Gyros recipe?

Discussion in 'RLC' started by catchyerselfon, Aug 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any takers(not that kind!)
    I have tried to replicate it since getting back to UK but to no avail, all the online recipes are sh1te, Lidl dont sell the frozen jobbers here anymore either.
    Thought some of our readers might be able to help.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. I jst get packets of the spice sent over from friends in Germany. The Zaziki sauce though is something I like to make myself.

1 tub of Phildelipha
    I big pot of natural youghart
    bulb of garlic
    black pepper

Put into a big bowl, mix together and scoff the lot. Play around with the amounts of the ingredients above til you get your exact taste. The more Phildelphia you put in, the thicker it gets. Also nice on chips.

Enjoy and let me know how you got on.

P.S. I'm not a bean burner, just love cooking :)
  3. I thought that every true Brit would know this....

Take a job, for between 8 to 10 months.
    Shag the bosses missus. - Simmer for 10 minutes until caught.
    Get the sack.
    Take one Job Centre operative and stir it until until it boils.
    Sign on every two weeks

Hey Presto.....Instant Gyros.

Oh .... I see what you mean....

poor mans kebab.

Take BaggyInBlacks recipe, but mix in 20 "Grosse bitter" of Warsteiner. You won't know the difference.

You also forgot the Frites with garlic mayo.....

Or at least, that's how we used to do it in Paderborn

4. Baggy in Black
    Any idea of the name/make of the spice mix or where its sourced which shop etc?
    A very Hungry Catch
    Tzatiki sauce looks ace tho thanks
  5. Aye, just get a mate to go to any supermarket (Marktauf, Aldi, Lidl, Real) over there and go to the spice/sauce section and get the packet that says Gyros on it. Get him to send over. Get a bowl of diced pork, open packet, pour and mix. Leave to soak in. Get the frying pan out and cook. Pour over the Zaziki sauce and feel like yer in heaven as ye eat.

6. Cheers Blerk!
    What could be simpler, all i have to do now is hoodwink me old china out of the Naafi supermarket one day!
  7. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Try this

Cut pork loin crosswise into thin slices. Slice then into strips 5 x 1/2-inch. Combine olivie oil, german mustard, lemon juice, minced garlic and oregano, cumin and paprika. Pour over pork slices. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 8 hours. Meanwhile, in small bowl stir together yogurt, cucumber, garlic, and dill. Cover and refrigerate. Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Drain marinade form pork slices and place pork in single layer in shallow pan. Roast until crisp, about 10 minutes. Open each pita havf to form a pocket. Distribute pork among each half. Top each sandwich with some chilled yogurt mixture and sliced onions.
  8. This is ace!
  9. Yummy!
  10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Guys guys guys,

Kraut kebab/gyros/schwarmas are of course Gods food. They were designed by Angels of mercy for hungry squaddies defending the Father land whilst on the tug, and reasonably so. BUT has anyone tried Belgian Gyros's from just outside (NE corner) of The Grand Place?

That is our Mecca gentlemen, that is our mecca.
  11. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Update to recipe posted above:

Followed this last night with the exception of cumin. I put in a small amount of corriander. Mixed together ingredients with fair bit of olive oil. Put in pork and also whole sliced onion rings. Good mix then cling film.

At 2300, could not resist but lift cling film for a sniff..........Yeeeeeeeee Haaaaa, oh how the memories are flooding back.

0900, cling film back and it smells the DB's. 1900hrs, Gyros, pommes and tzaziki

Taste report to follow. :D
  12. Mine is in the bowl as we speak too!
    This evening is gonna be gyros-tastic!
    Smells great cant wait to eat it all up. I really do miss a good gyros teller so its Lidl cevapicis and a chicken breast too with my pommes and tzatziki.
    Again taste report to follow
  13. Fcuk me readers that was superb.
    Tzatziki was an absolute knock out(i used smoked garlic)
    Get me being all naked chef on you all.
    Thanks for the recipe ideas.
    A very full
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

munching on shwarma as we speak, dutch (lamb) not boche (pork) but damn good.
  15. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Gyros cooked for 4 - RESULT