Hack seeks squaddie

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mintymcginty, Feb 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some of you know me and my work, some don't. My name is Audrey Gillan and I work on the Guardian.
    As you can imagine, my newspaper would like serving soldiers' perspectives on Blair's announcement about possible troop withdrawal. I don't want to just quote opinions from arrse, something that seems to be being done rather regularly in the papers these days – yes, I've done it before too.
    If any serving soldier has the time to discuss, on an unattributable basis, their feelings on the potential withdrawal, it would be great to hear from you by PM.
    Thanks again for your time.
    If you need to know more about me, I think PTP might vouch for me. Or Goatman, Hackle, ABrighter2006, Mr Happy and others.
  2. Stick a few quid in the RBL or other worthy cause and we might think about it. You haven't even made a contribution on this site yet.
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Not strictly true. Ms McGinty has two pages of posts on this site. In addition Ms McGinty does take an objective stance in her writings about HM Forces. (Unlike her colleague Keira Whatsername)
  4. Edited out as I did not realise which part of the forum this was...
  5. a few hundred quid more like it - to Combat Stress/RBL/ABF et al.
  6. I was talking about a financial contribution. What ever her written posts, she has clearly made it known that she wishes to publish comments from here, I don't believe it unreasonable for her to make a contribution to this site, if it helps her rag move a few more copies.

No such thing as a free lunch (unless you're called Blair - Tony, Ian or the wide mouthed frog). Stick it down as an expense.
  7. Guardian writer - institutionally hostile. Touch only with bargepole.
  8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Although she is a Scot and therefore I'm sure, much like myself, a right tight git, Bravo2nothing has a point, Audrey.

Come on, dip in - I'm sure your card will take the contribution required for a ADC! :thumright:
  9. Serving soldiers should all know the rules and regs about talking to jounos! :thumbdown:

And are these more jouno friends?
  10. Read her reports from when she was imbedded with the Household Cavalry during Telic 1. You may change your opinion.
  11. Maybe so, but she is still a journo. You never know in what context your opinion or view may be presented. Obviously looking for and easy way to write a story without getting off her arrse!
  12. Quite correct eSel. A well written piece indeed.

13. Journalist wants quote to sell papers. Papers make money. Papers have not made any contributions to forces charities.

I say no quotes without charitable funds.

Clever journalist says: oh but you get to tell your side of the story. I say getifayaweebassa.
  14. Serving soldiers are not to engage with journalists unless cleared first through their unit press officer. Let's be clear about this - journalists are after sensational comments to sell their papers and are not in any way bothered about the actual feelings of the blokes at the sharp end. Do not get yourselves suckered into this request.
  15. Good point Barclays. That's incitement to break QR's. Somebody phone the Scotsman and bubble her.