Gyros.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by brummieboy1, Aug 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Grandson who lives in Germany, has sent me some packets of a marinade for making Gyros. Although he was born in Cambridge, he has lived most of his life in Germany, so talking to him is a little difficult as I unfortunately don't speak German.

I recognised the words garlic and zuccini (sp) but apart from that I'm lost.

Can anyone help with a recipe please?

2. If it's Maggi "Gyros Fix" Contents of packet + 100 ml water + 2 dessert spoons of oil add mixture to 350 grams of meat. Let it marinade for 30 mins(or longer) Fry.

3. Add stuff to other stuff. Cook. Eat.

How about just a tiny little bit of help - like what it says on the packet perhaps?

Look under the word - "Bereitung".

4. Sorry. Meant to do that. This is what it says. The firm is Ostmann, its called Fix & Fertig marinade. Gyros.

I can understand the part where I put the sliced meat in a dish, pour the marinade sauce over it, and into the fridge for 30 mins.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rezepttipp; Gyrospfanne, Athen.

500g geschnetzelten Schwweinenacken wie oben beschrieben marinieren,danach in einer erhitzten planne ambraten.

1 kleine zucchini in scheiben 1 rote paprikaschote in stucken und 2 kinleine zwiebeln in ringen dazugeben, andunsten und ca. 5 minuten dunsten, 250g gegarten reis dazugeben, mit salz, Ostmann pfffer weis gemahlen und Ostmann paprika scharf abschmecken und nach wunsch mit einer knoblauchsauce servieren.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope I've typed that lot correctly. Thanks for the help, 'er indoors is looking forward to this Gyros.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Google translate isn't to bad, if you can fill in the gaps; ie paprika instead of pepper etc:

Google Translate.

link includes recipe translation!

6. Thanks, but I tried doing that, it leaves words in German such as Ambraten Planner, what does that mean, and there don't appear to be any cooking instructions. I'm at a loss here.

7. For real German authenticity you need to go down town, find a cellar bar and drink 10 bottles of Herforder pils, (or similar) followed by a bottle of Asbach Brandy, round it off with a swift Jägermeister. Afterwards stumble home to eat your Gyros, make sure you have plenty of tzatziki sauce on it.

Then go to bed await dizziness and sweaty palpitations, quickly sit bolt upright and then projectile barf all over the Mrs’ back. Sorted.

8. That recipe is for a "greek style" Gyros. (Gyrospfanne, Athen.)

500g (ie 1lb) of pigs neck cut into lumps in the marinade and then fry. (in a hot pan!)

Cut 1 small zucchini (courgette) into strips, Cut 1 red paprika (pepper) into lumps, and mix with 2 small onions cut into rings,
    Add the lot to the meat mixture and and then stew together for 5 minutes.
    Add 250g of cooked white rice. Salt and pepper. Add paprika to taste and serve with garlic sauce.

Have fun.

9. Thank you Steven. Shall give that a go Saturday night.

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Lidl's sell ready to use Gyros meat the same as we got in BFG!

11. What!! I shall be going there tomorrow. Thank you spike, thank you very much.

12. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Am I forgetting something gyros was lamb, not pork?

Or did the Herforder affect my taste buds that much?

13. Really?!?! Is it labelled as "gyros"

14. In Greece and Cyprus, the meat is typically pork but can occasionally be chicken or veal.

I've had lamb Gyros before though.

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Yup.They also do a kebab meat in Chicken,Lamb or Beef that is very good!

medium_e213ab4bd3eeeafab0daec80917a69d5.jpg