H&S Implications

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by B_AND_T, Jan 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

2. So, as an example, a Firefighter turns up to some pickeys house to fit a smoke alarm, uses a set of dodgy steps and then falls of, injures his back and is off for 6 months. Who is responsible and who fits the bill of finding a replacement?

Its common sense to use this approach
  3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

There has to be a sensible approach to this. As the reader comment says do they evaluate stairs lifts etc before using them.
  4. Thats why there is such a thing as Risk Assessment. You have to take each scenario for its worth. In this case, you cannot guarantee that every home you go to will have a safe set of steps, so its a sensible approach. Of course they evaluate stairs and lifts etc, everyone does. Everything you do you conduct a risk assessment in your head before doing it.
  5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

The easiest way would be to have there own steps issued, but I am sure this will create funding issues.
  6. Exactly, but then bean counters as you say would look at the cost issue. I bet the "assets" are already in place, but the fireman just dont bother taking them. It would be similar to your Sky engineer turning up to fit your dish, and then asking to borrow your ladder to do it. Wouldnt happen. Its another non story from the Mail who seem to have issues with H&S
  7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I agree with you on that but whats next?
  8. The trouble with H&S is that the papers put a negative spin on things, and people who dont understand it cause more problems than are actually there. People become risk averse, stop activities and blame "H&S" when really its just their own poor understanding that causes the problem.

People do a two week course, think they are H&S guru's and then go on to blame everything from the rain falling to global warming on H&S. If you actually look at the H&S legislation, its not asking for something that is impossible to achieve, all its asking for is that a risk assessment is conducted, and if something is likely to occur that will cause injury, you take measures to try and prevent that injury from occuring. Its not rocket science.

The problem begins when budget managers look at it, and suddenly the whole world is risk averse. Rather than put a bit of thought into something and work out ways of making activities happen that doesnt result in someone loosing a limb, its easier to just cancel the whole thing and blame "H&S"
  9. *Daily Mail mode on*

Why are we using the Fire Brigade to fit people's smoke alarms in the first place, haven't they got anything better to do? I had to fit my own, why can't other people etc etc... bloody immigrants... whiffle... council house scum... harumph... gay mafia etc etc.

10. That's the point, they polish, practice and sleep. Getting them out and doing menial tasks is the governments idea of getting value for money.
  11. DS,

And wouldn't you agree that this is an effect of H & S not being able to articulate in a simple manner what they actually require people to do?

12. I would say that there is something in that. I would say that there is a responsability on the H&S "community" to break the negative perception and endevour to get people to understand that this is no black art and not designed as a fun reduction activity.
  13. DS

14. I would also say that there is a responsability on those undertaking H&S tasks, such as risk assessments, to take a bit of time and do a bit of research to understand what they are doing.
  15. Dear me, I think everyone is missing the point! Hello FIRE fighters, reckon the last thing any of them are worried about is whether some steps are tested or not!
    Agree with the continuous risk assesment but surely thats what we used to call common sense, and if you go past that its called bravery?
    I said all this when they brought out Total Quality etc in the army, COSHH lockers and all that jazz, all well and good in camp peace time, what happens out in the sticks "stop firing a sec will you raghead i need to sign this out in the COSHH register theres a good fellow" . If these guidelines are to be adhered to that are put before us by our shiny arrsed friends maybe for all services including fire police etc they could maybe check on the bits of legislation that cover "breaks" , or would that be too absurd?