HAC - Bear with me

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Group_Captain_Mandrake, Aug 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly, I'm aware that there are several threads about the unit. I've read them all so no pointers to the search option needed.

All I'm after is an idea of the options within the Company for a a chap with previous service and knackered knees. I'm fully confident that the Patrols course would do it for my knees and without being slack as I've done it all before are there options that won't cripple me and if so how does it work in terms of concurrent training within the company?

Yes, I'm aware of the recruiting evenings. Yes I will be going but if someone could ease off on the banter and offer some constructive advice it would be much appreciated

Cheers
    GCM

2. 'HAC - Bear with me'? For a moment, I thought that you were in the same room as a large furry animal.

3. HQ Sqn, Sigs Sqn, etc.

There are lots of other posts available.

Not sure if there are any spaces though as they seem to get filled very fast when the less able decide that being a patrol soldier is rather difficult and you still get the HAC capbadge and added bits when you pass recruits and bypass the tough bits.

Also not sure if you would be allowed in without going through recruits, depends on when you left your previous unit I would imagine.

4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The HAC has it's own Signals troop, med wing, REME detatchment and HQ Squadron comprising of SPS, a couple of chefs, storeman etc.

There is plenty to do and your previous military service will be taken into account depending on what you did. PM me if you need any more info.

Edited to add: beaten to it by Carlos!

5. Thanks for the advice. Sadly no bear although it would brighten up my day no end.

What's the form for recruit training? Bog standard stuff spread over the six months?

6. Erm... I don't think they would quite describe it like that!

I gather it is slightly more rigorous than some other TA units.

7. Short answer - Yes.

Long Answer - "No. We're special forces, don'cha know" :D

8. Fairy Muff. Realised that was a little more dismissive than intended. How does your "long answer" translate into the weekly training? Issued black and nasty?

9. Ravers

I completed HAC recruit's course fairly recently, I had previous military experience of a maritime nature and still had to do it along with a couple of other ex military lads from various backgrounds. It was good fun and definitely worth doing as a way of making friends and getting to know people in the unit. Given the choice I would have still gone through recruits instead of going straight in as a direct entrant.

The course was arduous but not impossible, fitness was standard infantry type stuff and weekends were made up of nav, first aid (BCDT), weapons handling, general fieldcraft etc. This all culminated in a final 10 day exercise. All in all good wholesome fun with plenty of tabbing around and lack of sleep. Although the real fun starts after recruits course when you hit PSC.

The course is harder than standard TA basic training, this is in order to prepare you for PSC which is a fairly big leap both mentally and physically. I would definitely recommend having a crack at recruit's course as it was definitely one of the most rewarding and enjoyable experiences I've had (previous regular service included.)

Edited to add: Black and nasty not issued til after PSC 8)

10. Good knowledge. Ta. How does it work regarding those not heading to psc but signals etc or does everyone crack on with the hilly stuff?

11. Ravers

Everyone is generally encouraged to have a crack at PSC but some chose to go straight into another part of the HAC. The failure rate is fairly high with PSC so you tend to get a lot of people in holding troop waiting to start the next course. Some chose to go into other parts of the unit from here. Depending on your previous experience you may not have to complete phase 2 training depending on which sub unit you end up in. If you want to join one of the Sabre Squadrons you will have to complete PSC.

12. Yep, the idle usless cnuts go straight to sigs or elsewhere......

Most dont even bother giving the PSC a go. Hopefully that will change.

I wonder, hypothetically of course, if the ones who didnt pass/attempt the PSC were made to ware another capbadge like the Royal Sigs for example how many would still go the easy route or would not bother.

(Not comparing the HAC to 21/23) A bit like the way the support for 21/23 have the sandy beret but the arm's badge. Would the same amount of people still go for the easy option or would they actually try the PSC????

13. Ravers

I think an element of this does already go on. The REME and SPS lot wear khaki berets with REME or AGC(SPS) badges. Obviously there is also the Corps of Drums who wear the grenade with the guards TRF. I think they are now part of Liason Troop but I'm not entirely sure.

14. Good place with good social but the militry bit is all about to change a lot. They are thinking of getting rid of psc anyway when the role changes at the end of the year.

15. I believe that the HAC is full EXCEPT for the sabre troops which are in need of people. In other words masses of people in all parts of the HAC (Sigs troop etc) except the part that has the harder PSC selection course and on which the operational role is predicated.

Is this true and if true is this healthy?

Not a dig or having a go but genuinely curious.