Hackle

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Milady, Mar 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was in Windsor today, watching the changing of the Guard and noticed the hackle on the Royal Fusiliers as they marched past. I've been told the history behind the red hackle of the Coldstream Guards and wondered what is the history behind the red and white hackle of the Royal Fusiliers. Could someone enlighten me please?

Thank you in advance :)

P.S. The band was playing British Grenadier on the dismount and the guard dismounting were members of the Scots Guard... would like to know what the Scots Guards might have been thinking when they heard this when they marched.

2. http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/5452.aspx

3. Brilliant! Thank you very much :) Mystery solved

4. They would be thinking that they should have gone Grenadier instead of poxy jocks.

Sorry John. ;)

5. They would be thinking "Bet the Gobblers wished they were in best Regiment of Footguards"

:twisted:

Gren never apologise it is a sign of weakness..... Oh you are a gobbler so you have to say sorry a lot :lol:

6. That's cos he's a "grenadier" and that's french for soixante neuf ! :D

7. They might have, thought "Ah!, British Grenadiers, that's the regimental quick march of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers; " :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. [NOWAH]

"This tune would be very innapropriate for the Micks?"

"Lets get to the Pub"

[/NOWAH]

9. "I was in Windsor today, watching the changing of the Guard and noticed the hackle on the Royal Fusiliers as they marched past. I've been told the history behind the red hackle of the Coldstream Guards and wondered what is the history behind the red and white hackle of the Royal Fusiliers. "

The Hackle was indeed adopted from The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers when the Fusilier regiments amalgamated in 1967 when the Royal Fusiliers ceased to exist and the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers came into being.

10. Fixed.

11. Damn so it wasn't dipped in the blood of dead Frenchmen after all!!

A true but rather less prosaic origin of the RRF Hackle :D

12. Pendantic. Criticism accepted.

13. 'Course they were, where do you think the original idea came from? Anyway what other use are dead frogs? :D

14. They were thinking "that's a nice tune about ordinary infantry grenadier companies, of which every battalion had one. Good job it's not about the Grenadier Guards". :wink:

15. They might also have been thinking "Ah - the Regimental march of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers".
    ===
    P.S. Royal Fusiliers name disappeared from the Order of Battle 42 years ago. Do keep up :wink: