Gyros.

My Grandson who lives in Germany, has sent me some packets of a marinade for making Gyros. Although he was born in Cambridge, he has lived most of his life in Germany, so talking to him is a little difficult as I unfortunately don't speak German.

I recognised the words garlic and zuccini (sp) but apart from that I'm lost.

Can anyone help with a recipe please?

If it's Maggi "Gyros Fix" Contents of packet + 100 ml water + 2 dessert spoons of oil add mixture to 350 grams of meat. Let it marinade for 30 mins(or longer) Fry.

My Grandson who lives in Germany, has sent me some packets of a marinade for making Gyros. Although he was born in Cambridge, he has lived most of his life in Germany, so talking to him is a little difficult as I unfortunately don't speak German.

I recognised the words garlic and zuccini (sp) but apart from that I'm lost.

Can anyone help with a recipe please?

Add stuff to other stuff. Cook. Eat.

How about just a tiny little bit of help - like what it says on the packet perhaps?

Look under the word - "Bereitung".

Add stuff to other stuff. Cook. Eat.

How about just a tiny little bit of help - like what it says on the packet perhaps?

Look under the word - "Bereitung".
Sorry. Meant to do that. This is what it says. The firm is Ostmann, its called Fix & Fertig marinade. Gyros.

I can understand the part where I put the sliced meat in a dish, pour the marinade sauce over it, and into the fridge for 30 mins.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rezepttipp; Gyrospfanne, Athen.

500g geschnetzelten Schwweinenacken wie oben beschrieben marinieren,danach in einer erhitzten planne ambraten.

1 kleine zucchini in scheiben 1 rote paprikaschote in stucken und 2 kinleine zwiebeln in ringen dazugeben, andunsten und ca. 5 minuten dunsten, 250g gegarten reis dazugeben, mit salz, Ostmann pfffer weis gemahlen und Ostmann paprika scharf abschmecken und nach wunsch mit einer knoblauchsauce servieren.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope I've typed that lot correctly. Thanks for the help, 'er indoors is looking forward to this Gyros.

Google translate isn't to bad, if you can fill in the gaps; ie paprika instead of pepper etc:

Google Translate.

link includes recipe translation!
Thanks, but I tried doing that, it leaves words in German such as Ambraten Planner, what does that mean, and there don't appear to be any cooking instructions. I'm at a loss here.

For real German authenticity you need to go down town, find a cellar bar and drink 10 bottles of Herforder pils, (or similar) followed by a bottle of Asbach Brandy, round it off with a swift Jägermeister. Afterwards stumble home to eat your Gyros, make sure you have plenty of tzatziki sauce on it.

Then go to bed await dizziness and sweaty palpitations, quickly sit bolt upright and then projectile barf all over the Mrs’ back. Sorted.

Sorry. Meant to do that. This is what it says. The firm is Ostmann, its called Fix & Fertig marinade. Gyros.

I can understand the part where I put the sliced meat in a dish, pour the marinade sauce over it, and into the fridge for 30 mins.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rezepttipp; Gyrospfanne, Athen.

500g geschnetzelten Schwweinenacken wie oben beschrieben marinieren,danach in einer erhitzten planne ambraten.

1 kleine zucchini in scheiben 1 rote paprikaschote in stucken und 2 kinleine zwiebeln in ringen dazugeben, andunsten und ca. 5 minuten dunsten, 250g gegarten reis dazugeben, mit salz, Ostmann pfffer weis gemahlen und Ostmann paprika scharf abschmecken und nach wunsch mit einer knoblauchsauce servieren.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope I've typed that lot correctly. Thanks for the help, 'er indoors is looking forward to this Gyros.
That recipe is for a "greek style" Gyros. (Gyrospfanne, Athen.)

500g (ie 1lb) of pigs neck cut into lumps in the marinade and then fry. (in a hot pan!)

Cut 1 small zucchini (courgette) into strips, Cut 1 red paprika (pepper) into lumps, and mix with 2 small onions cut into rings,
Add the lot to the meat mixture and and then stew together for 5 minutes.
Add 250g of cooked white rice. Salt and pepper. Add paprika to taste and serve with garlic sauce.

Have fun.

Thank you Steven. Shall give that a go Saturday night.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Am I forgetting something gyros was lamb, not pork?

Or did the Herforder affect my taste buds that much?

Went into our local Lidll today. They had got Frickadellen(sp) but hadn't got any Gyros Meat. Asked a bloke in the shop, and he didn't know what I was talking about, said he'd never heard of it. Will try again Friday as they are having a delivery Thurs night.

Went into our local Lidll today. They had got Frickadellen(sp) but hadn't got any Gyros Meat. Asked a bloke in the shop, and he didn't know what I was talking about, said he'd never heard of it. Will try again Friday as they are having a delivery Thurs night.
I worked for Lidl as an Assistant Manager for a bit, the guy was fobbing you off. Ask to speak to the Asst Manager or Store Manager and politely tell them what you are after. They will know if it is incoming on the delivery and if it isnt they will have a reference number for it and WILL be able to get it. Lidl stock so many brands and items that a lot of the time individual stores stock just the special items that sell in the area, probably why you were unaware that they stocked it if you shopped there.

I used to order individual items all the time that people had seen in other Lidl stores. Like the Appfel Korn we never stocked until someone asked for it. Within a month we couldnt get enough of the stuff !!

Thank you Hakagure, will follow your advice when I go in there on Friday.

Thank you Hakagure, will follow your advice when I go in there on Friday.
My local Lidl's had some Greek frozen grub in the freezer section when I spotted it.I was in there this avo & they did'nt have any,but plenty of the kebab meat.They've also disconnetinued Bratwurst in my local one!!!!

Sorry if I've sent you on a bum steer mate,but they do stock it!! Hakagure's quite right,I've approached the manager to get the Bratties back in.

I worked for Lidl as an Assistant Manager for a bit, the guy was fobbing you off. Ask to speak to the Asst Manager or Store Manager and politely tell them what you are after. They will know if it is incoming on the delivery and if it isnt they will have a reference number for it and WILL be able to get it. Lidl stock so many brands and items that a lot of the time individual stores stock just the special items that sell in the area, probably why you were unaware that they stocked it if you shopped there.

I used to order individual items all the time that people had seen in other Lidl stores. Like the Appfel Korn we never stocked until someone asked for it. Within a month we couldnt get enough of the stuff !!
I don't suppose Lidl sell Herforder do they? I've searched high and low (OK, I've looked on the internet) for somewhere in the UK that sells it, but to no avail.