Hacked Off

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mushroom, Jan 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watching the ITN news and they have very briefly mentioned the two young men killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, mentioned them long enough to show a photo and give their names. There was then a long report on PC Sharon Brez (sorry can't spell her name) and how her best friend is going to miss her 40th Birthday and an even longer report on how David Beckham and his wife are going to cope with being celebs in LA.

I am seriously hacked off. No offence to the copper and her family, but is her fortieth birthday which she sadly won't see a reason for all that airtime on the same day two twenty one year olds won't see twenty two and does anyone give a flying fig about whether or not some footballer past his sell by date and his dangerously thin bint cope with the spams making a big fuss of them?

Are ITN going the same way as the BBC?

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

And they have given more air time to two (ex-)scrots who earned thier place in the Darwin awards by endangering the lives of underground passengers in Barking.

3. I absolutly agree mate, if you watch the news then it goes like this:

'2 British Soldiers were killed in Iraq today during patrols'
    'David Beckham has a new budgie contravertillay called Sven, over to Fred Hickcock who is at the Beckhams mansion in LA'

It deeply saddens me that people care more about some celebraty having a sh1t then our soldiers dieing.

4. TV news is not interested in us scum bag low life bill oddies, Becks and the chuckle brothers being malleted in the underground is much more important.

5. Also people dont want to hear bad news about an unpopular war! So is pressure being appiled from above to keep these stories short?

6. The problem is that the British general public do not interpet these stories/events in the same way as a serviceman would. The priorities are all different - I suppose the bottom line is that it is old news.

How many times have you been watching the news and a story has come up about the Gaza Strip or Chechyna - and instead of listening to it you simply turn over - maybe you personally haven't - I personally have.

Soldiers die all the time, big deal, obviously not my view - but I can understand why the media will give 15 seconds coverage to it so they can spend more airtime on Victoria Beckham's potential shopping plans.

7. ITN went downmarket a long time ago sadly.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

If you think that is bad the BBC have just reported the incident
    and managed to show two pictures of the Royal, claiming the one of them
    was the Kingsman!!!!!!!!!! FFS

Crap image editing as usual from Aunty.

9. I realise that the point of this thread is so that everyone can join in and agree what a bunch of cnuts the press all are.

However…

No matter how much of an emotional and personal interest you (and most of us here) probably have in this or similar matters, you have got to accept that “2 dead in a war zone” is not news. Desperately sad, tragic for everyone involved and impossibly hard to bear; but utterly predictable. It does not warrant more than an acknowledgement that this dreadful thing has happened, 2 young lives have been cut short, a quick tip of the hat to the dedication, professionalism and bravery that put these 2 young men in the firing line and then that’s it.

What more do you want? The WISREP? They died; it’s terrible; neither you, nor the rest of the viewing public, have any right or reason to hear any more details. In fact, the more the press dwell on it, the more a single dead British soldier becomes a strategic objective. PIRA pretty much gave up trying to kill British soldiers because a) it was bloody risky and, b) no-one appeared to give a fcuk.

2 cnuts squashed by a train while trying to vandalise it? Now, that's news! Look how much fun we’ve had chuckling about that. The despicable murder of PC Sharon Beshenivsky? It’s out of the ordinary, it’s close to home and it happened largely because the Home Office is less well run than Animal Farm (Orwell’s, not the German “art house” movie…). It's important that a fuss is made about it. 2 dead soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan? Well. It’s not like we weren’t expecting it.

The press aren’t all cnuts. And it isn’t right to give top billing to every dead British soldier. I haven’t seen the report you speak of specifically, and it may have been particularly shite, but I just feel moved to try and put another view. I could be wrong.

By the way, I’m sure many police officers would feel that the dismissal of PC Beshenivsky as someone whose name you can’t even be arsed to Google doesn’t quite set the right tone for complaining about how carelessly casualties are reported by the press. Just a thought.

10. Gremlin

I actually agree with Paoli on this.

The item was either first or second item on both BBC and ITV as it rightly
    should have been. However going into more depth than naming and paying respects is IHMO unnecessary.

It was the shoddy editing on the Beeb that really annoyed me.

11. Kingsman Alex Green - pictured as a Marine Cadet before he joined The Duke of Lancaster's RegtKingsman Alex Green, aged 21.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/KingsmanAlexanderWilliamGreenKilledInIraq.htm
    My bold btw
    Must agree ITV are pants BBC aint far behind 'em either.

12. Gremlin

Thanks for that Catch, my error then!

13. It's not so much the forces coverage they give (although it does p1ss me off) but more the useless drivvel about Phoney Big Brother celebraties and the way they pee etc

14. No Paoli - the point wasn't that everyone could join in and slag off the press, the point was that ITN, who I thought were better than the BBC, chose to run two stories of little significance and give them a good deal of airtime whilst almost casually mentioning two young men who had paid the greatest price. It is a point about priorities.

Beckham is a non story. a policewomen being murdered on duty is a full story as should be the trial of her murderers. I can't for the life of me see the relevance of an interview with her best friend saying how much she regrets her not being around for her birthday is worth a couple of minutes on primetime news.

15. I had to look twice myself mate!
    Have served with the Kingos too although its never nice which Regt it is.