HAC vs Westminster Dragoons

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by justanotheridiot, Feb 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right lads...

Have my 1st interview with the main gang at Croydon on Friday having sent in my officer application over the net.

Trying to decide on a unit to join and really just dont have a scooby. I live/work in London so trying to find one not too far away. HAC / Westminster look like the easiest for me to get to. Thinking maybe MI as have always wanted to do something along those lines. I HAVE used the search function and can't find which units have MI attached to them. Yes, I might have been a knob and missed it.

I'm looking to get as stuck in as possible and happy to commit to a shit load of weekend/evenings so I don't want any namby pamby nonsense. My current 1.5 time is 9.15.

I admit to playing polo but alas am not a public school wierdo. Take from that what you will...
    I also have breasts. Not blonde though. Yes, a girl.

Any USEFUL help would be appreciated, otherwise please feel free to make the usual fcukwit comments.

Thanks!

2. Well, you are brave at least, you may have missed the Royal Yeomanry, based in Croydon.
    They are a good bunch, I was a PSI with them for a while.
    Good bar!

3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Please send photo of breasts unless you're confused and call yourself Fiona.

4. The RY are aligned to H/Cav, who play polo, the W/D are aligned to RTR who dont do Polo

5. The WDs (Royal Yeomanry) are a good bunch and do get out and about a fair amount, the best thing to do is to get down to the TAC on the drill night of the respective places you are looking to join and see if you get on with the feel of the place. (That applies to both the RY and the HAC, and any other place you are thinking of).
    I don't think there are any units that have an MI det, although I standby to be corrected, you would have to join MI.

The RY do have a budding polo team and I'm sure you'd be welcome to join in even though you do have very un-cavalry Jumper Lumps.

Whichever you choose in the end, good luck.

6. 9.15 for a split arrse is a quality time! are you sure you dont just have breasts at the weekend!?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ha. Nope. Pretty sure they are attached at all times. Did slow me down in last years Ironman...

Thanks for all the info guys. My interview was a bit last minute and I wanted to get down to drill nights before they asked me where I wanted to go. Seems they are a bit desperate for Officers with 'jumper lumps'.

8. MI aren't attached to anyone unless you're in Ops, we have their own empire. For London you want 3 MI, their TAC is located within a few hundred yards of the HAC so you won't have a problem getting there. Once you're through all the standard recruit training bollocks you can do as much as you like in terms of commitment. We also offer a wide variety of quality gap years for the discerning youngster.

Do it, we're ace.

3 Military Intelligence Battalion (Volunteers) - British Army Website

9. Just e-mailed them. Thanks!

10. Choosing a unit is like shopping for shoes. Try them on. Go to all the TACs you fancy and chat to your peers. It will be obvious who you suit and who suits you.

Choose well grasshopper.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The HAC have by far the largest and best polo presence in the TA. There really is only one choice to be honest.

Unless of course you are a minger, then it's the Dragoons for you.

Edited to add: We also have our very own Int Cell, if that's your thing.

12. Ugly girls don't play polo....our daddies would be too ashamed.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've played against some howlers in my time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. And there I was thinking it was going to be some kind of 'posh-off' bun fight!

Have you made your mind up about being an officer as some of the units you mentioned do not accept Direct Entry officers.

Have you contacted the Officer Training Wing at LDRTC for further info on direct entry offer training, commitment and time scales?

If you havent already, contact LDRTC and go to one of there presentations (monthly) on officer training, and make sure you talk to the respective possible units about commissioning and roles.

15. Not quite true, they just have horses that are better looking than they are!

• Like Like x 1