Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H4H Redundancies and Recovery Centres

Help For Heroes hasn’t escaped the financial effects of Covid and has had to make some major changes.

143 staff at risk of redundancy.

H4H will not be operating out of 3 (Catterick, Colchester, Plymouth) of the 4 recovery centres, for the foreseeable future. Tedworth House will reopen, covid restrictions permitted.

A real shame, but change is inevitable.

Hold up, didn't it say when asked about its huge money pile a while back, that was so it could 'run for 3 years without any more money coming in'?

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
I did some volunteer work for H4H back in 2013, (raising money dressed as Hero The Bear and helping out in the shop). Quite frankly it was very pushy working there as if the other staff were being paid on Commission and the official H4H products tended to be rather expensive for what they were/are.

Last edited:
Hold up, didn't it say when asked about its huge money pile a while back, that was so it could 'run for 3 years without any more money coming in'?
That's what crossed my mind. When I was last at Tedworth around 6 years back I believe there was around £27 million in the bank ( so to speak). Never the less, that was years back and I'd imagine the froth of events & fund raisers has diminished steadily since. Overheads will only (at least) continue or rise so who knows now without looking into the books.
Tedworth is an incredible place. I just wonder....how the chaps & chapettes will get on without it meantime.

Then there is Mission Motorsport...wonder how they will fair.

I am not qualified to understand this lot.

Last edited:

Every charity has reserves. H4H have been eating into theirs even before Covid.

Change is required to be able to support the WIS community. The recovery centres supported 17% of that community. Focus is being shifted to community based support. Hopefully this will be more far reaching.

Tedworth is an incredible place. I just wonder....how the chaps & chapettes will get on without it meantime.

H4H will continue to operate out of Tedworth, it’s Covid that’s stopping that for now.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
One of the points that is often missed is that H4H set out to spend as much as they could where the need was greatest.

When questioned by ,IIRC, the Defence Select Committe Bryn Parry was asked about the policy of a lot of charities to

'Put money aside - for a rainy day'

His response was along the lines of : ' Look outside - It's raining!'

HMG has always said that , as the Govt provides for its troops anyway, what is the point of a seperate fund-raising entity ?

The answer to that is that too many soldiers,sailors and airmen feel that the Service washes its hands of them once they are off the strength. H4H doesn't.

If redundancies are set to take place, the problem lies with the current restrictions imposed due to Covid-19 lockdown and the current rules as much as anything else.

The new Defence National Recovery Centre in Loughborough, partly funded by the Duke of Westminster, is now up and running.

It has taken some of the pressure off the H4H Recovery Centres.

It too has been battered by the Covid rules and regs in relation to supporting our injured Servicemen and women.

One of the points that is often missed is that H4H set out to spend as much as they could where the need was greatest.

When questioned by ,IIRC, the Defence Select Committe Bryn Parry was asked about the policy of a lot of charities to

'Put money aside - for a rainy day'

His response was along the lines of : ' Look outside - It's raining!'

HMG has always said that , as the Govt provides for its troops anyway, what is the point of a seperate fund-raising entity ?

The answer to that is that too many soldiers,sailors and airmen feel that the Service washes its hands of them once they are off the strength. H4H doesn't.

If redundancies are set to take place, the problem lies with the current restrictions imposed due to Covid-19 lockdown and the current rules as much as anything else.

The new Defence National Recovery Centre in Loughborough, partly funded by the Duke of Westminster, is now up and running.

It has taken some of the pressure off the H4H Recovery Centres.

It too has been battered by the Covid rules and regs in relation to supporting our injured Servicemen and women.

There‘s no National element yet, the defence element being available only to serving personnel and very exceptionally some veterans (eg those injured in service, discharged and undergone osseointegration).

If/when the National element is built it will be NHS, spaces will be very limited and I suspect it will be on need and primarily for physical rehabilitation.

There remains a very great need for H4H and other military charities, they help those that would otherwise slip through the gaps and be forgotten.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Help For Heroes hasn’t escaped the financial effects of Covid and has had to make some major changes.

143 staff at risk of redundancy.

H4H will not be operating out of 3 (Catterick, Colchester, Plymouth) of the 4 recovery centres, for the foreseeable future. Tedworth House will reopen, covid restrictions permitted.

A real shame, but change is inevitable.
Some Aston Martins will be going cheap...

The H4H mob at Tedworth worked in a highly toxic environment a few years ago - the boss chap was a very smug and arrogant ex-CO type.
They spent a fortune on buying the silence of disgruntled ex members of staff.
Help for Heroes paid £158,000 in employment claims Help for Heroes paid £158,000 in employment claims

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm sure tha Parry's will miss their 150k salaries....

chimera

LE
- the boss chap was a very smug and arrogant ex-CO type.

The boss that had a couple of centimetres of his femur shot out by a AK47 bullet in Helmand? Guess he had first hand experience of what needed to be done.

chimera

LE

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Isn't that from 'the trading arm' rather than from donations? Like the Aston Martins.

The boss that had a couple of centimetres of his femur shot out by a AK47 bullet in Helmand? Guess he had first hand experience of what needed to be done.

David Richmond?

I always found him a very nice bloke and easy to talk to. He understands injury, rehabilitation and setback. Few better people to have in your corner.

I believe he works for/with Johnny Mercer now in veteran‘s affairs.

chimera

LE
David Richmond?

I always found him a very nice bloke and easy to talk to. He understands injury, rehabilitation and setback. Few better people to have in your corner.

I believe he works for/with Johnny Mercer now in veteran‘s affairs.

I am guessing that was the guy @Queensman was referring to. I agree with you - I found him a good guy, and certainly not pompous.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Without them a generation of Service wounded personnel would be a lot worse off.

And FWIW, at the same time Bryn P was banging his head against various institutional brick walls to get SOMETHING done, his son was serving on Op Herrick in Afghanistan, not at a desk in Bastion but out on the ground every day.

Have you done anything as worthwhile ?

I haven't .....