H.Y.A.A. what does it mean? 395 H.Y.A.A Battery R.A.

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Time_Bandit, Feb 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evenin chaps. Looking for help on finding out what H.Y.A.A. means! My Gramps was in the 395 H.Y.A.A in the Second World War and I think he might have been involved in Ack Ack. This is what I suspect the A.A. stands for, but what about the H.Y. ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

This post also posted in the history forum.
  2. is/was he a jock posibaly higland yeomonry anti aircraft battery or it could just be short for heavy anti aircraft battery
  3. Thanks for the reply,
    No he was as English as they come and signed up in Surrey. I'm pretty damn sure he was Anti Aircraft, and HY could well be HeavY. Good work!
  4. Hi m8. It could possibly Hastings Yeomenry Anti Aircraft , as there was a unit called Hastings Yeomenry RA, and Hastings is right next door to Surrey
  5. I think it would be Heavy Anti-Aircraft as already suggested.

It would normally be written as 305 HyAA Bty or Regt but I have seen it with a capital Y.
  6. Heavy Anti-Aircraft was usually written as HAA, althoug HyAA would appear to be an acceptable alternative, certainly a capital Y would not be correct. So I suspect that one of the other suggestions is correct, when I return home tonight I will investigate further.
  7. There was a Hampshire Yeomanry AA Regt in WW2

but it doesn't seem to have contained 395 HAA Bty.

395 HAA Bty was part of 91 Regt, which served defending the Humber Estuary in 1941 and then in the area of Tripoli / Haifa in 1943.

If you have a good root through the Regiments site, you may find 395 Bty somewhere (but I couldn't). You may also be able to find 221 and 386 Btys HAA, which were also part of 91 Regt HAA.

Looking at 221 Bty in particular, it was only a couple of Btys away in number sequence from the HAA Btys of the Hampshire Yeomanry Regt HAA. The RA has chopped and changed Btys around so much over the years that it isn't a terribly reliable indicator that 221 Bty (and by extension, 395 Bty) was a Yeomanry HAA Bty, but it has to be worth thinking about.
  8. All interesting stuff. I did find this http://www.wohnungs-suche.com/friends/75Regt/welcome.asp
    which seems to suggest there was a 395 Bty HAA but the web page isn't that helpful, it only mentions 395s existance as HAA.

Fluffy, my Gramps was based around the Humber in Hull and Grimsby, and sailed for many places including Haifa on 28th May 1942 on the SS Orcades from Grimsby.

The whole RA Battery numbering system seems like twas in a real mess!

Hmm so is HYAA HeavY Anti Aircraft or Hampshire/Hastings Yeomanry Anti Aircraft. I'm feeling it is more likely to be Heavy Anti Aircraft BUT fluffys info does correspond well to where my Gramps went.
    Thanks for helpin guys,
    Any further help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks again

9. Now if you'd told me your Grandad was in the area of the Humber then Haifa earlier :)

The 395 Bty I referred to was an HAA Bty, listed as such in

Anti-Aircraft Artillery 1914-55, Brig NW Routledge OBE TD, Brassey's, 1994, ISBN 1 857753 099 3

This book is from the excellent History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery series. Your library may be able to get a copy for you, or I've seen them on Amazon from time to time.

There is no reference I could find in the book to Hastings or Hampshire Yeomanry Regts as such (by title), but 395 were deployed in the Beirut/ Jerusalem/ Haifa / Tripoli and Cyprus area in Jan 1943, equipped with 3.7" AA guns (anything over 3" being listed as "Heavy AA") so, on the basis of where your Grandfather was, I'd suggest that HYAA should actually be HyAA, or more commonly HAA.

Just a point to watch BTW. These days there doesn't seem to be any cross-over with Bty numbering, but in WW2, there seems to have been instances where Btys had the same number but were then further designated by a suffix.

For example, there were 11 Bty HAA, 11 Bty LAA and 11 Bty SL and as far as I can see they were all different. I'm fairly sure there may have been an 11 Fd Bty as well. Perhaps some Sphinx type could add to this?

Thus, just because you find a Bty with what appears to be the correct number, it doesn't always mean you've found the right one, and any other method of checking is worthwhile (in the example of 395, the deployment to the correct area in the timescale you know)
  10. Have just checked Litchfield's Territorial Artillery 1908-1988, There is no 395 Bty listed, but there is a 393 (Hampshire (M) Heavy Anti-Aircraft) Bty.

Hope this is of some assistance.