HAC or SAS (R) - 2020 context

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
With both HAC and SAS (R) spearheading ISR bde (although SAS (R) is still showing as both UKSF group and ISR on the official web) what are the main differences in role.

I’ve searched the site and nothing recent available. Sensible answers only.

HAC has a cracking social scene. Patrols course ain’t easy, but I believe it’s not mandatory any more. Ceremonial stuff is part of the job which may or may not float your boat.

21 - Have a search on the other threads

However, I really don’t see what relevance the position in the Army’s ORBAT has to you as a potential recruit. As you’re struggling under a Bergen on either the patrols course or the hills, it will be the last thing you need to worry about. Seems a pretty odd question to ask actually.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
It is possible to contact both units directly. Details are on their respective recruitment pages.
It is more likely that a serious candidate will be invited in for a recruitment brief/interview in order learn more about the role, commitment, the required commitment beyond selection and the prospect and nature of mobilisation.

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
HAC has a cracking social scene. Patrols course ain’t easy, but I believe it’s not mandatory any more. Ceremonial stuff is part of the job which may or may not float your boat.

21 - Have a search on the other threads

However, I really don’t see what relevance the position in the Army’s ORBAT has to you as a potential recruit. As you’re struggling under a Bergen on either the patrols course or the hills, it will be the last thing you need to worry about. Seems a pretty odd question to ask actually.
It’s not odd at all, it’s directly in the context of role. There is a difference between being under the command of the DSF and conducting special forces taskings and conducting operational taskings under ISR.
It is a fair question as to what a successful candidate will be doing.

Shockwave is back, asking odd questions about SAS(R).

You could get in touch with both the units, as I'm sure you've been advised previously.

Have you given up on 4 Para now?

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
I'll endorse the HAC as a great organisation with a historic base in Armoury House. By and large, over the years the HAC has got away with doing whatever it felt like doing. The Royal Artillery decided it didn't need a reservist para battery in the East End: The HAC acquired a troop of ex para gunners. It is a home for people who want to take professional skills as far as they can. I bumped into a young lady who was in the Army team that crossed the Antarctic, and for people who just want to do their bit. It supports a special police section as well as ceremonial sub units such as Pikemen and Musketeers and the Light cavalry ( a three decades old recreated "tradition"). As a reservist you are still part of a regiment with a regional identity not just a pool of zero hours contract soldiers, which is the impression I have gained in recent years.

The HAC has a different culture to the rest of the Army. It is a century and a half older and only joined in 1902. Originally for training the officers of the Armed Bands, the social life is on a single mess basis. To say the HAC parties well is an understatement. There is probably a lot more old codgers hanging around because this is a city institution as well as a reserve unit. I joined in 1990 because I missed the army after a year as a civilian. Brilliant bunch of people.

Last edited:

Dr Death

Old-Salt
HAC even have their own Police Force.
Amazing site seeing a Chinook coming in to land at Armoury House.
City of London Police switchboard goes red hot with city types thinking its crashing!

It’s not odd at all, it’s directly in the context of role. There is a difference between being under the command of the DSF and conducting special forces taskings and conducting operational taskings under ISR.
It is a fair question as to what a successful candidate will be doing.
Please keep digging, as someone who is currently posted to one of the two formations you mention, this is good entertainment for a bank holiday weekend.

The_Duke

LE
MOD comment.

This is on the recruiting boards. Stupid questions are expected. Anyswers must be accurate, up to date and help to answer the questions being asked. If you can’t follow those rules, don’t post.

OP - you have been given the correct answer. Call the units directly and ask them. Answers on here vary from the useful and informative right through to utter rubbish.

Throw in the units in question and you will have all shades of nose tapping and “I’d tell you but I’d have to kill you afterwards” BS.

I would advise you leave it there, step stay from the keyboard and enjoy the sunshine.

soleil

War Hero
The HAC has held cracking open evenings in the spring in recent years. They are very well attended.

One of the highlights is the visit from the Red Devils. Four or five years ago, the wind caused the parachutists some difficulty and one of them landed just outside the grounds and right in the middle of City Road, which came as a surprise to the London bus driver approaching the HAC's gates at the time.

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
Thanks for the sensible replies.

Instead of discussing the social scene of HAC ( think made in Chelsea but in uniform) does anyone have any experience of life on operations with the coveted Lateo triangle?

My point being both SAS (R) & HAC seemingly are roled in the Surveillance & Target acquisition sphere within the same brigade. In a general sense how does the role of these surveillance & reconnaissance troops differ. Both roles are hugely time intensive and both are hampered by disclosure.

japseyewarrior

Old-Salt
Instead of discussing the social scene of HAC ( think made in Chelsea but in uniform) does anyone have any experience of life on operations with the coveted Lateo triangle?
There was one nice chap attached to the joint fires cell in Lash on HERRICK. I think he was a legal type in civvy street so spent most of his war red penning staff work.

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
Thanks. So fair to say HAC can preform the role of JTAC on tour whereas 21 and 23 carry out taskings akin to Pathfinders? CTR’s etc?

japseyewarrior

Old-Salt
Thanks. So fair to say HAC can preform the role of JTAC on tour
Possibly, but there is a JTAC reservist unit in Bath where we got our extra JTACs from. It's a niche trade that is quite currency intensive so not really an optional extra on top of your primary trade.

The_Duke

LE
Thanks. So fair to say HAC can preform the role of JTAC on tour whereas 21 and 23 carry out taskings akin to Pathfinders? CTR’s etc?
You have been told to contact the unit, and you have even mentioned yourself that there are disclosure rules about some of their roles.

Please just call them rather than trying to sort the wheat from the chaff on here.

QRK2

LE
One small point if you have no previous is that HAC are still permitted to conduct ab intio recruit training, albeit they run a lot of it 'in house' rather than using the wider AR system. SAS(R) are no longer allowed to conduct recruit training, if you call them you will have the process explained to you.

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
Thanks to Duke & jap for their response.

HAC were incredibly helpful. They are aware of the confusion in role between SAS (R) and them. In their words their 1 Sqn (special OP) have a role that is to conduct high risk static covert surveillance. The role of a SR soldier is open to civilians, regular and reserve personnel from all three services.

The SR patrols course includes a hill phase run at 4km and cumulates in 4 days of tabs that total 100km over the 4 days. Like SF (R) it is vital HAC patrols can move across country at speed.

The role of SAS (R) is restricted and QR2 is correct- they no longer run DCE’s through AB. SAS (R) are now back under the command of DSF and as such role can only be discussed in person at a brief.

All information on HAC above is in public domain. Thanks for the help.

The_Duke

LE
Jesus, how many more times. Recruiting board rules. If your post isn’t accurate, up to date and helping to answer the question it doesn’t belong on a recruiting thread.

Keyboard warriors, tales of times past and general waffle belong in the NAAFI or Hole. No more warnings.

Latest Threads