• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Hackle

I was in Windsor today, watching the changing of the Guard and noticed the hackle on the Royal Fusiliers as they marched past. I've been told the history behind the red hackle of the Coldstream Guards and wondered what is the history behind the red and white hackle of the Royal Fusiliers. Could someone enlighten me please?

Thank you in advance :)

P.S. The band was playing British Grenadier on the dismount and the guard dismounting were members of the Scots Guard... would like to know what the Scots Guards might have been thinking when they heard this when they marched.

http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/5452.aspx

The distinctive red and white Hackle, worn by all ranks in the Regiment, was handed down from the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. The Hackle was awarded in recognition for the defeat of the French at the Battle of St Lucia in 1778. The white hackles were removed from the French dead by the Fusiliers. In 1829 King William IV ordered the white plume to be worn by all line infantry regiments, and in order not to take away from the Fifth (Northumberland) Regiment of Foot's battle honour, their plume was distinguished with a red tip making the plume red over white.

sunami said:
http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/5452.aspx

The distinctive red and white Hackle, worn by all ranks in the Regiment, was handed down from the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. The Hackle was awarded in recognition for the defeat of the French at the Battle of St Lucia in 1778. The white hackles were removed from the French dead by the Fusiliers. In 1829 King William IV ordered the white plume to be worn by all line infantry regiments, and in order not to take away from the Fifth (Northumberland) Regiment of Foot's battle honour, their plume was distinguished with a red tip making the plume red over white.
Brilliant! Thank you very much :) Mystery solved

Milady said:
I was in Windsor today, watching the changing of the Guard and noticed the hackle on the Royal Fusiliers as they marched past. I've been told the history behind the red hackle of the Coldstream Guards and wondered what is the history behind the red and white hackle of the Royal Fusiliers. Could someone enlighten me please?

P.S. The band was playing British Grenadier on the dismount and the guard dismounting were members of the Scots Guard... would like to know what the Scots Guards might have been thinking when they heard this when they marched.

They would be thinking that they should have gone Grenadier instead of poxy jocks.

Sorry John. ;)

Gren said:
Milady said:

They would be thinking that they should have gone Grenadier instead of poxy jocks.

Sorry John. ;)
They would be thinking "Bet the Gobblers wished they were in best Regiment of Footguards"

:twisted:

Gren never apologise it is a sign of weakness..... Oh you are a gobbler so you have to say sorry a lot :lol:

johnboyzzz said:
Gren said:
Milady said:

Sorry John. ;)
They would be thinking "Bet the Gobblers wished they were in best Regiment of Footguards"

:twisted:

Gren never apologise it is a sign of weakness..... Oh you are a gobbler so you have to say sorry a lot :lol:

That's cos he's a "grenadier" and that's french for soixante neuf ! :D

Milady said:
They might have, thought "Ah!, British Grenadiers, that's the regimental quick march of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers; " :)

Milady said:
[NOWAH]

"This tune would be very innapropriate for the Micks?"

"Lets get to the Pub"

[/NOWAH]

"I was in Windsor today, watching the changing of the Guard and noticed the hackle on the Royal Fusiliers as they marched past. I've been told the history behind the red hackle of the Coldstream Guards and wondered what is the history behind the red and white hackle of the Royal Fusiliers. "

The Hackle was indeed adopted from The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers when the Fusilier regiments amalgamated in 1967 when the Royal Fusiliers ceased to exist and the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers came into being.

Dwarf said:
The Hackle was indeed adopted from The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers when the English Fusilier regiments amalgamated in 1968 when the Royal Fusiliers ceased to exist and the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers came into being.
Fixed.

Cpl_Clot said:
Dwarf said:
The Hackle was indeed adopted from The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers when the English Fusilier regiments amalgamated in 1968 when the Royal Fusiliers ceased to exist and the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers came into being.
Fixed.
Pendantic. Criticism accepted.

zippy483 said:
Damn so it wasn't dipped in the blood of dead Frenchmen after all!!

A true but rather less prosaic origin of the RRF Hackle :D
'Course they were, where do you think the original idea came from? Anyway what other use are dead frogs? :D

Milady said:

They were thinking "that's a nice tune about ordinary infantry grenadier companies, of which every battalion had one. Good job it's not about the Grenadier Guards". :wink:

Bubbles_Barker said:
Milady said:
I was in Windsor today, watching the changing of the Guard and noticed the hackle on the Royal Fusiliers as they marched past. I've been told the history behind the red hackle of the Coldstream Guards and wondered what is the history behind the red and white hackle of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. Could someone enlighten me please?

They were thinking "that's a nice tune about ordinary infantry grenadier companies, of which every battalion had one. Good job it's not about the Grenadier Guards". :wink:
They might also have been thinking "Ah - the Regimental march of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers".
===
P.S. Royal Fusiliers name disappeared from the Order of Battle 42 years ago. Do keep up :wink:

I bet the fusiliers looked smarter than any foot guard's.

Englands finest regiment, No non sense do the job with pride and passion.

Dwarf said:
zippy483 said:
Damn so it wasn't dipped in the blood of dead Frenchmen after all!!

A true but rather less prosaic origin of the RRF Hackle :D
'Course they were, where do you think the original idea came from? Anyway what other use are dead frogs? :D

As experiments for biology students perhaps? :D

For interest purposes only, not all wearers of the plume/Hackle were fusiliers. The following list is correct but may not be exhaustive:

White Hackle...Royal Fusiliers, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Royal Welch Fusiliers and Royal Highland Fusiliers.

Red (upper) & White...Royal Northumberland Fusiliers and Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

Blue (upper) and Orange...Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers.

Primrose...Lancashire Fusiliers.

Black...Cameronians, Royal Ulster Rifles and No9 Commando.

Grey...Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Red...Black Watch, Tyneside Scottish.

White (upper) & Red...1st Btn Highland LI (48-59), 2nd Btn Highland LI (until 48).

Green...1st Btn Highland LI (44-48), Royal Irish Fusiliers and London Irish Rifles.

Blue...Cameron Highlanders, Queens Own Highlanders and Liverpool Scottish.

Blue (upper) & Red...Liverpool Irish.

Red, Brown and Green (equally spaced L-R)...Royal Tank Regiment.

I remember seeing some old photos of The Seaforth Highlanders in India very early 1900s - they were wearing white hackles in the pagri of their pith helmets.

Latest Threads