Hack seeks squaddie

Some of you know me and my work, some don't. My name is Audrey Gillan and I work on the Guardian.
As you can imagine, my newspaper would like serving soldiers' perspectives on Blair's announcement about possible troop withdrawal. I don't want to just quote opinions from arrse, something that seems to be being done rather regularly in the papers these days – yes, I've done it before too.
If any serving soldier has the time to discuss, on an unattributable basis, their feelings on the potential withdrawal, it would be great to hear from you by PM.
Thanks again for your time.
If you need to know more about me, I think PTP might vouch for me. Or Goatman, Hackle, ABrighter2006, Mr Happy and others.
Cheers

Stick a few quid in the RBL or other worthy cause and we might think about it. You haven't even made a contribution on this site yet.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Bravo2nothing said:
Stick a few quid in the RBL or other worthy cause and we might think about it. You haven't even made a contribution on this site yet.
Not strictly true. Ms McGinty has two pages of posts on this site. In addition Ms McGinty does take an objective stance in her writings about HM Forces. (Unlike her colleague Keira Whatsername)

Edited out as I did not realise which part of the forum this was...

Mr_Fingerz said:
Bravo2nothing said:
Not strictly true. Ms McGinty has two pages of posts on this site. In addition Ms McGinty does take an objective stance in her writings about HM Forces. (Unlike her colleague Keira Whatsername)
I was talking about a financial contribution. What ever her written posts, she has clearly made it known that she wishes to publish comments from here, I don't believe it unreasonable for her to make a contribution to this site, if it helps her rag move a few more copies.

No such thing as a free lunch (unless you're called Blair - Tony, Ian or the wide mouthed frog). Stick it down as an expense.

Bravo2nothing said:
Mr_Fingerz said:
Bravo2nothing said:
I was talking about a financial contribution. What ever her written posts, she has clearly made it known that she wishes to publish comments from here, I don't believe it unreasonable for her to make a contribution to this site, if it helps her rag move a few more copies.

No such thing as a free lunch (unless you're called Blair - Tony, Ian or the wide mouthed frog). Stick down as an expense.
Although she is a Scot and therefore I'm sure, much like myself, a right tight git, Bravo2nothing has a point, Audrey.

Come on, dip in - I'm sure your card will take the contribution required for a ADC! :thumright:

mintymcginty said:
If you need to know more about me, I think PTP might vouch for me. Or Goatman, Hackle, ABrighter2006, Mr Happy and others.
Serving soldiers should all know the rules and regs about talking to jounos! :thumbdown:

And are these more jouno friends?

eSeL said:
Whiskybreath said:
Guardian writer - institutionally hostile. Touch only with bargepole.
Read her reports from when she was imbedded with the Household Cavalry during Telic 1. You may change your opinion.
Maybe so, but she is still a journo. You never know in what context your opinion or view may be presented. Obviously looking for and easy way to write a story without getting off her arrse!

Journalist wants quote to sell papers. Papers make money. Papers have not made any contributions to forces charities.

I say no quotes without charitable funds.

Clever journalist says: oh but you get to tell your side of the story. I say getifayaweebassa.

Serving soldiers are not to engage with journalists unless cleared first through their unit press officer. Let's be clear about this - journalists are after sensational comments to sell their papers and are not in any way bothered about the actual feelings of the blokes at the sharp end. Do not get yourselves suckered into this request.

Good point Barclays. That's incitement to break QR's. Somebody phone the Scotsman and bubble her.

I really don't understand the hostility toward Audrey here. If you read her articles you will find that, despite them in the Grauniad, her writing is balanced and interesting. She has spent time with soldiers on ops, and I think it's safe to say that she gained their respect. I don't think anyone could accuse her of being anti-military.

It is easy to imagine that all journalists are like the creatures of the tabloid press (e.g. Piers Moron or Tom Newton-Dung), for whom salacious stories need not be spoilt by the facts, but I suggest that Audrey Gillan is not one of these.

She has made a polite request for the views of service personnel. Anyone who sees this positively - as an opportunity for the voice of grass roots military personnel to be heard - can contact her if they wish. Anyone who thinks it's a bad idea can do nothing - it's a simple enough choice. The invective displayed here is unnecessary and disappointing to see.

The subject of journalists making donations to service charities has been discussed before. What's written on ARRSE is in the public domain, so can be quoted freely. The positive publicity that can result from articles in the press that highlight issues is worth much more than a small donation.

ViroBono said:
I really don't understand the hostility toward Audrey here. If you read her articles you will find that, despite them in the Grauniad, her writing is balanced and interesting. She has spent time with soldiers on ops, and I think it's safe to say that she gained their respect. I don't think anyone could accuse her of being anti-military.

It is easy to imagine that all journalists are like the creatures of the tabloid press (e.g. Piers Moron or Tom Newton-Dung), for whom salacious stories need not be spoilt by the facts, but I suggest that Audrey Gillan is not one of these.

She has made a polite request for the views of service personnel. Anyone who sees this positively - as an opportunity for the voice of grass roots military personnel to be heard - can contact her if they wish. Anyone who thinks it's a bad idea can do nothing - it's a simple enough choice. The invective displayed here is unnecessary and disappointing to see.

The subject of journalists making donations to service charities has been discussed before. What's written on ARRSE is in the public domain, so can be quoted freely. The positive publicity that can result from articles in the press that highlight issues is worth much more than a small donation.
Positive/negative my arrse. The army will still be here no matter what tripe she writes. Let her get her quotes from the press office.

Firstly, I will happily make a donation from my own purse.
Secondly, I have made contributions in other ways, such as speaking at the last Army Benevolent Fund dinner and other fundraisers.
Thirdly, I'd love to be able to get off my ARRSE and get serving soldiers on the record but since they are not allowed to talk to me, off the record, via arrse is a helpful method. If the administrators come back to me with an objection and tell me not to ask for help here, I won't.
For those who have pitched in in support of me, many thanks. For those who say they wouldn't urinate on me if I was on fire, thanks for that too. There's another phrase with the word piss that springs to mind. And to those who are currently PMing me, thank you so much.
And in reply to barclaysbanker, if you would read my stuff, you would see how wrong you were. To make a point, a recent piece in the Guardian by Bill Stewardson about the death of his son in Iraq, lauded in this forum for how moving and powerful it was, was actually written by me.
I will leave further communications on this matter to PMs.
Thanks

Unless virobono is actually the Chief of the Defence Staff giving his permission for the troops to engage with the media is entirely irrelevant. Everyone should be very careful should they consider giving quotes to this journalist, even if she is considered one of the fair few, since it is not in line with military law. Don't do it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Forces_Sweetheart The Intelligence Cell 6
Good CO ARRSE: Site Issues 0
O The Intelligence Cell 7