• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

H&S v Heroic act - railway worker suspended.

I do hope the suspension is under full pay!

A railway worker has been suspended for rescuing a disabled woman who fell on to train tracks just minutes before a train arrived because his actions 'broke health and safety rules'.
The employee - who has not been named - hauled the wheelchair-bound woman to safety after she fell four feet on to the rails just minutes before a train was scheduled to arrive.
Three other people helped him lift the wheelchair, with the woman in her seventies strapped in, back on to the platform at Southend Central railway station in Essex.
But instead of being commended for his life-saving actions, the worker has since been suspended for the rescue on August 28.

Bosses at c2c - which operates train services between London, Tilbury and Southend - say the worker could now face disciplinary action for failing to follow ‘safety procedures’.

A spokesperson for the company said: 'We have strict rules regarding the safety procedure for the quickest way of stopping trains in an emergency. An employee has been suspended while our investigation into this incident continues.'

Are c2c a subsidiary of Dignitas by any chance?

Was it a heroic act? 'Minutes before the train was scheduled to arrive' doesn't suggest that he managed to dive back onto the platform just as a 120mph express grazed the heels of his shoes does it?

Was it a heroic act? 'Minutes before the train was scheduled to arrive' doesn't suggest that he managed to dive back onto the platform just as a 120mph express grazed the heels of his shoes does it?
No, it wasn't 'heroic' that's just newspaper bullshit, it was prompt and effective action rather than stopping the lines in all directions and leaving her there for an hour and a half, for 150 firemen and ambulance crew to turn up and do the same thing themselves.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hold hard just one second. If the great and good have a drill for such things and the worker is trained accordingly, is it not possible that by failing to stop the trains before leaping in all hero-like, it's entirely possible that the worker could actually have turned a relatively minor fall into a splatterfest when the train ploughed into the pair of them?

Just saying, like.

I did. Though that might also be due to the food I ate at the pub earlier.
I hope you carried out a full risk assessment before doing so and have submitted a method statement completed in triplicate.

No, it wasn't 'heroic' that's just newspaper bullshit, it was prompt and effective action rather than stopping the lines in all directions and leaving her there for an hour and a half, for 150 firemen and ambulance crew to turn up and do the same thing themselves.
But if he's ignored the proper procedure for someone on the lines and the 0746 express wasn't bearing down on her at a large rate of knots then why wouldn't there be an investigation into why he felt he should ignore his 'orders' and climb onto the tracks when there wasn't a pressing need to?

There might be a case for some mild outrage if he'd actually saved her from being crushed by a train but I don't see it for someone who ignores the rules they've been taught when they don't need to.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
But if he's ignored the proper procedure for someone on the lines and the 0746 express wasn't bearing down on her at a large rate of knots then why wouldn't there be an investigation into why he felt he should ignore his 'orders' and climb onto the tracks when there wasn't a pressing need to?

There might be a case for some mild outrage if he'd actually saved her from being crushed by a train but I don't see it for someone who ignores the rules they've been taught when they don't need to.
This.

A bit like pulling a squaddie up for going running into a minefield when there's just no need.

I think the correct procedure is to rip pettycoats off young girls and wave them at the oncoming train.

Total non-story!

All they had to do was inform the signal box and follow procedures. This entails (amongst other things) a Block and local isolation of both the line effected and the adjacent if there is one. All trains on these lines would be held at danger aspects and this would also be automatically transmitted over the cab secure radio.

Total non-story!

All they had to do was inform the signal box and follow procedures. This entails (amongst other things) a Block and local isolation of both the line effected and the adjacent if there is one. All trains on these lines would be held at danger aspects and this would also be automatically transmitted over the cab secure radio.
I've always wanted to use those BFO jump lead kind of things that short the track circuit and make the section "occupied"

But then I like causing trouble.

Calm down everyone, it was in the Mail so it's probably made up or massively mis-reported anyway.

Total non-story!

Is your notebook full yet?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads