H+P A1 (class 1) project.

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by happysapper558, Nov 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

I have been set a task as part of H+P class1 which is to create a report and organise it correctly when putting water supply to a temporary camp anywhere in the world.

I have to take in to consideration there will be x2 Water supply tanks 70m cubed, septic tanks, ablutions, a kitchen, wash area, and soak aways etc.

Anyone who has experience of doing this sort of job on tour or anywhere else i'm hoping can help me.

I will list the details i need and any info anyone can give will be appreciated as will any ideas on what others would do if they were running this job.

Ok here goes.
    there will be me plus x10 class 2 sappers we have 36 hours to complete the task

What materials will i need? Fittings, pipes, timber, pump units, filters etc and how much?

If anyone has experience of creating a 'main events list' when conducting tasks an example would be appreciated.

As i work through the project i will have a clearer idea of what is required so apologies if my post is sketchy at the moment.

look forward to any responses and reading your ideas. cheers guys

2. Cow

Cow LE

Whilst not being able to answer your questions I have one for you. Are there not publications which should be available to you to complete this task? Most deployements have to be scaled (sp?) and there should, somewhere, be a break down of equipment and its capabilities (how many people it can support, manpower needed, etc).

To be able to reel off the requirements off the top of your head when you've possibly been out of trade for some time or never worked on that sort of kit you'd need to be a right geek.

3. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

As mentioned above this info should be available in the Section Commanders/Cbt Engr TAM, if they're still issued, or are you requiring us to pass your Class 1 project for you?

4. Agreed on the geek thing lol

we have a general drainage book and we are getting a pam later but i was more interested in what other people had to say on the matter from their own experience more than anything. Learning this from a book is not going to help me much but if i can hear other peoples ideas and suggestions it would enable me to picture the job better.

We have a scale drawing of the camp itself that we have to add to showing the water supply and drainage pipes. We also have blank sheets which we are required to do our own drawings of soakaways etc.

Any suggestions where else i can look for info? cheers

5. Thanks wedge_cadman. No i am not asking you to pass my project for me but with no experience of this sort of task myself i thought this would be the best place to ask. Saying about the TAM is great help thanks just the sort of help i was looking for. If i have asked for too much help and it has offended you then please accept my apology.

6. wedge_cadman

welcome to the sarcastic world of Arrse :)

7. hahaha cheers :thumright:

8. happysapper, I take it you have managed to get your A1 H&P course probably as a Lance Jack or Senior Sapper? understandable then that you won't have been thrown into knocking up a more detailed 'Engineers' Report' as you will have done had you been on your Junior Commanders and Section Commanders courses as a senior Lance Jack or Full Screw... I would imagine what they are looking for isn't a detailed Report but something more basic, ask around your Oppo's on the course, the senior Lance Jacks and Full Screws will have a better idea and will be able to help you out with the meat of the subject, unless of course the entire course is made up of complete Jack #&^@s?! which is doubtful but altogether 'possible' ...

9. wedge_cadman

My suggestion (it's been a few years since I did this) make plenty of photocopies before you mark up the drawings.
    Work out on your blank copy your water supply first, Tank positioning, pipe runs etc. Then using the tables work out flow rate required at distribution point, then you can work the pipe sizes out back towards the tank.
    For the drainage its sort of the reverse process. Again work out your runs on the copy. You know the max Litres per/sec output if all water was in flow. Then, again using the tables, work out your min to max pipe sizes to your soakaway. A point to note that it's unlikely that all water will be On at the same time so the drain diameters can be made smaller.
    You can estimate your pipe lengths from the drawings, add a percentage for error.
    when you've worked it all out mark up 2 copies, one showing water one showing drainage.
    If you have the function of a CAD package try to use that if possible
    Hope this helps

10. wedge_cadman

Actually after re-reading your OP thats probably not the answer you were looking for, but it will give you pipe quantities and sizes for ordering.
    Add plant and a pom to the stores list for all the drainage digging, if not lots of shovels ;-)
    Also condider your water tank height as this will determine the pressure and therefore will have a bearing on the pipe diameters. Too high a tower will also act as an rpg magnet if its design for a FOB.

11. Thanks guys!

12. Have you got a DII account? If so PM me your user name (PUID) and I will send you some details. Failing that phone up TICRE in Chilwell and ask for the ISTN's which were published in 2008 (these are the most up to date). They have drawings and comprehensive stores lists.

Project done!

13. Thanks i have PM you

14. Sorry, wrong topic (edited).

15. feck me what about having to do sh1t-loads of overlays on tracing paper & hand writing all the stores lists etc. :-x