H&S nannies: Conkers, leapfrog, British bulldog, etc. banned in 15-30% of schools

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by IndependentBoffin, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ...quashed entirely. Your accident, your fault.

11 vote(s)
  2. ...balanced with "common sense". Common sense is not so common, unfortunately.

29 vote(s)
  3. ...even more rigorous. Seriously?! You can live in your padded room, don't make me join you!

0 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schools banning conkers and leapfrog over safety fears - Telegraph

The difference between a free man and a slave is fear. These children are being brought up thinking there is danger around every corner or non-authorised activity. We are raising a generation of battery chickens; fearful, obedient, without initiative and apparently without adequate RRRs, ripe for farming.
  2. Well said IB, as an infrequent visitor to these shores the level of damage that is being inflicted by the educational establishment on the youth of this society is astounding, and really can only be a deliberate act by the Gramsci mouth breathers in our institutions.

The the only thing to do is to ensure that your kids are trained to hold the whip hand and drive the herd towards the guns.
  3. At the Oval yesterday to watch a 2nd XI match, an elderly gentleman asked if he could use a chair to sit on and place it in the sunshine. He was told no. The reason: 'If I let you use that chair and you are hit by the ball it, will be a H&S issue and I may be held responsible'.

This sentence uttered by a certifiable 'twonk' whilst surrounded by 20,000 'chairs' all within range of hefty blows by the batsmen, sums up H&S legislation! I hear that new rules are being prepared to outlaw sitting on a lavatory seat in case one should fall off said seat.

We have no hope in this country. Blair ruined it. Brown buried it. The European Soviet Union has rendered it ungovernable.
  4. Why thank you :). I removed the last sentence but put it back in, as I didn't want to be accused of shit stirring.

The thing is though, mentalities aside the difference between a herd of cattle and a free roaming pack of wolves is the pen around them. Do you think we will start seeing exit visas being required one day, like the ol' Soviet Union? Or are the barriers being set up purely in our mind?
  5. Whilst agreeing with you about nannyism, it's only fair to point out that H&S has nothing to do with this; it's almost entirely the result of (a) hysterical and untrue coverage in the Press ('You can be sued if you clear snow off the pavement') and (b) the avarice of insurance companies ('What, squire, conkers in the playground? That'll be an extra five grand on the insurance, then.')

Like the Data Protection Act so often invoked in refusal when one makes a simple telephone request for information, "Iss not me, it's Health and Safety mate" has become the cry of the modern Jobsworth. The people really at fault are the public, for meekly submitting every time the bogeyman is invoked.
  6. Very true. I find this bit of the HSE website very helpful in debunking some of the common elf-and-safety factoids.
  7. Fixed that.
  8. The Government is not at fault for H&S regulations. It's our own fault for following the US lead on suing anyone and everyone.
  9. Nail hit on head,

Along with every LLP milking & exploiting every opportunity, the fear of litigation within the work & social environment is beyond madness...
  10. don't want those past-times interfering with Kabaddi trianing, so we????
  11. So, why are people these days trying to blame someone else?

When I was a young kid and scraped my knees, sprained my ankles, fell off my bike, knocked my head (haha did lots of that), etc. whilst playing, it never occurred to me or my parents to blame the school, city council, etc. for the accident. Almost invariably my parents would say something along the lines "Oh poor thing, be more careful next time." i.e. my accident, my fault. The culture these days has changed a lot though. Now everyone is afraid of being blamed for something. Such as me being afraid of being blamed for shit stirring :)

When courts start blaming someone else for people spilling hot coffee on their laps or some other accident and order payouts, and lawyers offer to take on compensation claims on a no win no fee basis, suddenly people see that as a risk-free opportunity to get rich. At least make the blighters pay for the risk of taking someone to court!
  12. And almost entirely unfounded. I asked my missus (barrister) about some of these public liability fears and she said a judge would chuck 99% of them out on first sight. Young and keen lawyers working for insurance firms spend their days trawling statutes and judgements in search of the tiniest justification for hiking the premiums still further. The liabilities they supposedly identify are almost never tested in court as very few lawyers are daft enough to take them to trial. And if they did the judge would **** them off sharpish.
  13. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Of course, it doesn't help when you get teachers claiming £200,000 for slipping on a grape (don't know how true that story is), penpushers claiming £400,000 for the so-called repetitive strain injury (again, not sure how true) etc.

There was a thread in here around a year ago about a TV programme called Scams, Claims and Compensation Games. Naturally it featured your typical Jeremy Kyle show auditionees, bleating about tripping over an uneven grass field at school sports day, some kid stubbing his toe on a drain and bagging a few 'K'. And the complimentary ruthless ambulance chasing smug lawyer who makes organisation's lives a misery by hitting them with one lawsuit after the next.

Consider how much it costs to get a 30 second advert on the TV - then work out how many channels there are (including all the Sky ones) - each one of them pumping out 'compensation claim' adverts which seem to feature on every other advert, depending on the time of day. Then imagine how much the each person within one such organisation gets paid, from the Chief Exec, down to the person that wanders around the office all day distributing the internal mail. Couple that with the amounts they're paying out to 'Mr G, Colchester', and 'Miss F, Chepstow' etc - and you start to get some idea of how much these organisations from schools to hospitals are paying out. Who can blame them for wanting to protect themselves from banning anything remotely to do with danger?

But when they stick in a claim for slipping on a grape - where do they think the money comes from? I'm guessing they imagine it comes out of the Chief Exec's sky rocket with an apology about the whole grape dropping thing - because the same people are whingeing the following year when the council tax goes through the roof.

And have you noticed these ads always seem to be in abundance during daytime TV? They certainly know their target audience.
  14. One of the main reasons for the explosion in allergies amongst children is due to the fact we now bring up children in an over safe almost sterile environment, they are so clean that they are failing to build up any resistance to infection, Parents fear has reduced their children to little couch potatoes who will have numerous medical problems in latter life because of this
    • Like Like x 1
  15. It's all your fault for inventing disinfectant, antibiotics and soap. Oh, yes, and bacteria.