H3 Detector - Scam or Most Amazing Invention EVER?!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Gundulph, Jan 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what is it???? can't be bothered to follow links?

2. A detector that "apparently" can detect any element up to 2 miles away :roll:

Very Dubious, the Company behind it has approached Motorola to be the first to have it incorporated into their phones...

Very Fishy Pile of Poo :? if you ask me...

3. It's a letter from an inventor to the top-bod at Motorola offering him first refusal of an explosive detector that can be built into a mobile phone.

Offer expired on 27th Nov 07.

Seems plausible enough I suppose.

Edit to add: sorry, didn't clock the range - balls it is then.

4. According to the blurb it is a NANO IONIC RESONANCE measurement system that can be fitted to mobile phones to give you
    Alert:
    You are within
    500 feet of an
    explosive device.
    Press # to notify
    authorities.

No idea if it works or is just more hype.

5. It seems like a good idea until you start thinking laterally.

Now, what are the items that you can't take into an ammo compound?

Oh, yes. Mobile phones......

6. Or "Press # to accidentally detonate it"?

I put this one up there with cold-fusion and the outpourings of 'Dr' Gillian McThief: utter, unmitigated pseudo-scientific tosh without any basis in fact.
    What does it detect - nitrogen compounds? How about (perfectly inert) fertilisers? All manner of nitro-carbon compounds within the human body? "You are within 500 feet of someone who is full of piss, press # to wake them up and get them into a taxi"

Edited to add that puttees beat me to it! :oops:

7. utter sh!t...i'm not an ATO, but i know that such a device is impossible given the variables in explosives

8. Probably like everyone else, I've been Googling.

It seems that every site that's thrown up with the option to comment has attracted comments from the good people of H3 Tec themselves.

All very wierd.

9. http://vector1media.com/spatialsustain/?p=209

A TWO MILE range?

The blurb says the device can detect a certain number of elements. Ooohhhh there's some carbon over there, that's useful, that is.

Edited to add, utter bullshit, the device manages to send an 'impluse' through a metal tin to detect a target compound? A nice metal faraday cage? I think not.

Pseudo-science babble, someone's just strung together 3 snazzy sounding words, hoping to fool fools into providing some 'research' funding......

Google http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&q=%22nano-ionic+resonance%22&btnG=Search&meta= and the only references are to.... H3Tec!

10. Do you think there's a market for an 'ARRSE Mk1 Patent Horseshit Detector'? This H3 thing would certainly give a hell of a reading on one.

The ARRSE Mk1 PHD:
    "Able to detect utter tripe on the Internet in a matter of minutes; provided there's no war movies on the telly, then you might need to wait an hour or so"
    "Perfectly geared up to detect Walts instantly - please note it doesn't do anything except provide an alert, then roll around on the floor p1ssing itself laughing"
    "Do not use within 2km of a politician or 'professional artist' to avoid overload"

11. Reminds me of certain bits of kit (That I'm probably still not allowed to talk about) that we used to wear across the water.

Split into detectors and inhibitors, they were supposed to either alert us to or prevent attacks from RC IED's

Except everything in the world set them off. Traffic lights, car alarms, a sudden change in ambient air temperature...

Weeks and weeks of practice drills at Lydd and Hythe would be abandoned after two days of constant bleeping in Belfast and the batteries would go straight into walkmans everywhere.....

12. It reminds me very much of the portable atom-bomb detector, which consisted of a piece of paper on the end of a stick. When the paper went black, you knew there'd just been a nuclear explosion.

13. Thanks for providing me with the first proper guffaw of the new year!