90 protruding at a jaunty angle after handing my kit in appeals to me! I can't see it being the best move!

So to the more civilised option transfering, i'm looking for a unit in the area which actually mobilises people instead of promising the world and delivering sweet FA. :frustrated: Also somewhere that has that little known phenomenon of retention.

Any answers apart from the standard "its what you make of it....." welcome and appreciated.
 
#3
What reasons you looking to transfer?
 
#4
Wench3000 said:
What reasons you looking to transfer?
Current unit has crap UK ops role.

Current unit will not mobilise people due to shortage of bods (see below)

Retention is shite with very few trained soldiers on parade nights(think <5)

No working rank structure, a few L/cpls, no cpls, few seniors, and psi's that are excellent but seem to be pulling there hair out with the place.

[edited for mong spelling]
 
#5
sticky said:
Retention is shite with very few trained soldiers on parade nights(think <5)
Transfer to 35 Sigs Regt, probably wouldn't need to retrade, they take rifles and cam on exercise with them but your probably younger than all the comms kit they have.

Although I suspect that your really after joining arty, inf or armd
 
#6
Sticky - have dropped you a PM.
 
#7
What polar rifles and cam???? on exercise???

Not really bothered about the "warriness" of the unit as long as its well managed and looks after its guys. Decent mobilistaion opportunities is also a must.

Polar check your pm's
 
#8
sticky said:
What polar rifles and cam???? on exercise???

Not really bothered about the "warriness" of the unit as long as its well managed and looks after its guys. Decent mobilistaion opportunities is also a must.

Polar check your pm's
29 MI Coy is for you then!

They're in Stourbridge.
 
#9
Wench3000 said:
sticky said:
What polar rifles and cam???? on exercise???

Not really bothered about the "warriness" of the unit as long as its well managed and looks after its guys. Decent mobilistaion opportunities is also a must.

Polar check your pm's
29 MI Coy is for you then!

They're in Stourbridge.
The West Midlands is a large area and there are a number of opportunities available depending on what you want to do.

Infantry in Kidderminster
Engineers in Oldbury
RAC in Dudley
Sigs & MI in Stourbridge

I've got contacts in most of the local units so if you want me to point you in the right direction then PM me. Wouldn't you consider Support Troop though Sticky? Seems to be a number of people moving there who are disillusioned with the other units in the regiment.
 
#10
You may like to try A Squadron RMLY in Dudley. It provides gunners and loaders into Challenger 2 and there are plenty of opportunities for mobilisation or attachments to their affiliated regular regiments. 01384 230166.
 
#11
210 bty in Wolverhampton, are equipped with Rapier FSC, we spent half our training year doing gunner stuff and the other part taking part in infantry exercises ie Gibraltar (marble tor) and Cyprus (lion star), therefore you get the best of both worlds. Gunners also get paid more than infantry.
If you like sports in particular football, you will be pleased to know that we have a good football team we have been the divisional champions for 5 div for the past 2 years. We also take part in cross country championships and we do a lot for charity. Last year we raised well over a thousand pounds for compton hospice and leukemia charities, by taking part in a dragon boat race and various fun runs etc.
We also do a lot of adventure training, if you would like to know more pm me or drop down to our TA center in Fallings Park, Wolverhampton.
 
#13
Cheers for all the input, i've got two units that im definately interested in and a few others which are worth looking into. Any further suggestions are welcome as i want to make sure i look before i leap.

BTW i've been well and truly ID'd (using a nickname which all of the Regiment know me by wasn't that good an idea) but stick by what i've said, and have actually left some of the more negative details out.
 
#14
:cyclopsani: Hey sticky liking your choice of words throughout this whole conversation, your not normally this polite.

As you know I do agree with alot of what you have said, at least we have been mobilised now. I do have to put alot of thought into if I go back to our unit or if I should transfer to another TA unit.

There are alot of nice ppl at our sqn who really want the place to move forward but without the progression of the LCPL's and CPLs and so on then things arent going to change. The command structure or loack of is a problem at the minute but I feel that once you become traded you are left to sort your own courses out etc ABSOLOUTELY NO DEVELOPMENT! ARGHHH!
 
#15
LilPWx1986 said:
:cyclopsani: Hey sticky liking your choice of words throughout this whole conversation, your not normally this polite.

As you know I do agree with alot of what you have said, at least we have been mobilised now. I do have to put alot of thought into if I go back to our unit or if I should transfer to another TA unit.
Me impolite?? never!? Just because sometimes i give things a little unvarnished which isn't always to everyones liking. The question of what to do post mobilisation for me, has been already answered: Move on, the idiom of rats leaving a sinking ship springs to mind.

The point about development is a good one however there are other issues aside from that, which just screams bad man management. Then couple this with the current sticking plaster approach of recruiting any muppet (sorry no nice way of putting it) to boost the numbers on the books, to keep regiment happy, makes the situation even worse.
 
#16
Its good to see that both you and PW got what you were after and are off in the very near future.

Hats off to both of you for actually volunteering to go away when a lot of the people you are leaving behind only treat the squadron as a social club where they can get cheap drinks and run at the first indication that they will have to do any work.

Good luck on the tour and come back safely.

Party when you get back!!!
 
#17
Escaped_from_Coventry said:
Its good to see that both you and PW got what you were after and are off in the very near future.

Hats off to both of you for actually volunteering to go away when a lot of the people you are leaving behind only treat the squadron as a social club where they can get cheap drinks and run at the first indication that they will have to do any work.

Good luck on the tour and come back safely.

Party when you get back!!!
Cheers donkey!!! me and PeeDubs are posting this from the computers at Chillwell! Gleaming!!! Anyway fcuk em' all!! the "old" Squadron which actually gave a fcuk is dead mate! Shame you got the high jump for actually doing your job!
 
#18
Hi thanks for your input, im guessing your the one whos hung like a donkey!

Well I totally agree with what you have said, but that place will never change. It is very frustrating, you get promised all these courses but get fcuk all.

I used to love the place but since I came back from Bos my feelings have changed dramitically! I wish things were different and I dont want to turn my back on the place I would like to feel the enthusiam i used to so I could help things improve in anyway I can but I think things have gone too far.

Were at RTMC now and were mad for it.

All the best
 
#19
sticky said:
Current unit has crap UK ops role.

Current unit will not mobilise people due to shortage of bods (see below)

Retention is shite with very few trained soldiers on parade nights(think <5)

No working rank structure, a few L/cpls, no cpls, few seniors, and psi's that are excellent but seem to be pulling there hair out with the place.
Less than five people on a drill night? Bloody Hell, I thought my unit was bad.

How many should there be? I hope that's not supposed to be a company.

T_T
 
#20
sticky said:
Shame you got the high jump for actually doing your job!
Even if rumours of you having a horse like cock proved unfounded!!!
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads