H4H, Hols4H, Sgt S and all the rest... Gizzits for you

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jul 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Re. my post near the bottom of p2 here:

JCOVE Lite is, as mentioned in the linked thread, a freebie from the MOD. It was originally done as something to aid recruitment, where we could dish out DVDs at the recruiting offices to give kids a "taste of battle" or whatever. One of the core features we asked for was a modifiable menu and splash screen where anyone could create their own "version" of the installation and DVD with some basic HTML and images to put their own Service, Unit, whatever logos, info and links in before they redistributed it. The idea being that an Army recruiting office in London could use Army pics, link to the local units and provide specific recruiting details ready to hand out to the local kids - but a RAF office in the North could put different details down.

There will be a download available once the "development" version (i.e. with tweakable front end) is finished.

I'm currently in talks with the developers regarding the conditions around the use of this splash screen, and hoping to determine if it can be used by charitable organisations. With any luck I'll be able to get it so we can have some freebie DVDs with all the H4H, Hols4H, Sgt Slingsby etc. details attached to the game. If they say yes you should all be able to reproduce these yourselves and give them away for nothing (maybe a small donation ;) ) with all the details on how to contribute more, and all attached to what will hopefully be a popular computer game. Not a bad way of generating interest, support and donations, I reckon!

If any of your charitable leader-types (MDN, blue-sophist, the COs, etc.) want some more info just let me know - I'll keep you updated.

2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Hi mate, got the PM sounds interesting, can you tell me more

3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Where's meridian when you need him? I've sent him an email, because he understands this sort of stuff. I just talk to Teddy Bears :roll:

Thanks for the PM Bruno - much appreciated. :wink:

4. Was it meridian who had the Slingsby screen savers ?? I need one for work.

5. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Meridian is INDEED the screen-saver IT-God-type-thing of Slingsby and Hols4H 8)

6. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Quick update, just got back in from a few days away.

Will catch up and get back.....

7. You mean you were having a quick Barclays? :D Don't worry, that's the excuse I always use too.

MsG

8. Mate, you had a thread of screen savers a while back, any chance of a link to it ?? :D

9. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

10. BrunoNoMedals

Might as well post in most of what I sent to Dozy, minus a couple of the possible PERSEC-breakers:

Is that a bit clearer? I do tend to waffle... :D

11. BrunoNoMedals

Bit of good news; this "configurable front-end" is MOD-owned to do with as we please. The National Army Museum is already on board to distribute their own version, so you'll be able to go down there and pick up a free computer game plastered with NAM marketing. I mentioned H4H, etc., to the Major in our team and he said, and I quote:

"That's a bloody good idea, I hadn't thought of that."

So it looks like this could be very much feasible. Still got to get buy-in from the bosses, and I'm sure some form of MOD bureaucracy will mean paperwork up to a 3* somewhere along the line, but I'll see what I can do.

12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You are a very very nice man! :D

13. BrunoNoMedals

Heh, cheers :D Really, though, I'm one of about five people playing this game worldwide (since you can't download it yet) and I'm just ensuring I've got plenty of other people to play against ;)

It's a freebie that I think can be exploited quite well for charity. If all it takes on my part if a bit of banter with the bosses and some paperwork then it's got to be a better karma boost than wearing my tri-colour wristband!