GWS

Hi Guys
Any of you Medics serve in Op Granby?
If so, could you remember/name all the injections given to the troops?
I remember having two that were mandatory and refusing the offer of others.
I am reading about the GWS
Would you know if any of the jabs were naughty?
I don't suffer from any ailments as far as i know.
Apologies if already done.
Paul

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
we've just done a thread on GWS where some were listed.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
img013.jpg img014.jpg img015.jpg img016.jpg
Here's my vaccination record, it raises more questions than it answers I'm afraid as I haven't a scooby what Bio1 nad Bio2 are. The 2 certificates are Cholera and Yellow Fever and bear in mind that BATS and Naps were taken plus (FFS) anti-malaria drugs!

B-M,

What the hell were the injections listed as "Biological 1,2,3" etc?

The mind boggles!

B-M,

What the hell were the injections listed as "Biological 1,2,3" etc?

The mind boggles!
As I said, I don't have a scooby! I wish I did, no-one seems any the wiser when they see it! As for mind boggling it probably did in my case!

As I said, I don't have a scooby! I wish I did, no-one seems any the wiser when they see it! As for mind boggling it probably did in my case!
Looking again you've had 5 of them. Anthrax mebbe? I'm sure my anthrax for GW "The Sequel" was only 3 or 4 though.

Still, a nice cocktail BM. Add a bit of depleted uranium and nerve agent wafting in and you are well sorted!

Already done! As greyfergie says I'm truly buggered! Expecting compo when I'm 110!

Looking again you've had 5 of them. Anthrax mebbe? I'm sure my anthrax for GW "The Sequel" was only 3 or 4 though.

Still, a nice cocktail BM. Add a bit of depleted uranium and nerve agent wafting in and you are well sorted!
I can recall getting an Anthrax jab in Colchester MRS prior to Iraq (Telic) and getting a couple of follow up jabs once I'd arrived at Camp Coyote in Kuwait.

Anthrax schedule and adjuvant to make it work better:
The widely used British anthrax vaccine, Anthrax Vaccine Precipitated (AVP), became available for human use in 1954. This was a cell-free vaccine in distinction to the live-cell Pasteur-style vaccine previously used for veterinary purposes. It is now manufactured by the Health Protection Agency.

AVP is administered at primovaccination in 3 doses with a booster dose after 6 months. The active ingredient is a sterile filtrate of an alum-precipitated anthrax antigen from the Sterne strain in a solution for injection. The other ingredients are aluminium potassium sulphate, sodium chloride and purified water. The preservative is thiomersal (0.005%). The vaccine is given by intramuscular injection and the primary course of four single injections (3 injections 3 weeks apart, followed by a 6 month dose) is followed by a single booster dose given once a year. During the Gulf War (1990–1991), UK military personnel were given AVP concomitantly with the pertussis vaccine as an adjuvant to improve overall immune response and efficacy.

Brat medic, I didn't go to GW1 but did do Telic 1 and like you got an armful of vaccines. The typhiod, tetanus, polio, Hep B, yellow fever and cholera vaccines you were given all look like pretty standard stuff to me (I'm an NHS immunisation co-ordinator in a public health team). The meningitis one is slightly more difficult to identify as meningitis is a generic name for inflammation of the meninges which can be caused by more than one micro-organism. Meningitis group C vaccines are routinely given to children now but I don't think they were back then as the vaccine, to the best of my knowledge didn't exist in 1990/91. It is possible the meningitis vaccine you had was against menigococcus groups A, C, W135 and Y which are seen in other countries (e.g. Saudi Arabia) but much less common in the UK (apart from group C which was common until we started routinely immunising against it). I think the "biological" vaccine is likely to be against anthrax. For details of all of these conditions and the vaccines currently used against them read the relevant chapter of the Green Book here:-
Green Book – individual current chapters | Immunisation

Also might be worth reading the MOD Veteran's Agency reports into Gulf War Syndrome particularly the sections on Medical Countermeasures and Vaccine Interactions here:-

https://www.gov.uk/gulf-veterans-illnesses#the-vaccines-interactions-research-programme

Latest Threads