Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys
    Any of you Medics serve in Op Granby?
    If so, could you remember/name all the injections given to the troops?
    I remember having two that were mandatory and refusing the offer of others.
    I am reading about the GWS
    Would you know if any of the jabs were naughty?
    I don't suffer from any ailments as far as i know.
    Apologies if already done.
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

we've just done a thread on GWS where some were listed.
  3. Ta, i'll look it up.
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

5. Cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  6. img013.jpg img014.jpg img015.jpg img016.jpg
    Here's my vaccination record, it raises more questions than it answers I'm afraid as I haven't a scooby what Bio1 nad Bio2 are. The 2 certificates are Cholera and Yellow Fever and bear in mind that BATS and Naps were taken plus (FFS) anti-malaria drugs!
  7. You're buggered BM!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Don't I know it mate!!! Still here though!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. B-M,

What the hell were the injections listed as "Biological 1,2,3" etc?

The mind boggles!
  10. As I said, I don't have a scooby! I wish I did, no-one seems any the wiser when they see it! As for mind boggling it probably did in my case!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Looking again you've had 5 of them. Anthrax mebbe? I'm sure my anthrax for GW "The Sequel" was only 3 or 4 though.

Still, a nice cocktail BM. Add a bit of depleted uranium and nerve agent wafting in and you are well sorted!
  12. Already done! As greyfergie says I'm truly buggered! Expecting compo when I'm 110!
  13. I can recall getting an Anthrax jab in Colchester MRS prior to Iraq (Telic) and getting a couple of follow up jabs once I'd arrived at Camp Coyote in Kuwait.
  14. Anthrax schedule and adjuvant to make it work better:
    The widely used British anthrax vaccine, Anthrax Vaccine Precipitated (AVP), became available for human use in 1954. This was a cell-free vaccine in distinction to the live-cell Pasteur-style vaccine previously used for veterinary purposes. It is now manufactured by the Health Protection Agency.

AVP is administered at primovaccination in 3 doses with a booster dose after 6 months. The active ingredient is a sterile filtrate of an alum-precipitated anthrax antigen from the Sterne strain in a solution for injection. The other ingredients are aluminium potassium sulphate, sodium chloride and purified water. The preservative is thiomersal (0.005%). The vaccine is given by intramuscular injection and the primary course of four single injections (3 injections 3 weeks apart, followed by a 6 month dose) is followed by a single booster dose given once a year. During the Gulf War (1990–1991), UK military personnel were given AVP concomitantly with the pertussis vaccine as an adjuvant to improve overall immune response and efficacy.
  15. I seem to remeber their being a bubonic vaccine offered as well. It was not compulsory.