HAC Train

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by The_Viper, Mar 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now.. your own train - that's class!

I believe they are the only TA regiment still in existance that had their own train named after them. (Except the Royal Signals who don't count as 'real' soldiers anyway - light blue touch paper and stand WELL back!)

"89 'Honourable Artillery Company'

Photograph dated August 1st 1978
    This Regiment was established by Royal Charter by Henry VIII in 1537, originally known as 'the Gentlemen of the Artillery Garden' - artillery in this case referring to archery and other missile weapons. During the Civil War (1642 - 1649) members of the Company fought on both sides, Royalist or Parliamentary. 'Honourable' was first used in 1685 and later confirmed by Queen Victoria. Over the years members of this regiment have fought as infantry, cavalry and artillery in the Boer Wars, Great War & World War Two. It was in the Boer War that the Company recieved its first battle honours. The Great War found battalions serving in France, Flanders, Italy, Aden, Egypt & Palestine. Ten percent of all those members serving in the Great War were killed in action, died from their wounds or from sickness.

During World War Two the Company servived in North Africa, Italy, France & Germany.

89 / 45006 was new to Derby in March 1961, remaining an LMR locomotive until the summer of 1968 when it moved to Leeds Holbeck. After ten years at Leeds it moved to York, then Tinsley before ending its days at Toton. It was named at Broad Street on June 9th 1965.

45006 received a general repair at Derby Works during November 1979 followed by a light repair during October 1983, also at Derby. After just over twenty five years in service it was withdrawn on September 4th 1986 due to its general poor condition & unreliability."
  2. says it all really. Just a train, no passengers, an old driver, bad paint job, old fashioned mode of transport, smelly, large and ugly.
  3. Having been to more than a few HAC dinners I thought they were a dining club who went for a walk with their pikes at the Lord Mayor's show and stuff like that, didn't know they had a train set too :)

4. That's about it Padre; one big social set and not much else frankly. As for you Viper, what a spotter!
  5. And don't forget all that oh so operationally important marching up and down in lines that they do....such a massive contribution to the national defence, all that standing around in great coats and making guns go bang down at the tower.....when they can tear themselves away from the endless dinners and parties that is....
  6. Such an honourable name for a train that was effectively a pit pony servicing the coal fields of South&West Yorkshire and the North Midlands. If I was a spotter I'd now mention that the class 45 was replaced by class 58. :lol: :lol:
  7. Viper - didn't say it was a fair response, just a response!

David's a good bloke and wouldn't expect anything less from him. All I know is the PR side of the HAC, loads of awfully good blokes what invited me to some ace grub and never mentioned today's activities (which I assumed must exist unless they'd become nothing more than ceremonial). They were, in the main, into Lord Mayor's Shows, The Tower, dressing up and other such stuff - did see proper soldiers around Bunhill fields - playing rugger and whatever but assumed they were another bunch sharing the place.

Ignorance is great as once you are made aware it vanishes - now about Sigs and not real soldiers. I notice that there are a few mentions in VC lists that might just deny that statement ;-). Perhaps we both need to modify our opinions?

Thank you for adding to my knowledge and if nothing else there are two regiments with their own trains (the other being the one I'm attached to) - as you say - how cool is that? Knew my PWay training would come in useful one day!!

Don't suppose you have a picture of that?

8. Here you go mate! (Bless)

9. Thank you. I bet there are even people out there who know what class of loco it is as well :)

thanks for a good thread,

10. Just look at the the louvres, its a class 44/45.
  11. <<Sticks head above parapet>>
    The HAC locomotive isnt in mainline service anymore, as all class 45s were removed from service in the late 80s. Most 45's were named after Regiments, Grantham officers mess used to have the name plate for the "Royal Corps of Transport" displayed on its walls for a long time.

However 275 Railway Sqaudron beats all being a little old Squadron with its own loco.

<<Lowers head below parapet at Network Rail HQ>>
  12. We own our own DMU as well:

Army DMU debut during Anything Goes weekend
    Running for the first time in preservation, the Territorial Army's 257 Railway Squadron's 3-car Class 117 DMU is seen, right, at Williton, during the Anything Goes weekend of 11,12 May 2002. The vehicles arrived on the line just before Easter 2001, and have undergone extensive refurbishment.

13. Surely you are thinking about the class 56's (and wot about the 20's) and anyway the 45's and 46's were express passenger locos working mostly between Newcaslte and Plymouth and the midlands route into St Pancras and wasn't another called Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire regiment (TA) also Leicestershire and Derbyshire Yeomanry?

Being more of a Vac lad myself I mourn the passing of Monarch, Anson and Implacable

.....sh1t outed, i'll get my coat,.

14. [​IMG]

50010 Monarch, one of a class of 50 engines named after warships.

I really will get my coat now :D

Attached Files: