HAC

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Thomo, Jun 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I have a few questions about the HAC. I did attend a recruitment evening a while ago (unfortunately work commitments prevented me from pursuing anything further at the time) however I do intend to attempt the next recruit selection weekend (in October?).

I am currently on a leave of absence from a TA infantry unit and understand it would be possible for me to attempt the patrol selection course without first completing the recruits course (I have completed the infantry PNCO's course & an operational tour). What I'm not clear about is what would happen should I fail the course - would I simply be RTU'd or would I have other options such as attempting the course a second time or joining one of the other sub units?

Secondly, although I am primarily interested in attempting the patrol course, I am also interested in the signals squadron. I understand they complete a 6-month course in-house - is this course comparable to any royal signals trade or do they go on to do any external courses later at Blanford at all? - Basically if I joined & then moved out of London in 5-6 years time would it be fairly straightforward to transfer across any skills/qualifications to another TA Signals unit?

(Apologies if any of these questions have already been asked - I did find a few HAC threads using the search function but none seemed to answer these particular questions)

2. PM Carlos Hathcock II or londonirish

3. Haven't a clue mate but there have a cracking fairground in the back garden!

Try giving them a call they seem a helpful bunch of chaps

Cheers

4. There have been a few threads relating to the HAC, try pm'ing as suggested above or take a look (try a search on 'own train' for a good one about the HAC!),

Regards,

P

5. If you've already passed basic, then they won't make you retake it. You'll probably have to take a test to prove that your mil. skills are good enough though. There are usually a couple of direct entries on every course.

If you fail PSC, you won't be RTUed - it's not that sort of unit. :wink:

What'll happen is that you'll be put as a numpty in one of the other sub-units and given the opportunity to retake the course later.

Best thing to do is call the unit, explain your situation and set the wheels in motion. If you haven't been already, there is a recruiting evening the first tuesday of every month, which gives you a chance to meet some of the guys and free beer.

Obviously in the meantime, you'll be working on your phys, particularly the bit that involves carrying big packs up steep hills.

Best of luck.

6. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolifestooshort

7. Which closed down before I got a chance to bump anyone in the bumper cars. Was very dissapointed until I got another glimpse of the dancing girls...

8. If you can't be constructive then FUCK OFF! Twat.

9. And why didn't you invite us all to this event? Probably hippocrocagorrilapigs anyway... I hope.

10. /Bite

:D :D :D

11. Ummm, I remain unconvinced of the merits of direct entry to PSC, I eskewed it myself. The current recruits course is majority transferees, and some elements of the Recruits Course (esp. Land Navigation) will probably be new to you (unless you did the old Advanced Land Navigation course, bundle of laughs that that was....).

However, at the end of the Potential Recruits Weekend, those who've done the proper syllabus are offered direct entry. It is not recommended however, and I would not recommend it. The HAC Rcts Cse is designed to give you a fair crack at PSC, without it you'll be playing catchup from the begining.

However, failing PSC is not the end of the world. Given that pass rates are fairly low (>20%), there wouldn't be much of a unit without mechanisms in place to keep people in.

12. Hang on, you're in the RRV...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

13. /Bite

:D :D :D

Do tell us about Selection, Constable, and I'll tell you how to spell "eschewed".

:D

14. Direct entry onto the PSC is possible, you have to pass a series of tests inc a very in depth one on Nav, and if you dont pass that one you have to do the Recruits, simply as there isnt enough time on the PSC to teach all the nav you need to know. You also need to be in date for all your ITD's/MATTS especially the WHT and APWT as again, there is usually not time on the course before progresing onto the field firing stage to re test.

If you do start the PSC and then fail depending on what you failed on you could either be asked if you want to re-course and do it again (to a total of 2 attempts) or transfer into the Sig Sqn or other non STA part of the Regt.

The Sigs training is done in house by qualified personel, and you pass each course with Army wide qualifications so as you as if you then transfer you will be recognised by the rest of the signalling world. But there will be an emphasis on HF and other devices rather than voice. Not sure on how it will work after Bowmanisation as that is happening now and should be finished Regtly by Sept/Oct.

The majority of failures is phys, followed closely by nav mistakes on the Brecon March.
    If have any further questions ask the Recruiting Team or if you want just 'what's it like' type stuff there are a few of us on here that will answer.

Or try Sapukay as he is going through the mill at the moment.