HAC Open Day - Potential Recruits and (probably) transferees

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Mr Happy, May 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Hi All,

The Honourable Artillery Company based in central London is holding an open evening on Tuesday 20th May 5.30 - 8.30pm.

[​IMG]

The flyer info http://www.army.mod.uk/linkedfiles/hac/hacopenday200508.pdf is below and aimed at new recruits but for those of you already in and considering a new unit, maybe the HAC can provide a new challenge or opportunity for you. PM me if interested in more. The evening is open so you can just pop along if you like.

www.hac.org.uk has a little video attached to it as well.

In addition, if there are any ex-reg's missing life in green or sand, (like I did when I joined xx years ago) then you could do a lot worse than taking a look at the HAC.

The HAC has a 3 patrol squadrons trained to a very high level in long range patrolling and quite a lot of the sexier stuff including night time landing on rough airfield for hercules transport aircraft, deployment of vehicles from the same. Urban and field work. Dead letter drops, Observation posts (from hotel rooms to sub surface ops), working alongside RN and RAF and US assets. The chance to do regular courses not normally open to Territorials and of course deployments either on an IR basis or as part of a formed unit. Apart from the patrol squadrons there is an HQ Sqn with REME, Int, chefs, MT etc and a Signals Sqn with all the latest encrypted gear and a Liaison Tp (last I heard) but I'm not sure what they get up to (clearly not liaising with me!).

In addition the facilities (http://www.hac.org.uk/html/about-the-hac/the-hac-estate/) are first rate, arguably the best in the TA. They include the TAC and Club in central london, the Bisley Shooting Lodge and a private estate in Wales for getting wet in. There are opportunities for skiing, rugby, climbing, sky diving (annual camp this year I believe includes a 10 day course for those interested) and other sports are all there. Lastly membership gives you access to cheap housing in central London, cheap overnight accomodation, free membership to Holmes Place and a raft of other bits and pieces.

Some photo's here: http://www.hac.org.uk/html/the-regiment/join-the-hac-regiment/photo-gallery/

And there's some parties too.

Caveat - I'm no longer in so can't promise to be up to date.

2. The only thing that's stopping me is the 800 mile round trip commute...that would make for a bloody long Drill Night! 8O

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I imagine there's a few guys in iraq thinking the same thing!

4. LOL! :lol:

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

6. Also posted here:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=97030.html

Nice to see that whoever's writing these things is being consistent with their figures.

Still as an ex-HAC man myself, I would recommend it to anyone in or around London. A better bunch of lads and lasses, you won't find anywhere.

7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

8. i might pop down ravers

9. oh 4para or hac?

tempted both ways

10. Maximum age consideration?

I'm fit and run like a 25 year old.

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Go and visit them both then. Different recruit training and selection procedures, different roles, different ethos...

Only you can tell which one is best for you.

12. My bold

13. Actually really interested in this (and not just for the cheap London Accomodation :D ).

When I've sorted my TA life out, I might give them a shout (and assuming I go back to London of course).

14. Just out of interest, are your Int guys badged INT CORPS? Or are they pulled from your Squadrons?

15. My bold - guys? guys? You'll be having some lumpy jumpers on the net to you :D