Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by schoolstaffinstructor, Jan 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any views on thease units ? I know they are vey different, but at some point I hope to take on a new challenge

2. msr

msr LE

Go and visit both of them. Then make up your mind.

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Both units are good, have very different roles and ethos. As per MSR, visit them both.

PS I am biased, but 4 Para have a clearly defined role, strong links with the regular battalions, great operational experience and a recognised selection process. The HAC have their own selection process which is demanding but not well recognised and seem to be struggling with their role a little (IMHO).
  4. In English please.
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Ok whiffler,

They have their own selection process involving lots of walking about on hills. They have some PSIs from SF, and as such occasionally present themselves as "SF Lite" with lots of talk of blades and sabre Squadrons. However, because this is an internal process and not know to many, the fact that you had passed HAC selection would not be recognised by many in the wider army as something of note.

More longwinded, and less PC, but i hope this meets your obviously exacting standards.

6. I'd advise you to go for 4 Para, if you're unsuccesful with P Coy, you can always go for HCA as plan B.
  7. HAC of course.
  8. And just replace the C with a T and Bingo!!
  9. 289 Para Troop RA in Romford :lol:

Best of both worlds.
  10. Stiff_digit

So, looking at your earlier post you now want to spell it HTA?

Your a bright boy!
  11. I think the chance for deploying will be greater with 4PARA (Uni mate has his telic medal with combat rosette and has just got word he is off to Afghanistan) if that is what you are looking for.

The HAC website states that although 15 members were mobilized for the Iraq war (does not specify if that means all Telics) a total of 7 went. Yup the regiment sent an under-strength section.

I had always thought they were pretty Gucci till I read that little gem.
  12. The Duke,

The boys in an individual unit may not have scoobies on the HAC role, but the commanders do. And at the end of the day who do we all answer to? It isnt about 'how hard I look'.

I am biased.

I would say HAC through and through, but I would agree and say go and have a look at both.

I found I prefered the grown up attitude to soldiering at the HAC better than the one I found at 10 Para, but that is by the by.

Phys wise they are very similar, with I would say the HAC coming out at being harder due to role training (selection)

If you fail P Coy, it is very doubtful if you would manage HAC selection. Recruits yes, but the hills, no. So you could then be posted in the Regt in Sigs or another sub unit, but the Sabre Sqns have a higher phys level than is required for P Coy.

Not sure where your info was from, but the figures are short of about 60-90 people.
    You may be reading Telic 1 figs, alot more have been sent, both as IR's for Gun units from the Regt Gun Troop, or as more recently formed Sqns doing the role.
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Bibo -

Considering you are Ex Royal Sigs now a recruit in 289 it might be as well if you manage to pass either course (P Coy or Arty) before you comment on being the best!
  14. The Bat wrote:

So, looking at your earlier post you now want to spell it HTA?

Your a bright boy!

My apologies, I should have also said change the B for an H in your own name... Are you a Lib Dem?
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Carlos - obviously we will have to agre to disagree! Worked with HAC on the Belize trip in '97 good bunch of blokes generally, but very role specific, basic skills somewhat missing, and no evidence of superman type fitness anywhere!

Remember it is HAC selection not "selection", which suggests the selection for UKSF. ..sort of harks back to the "SF Lite" and pretence of SF status really. P Coy is P Coy - plain and simple!